Author Topic: Hernia Repair Advice  (Read 6806 times)

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Hernia Repair Advice
« on: December 13, 2019, 06:51:12 AM »
i am resigned to getting my inguinal hernia repaired
it's said they do not improve on their own, and often worsen over time
i dont want to need to have it dealt with away from home
it's also said the repair surgery works very well, generally
some issue re open vs arthroscopic, altho mine's so small i cant imagine it being done open on me
interesting is that laparoscopic is done under full general, vs other anesthesia options with full

no real prob surfing--it pops out very occasionally--sorta random (so0metimes it comes out during a session, sometimes not, more often late in day, no real pain, just a little nagging

maybe there shd be a forum section called "ailments" given what i assume our demographic is here at the zone

whatever the case any advice based on knowledge or experience would be appreciated
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Re: Hernia Repair Advice
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2019, 07:12:51 AM »
EB, As kinda a German/Polish Mule I have had my left side done twice.  That and back issues started after wrestling garrison tents in the Army.  The second repair was re-done with mesh 20 years later - open pit.  No biggie; it's coffee break work for a decent surgeon.  I can feel the added chuck but it is not painful, nor do I have that 'Pop out and potential strangle' issue you experience. 

Jim

(my wife was an OR nurse for 20+yrs, so I got all the stories...)
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2019, 08:02:52 AM »
I've had a small one repaired and a big one repaired. I had the top surgeon at our hospital do both of mine. My wife's a med/surg/onc nurse and has worked with the surgeon for over 20 years. Any surgery is risky especially in an area where they can nip or puncture your bowel. You can go from zero to septic in a mater of hours and be in real trouble. I had both of mine done by direct incision. Just one cut for each and a quick heal. The surgeon can see exactly what they are doing and messing with. The laparoscopic isn't all it's cracked up to be. You'll have 3 incisions and they need room to work the tools, so they inflate your abdomen with gas (like a balloon). That makes for a much longer recovery. A lot of people think that high tech is better. In this case no. My surgeon says he only does them or recommends the laparoscopic when it's a repair of a failed repair, so they don't have to cut the same place again. I had the mesh in both. I can feel the mesh at times on the big repair, but it doesn't hurt or bother me. Usually a long drive with the seat beat strapped across my lap. Not a big deal. Post op is easy.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2019, 08:40:14 AM »
My wife has mesh pain sometimes. She had her’s done ages ago. Did you see the Netflix doc about plastic mesh issues? Not good.

supthecreek

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2019, 08:44:03 AM »
I had an umbilical hernia in the mid 90's
Fully insured all my life, with a Major Medical Gold Plan.
I was paying $10,000 a year at that time, for a high deductible plan.

Hernia wasn't covered..... A frick'n Hernia wasn't covered.

I never paid another insurance bill in my LIFE.
NEVER. I was done.

I lived for 10 years with a growing mound around my navel.

Prone surfed with it.
I bounced my fat self off that hernia for a decade... and it hurt every time.

Around 2005, I felt an instant change happen.
I self diagnosed from the internet.... since I hadn't seen a doctor in those 10 years.

Walked into an insanely busy Hospital Emergency Room on a Friday night.... 3 hours just to check in.
I simply walked past everyone and said "I have a strangulated hernia"

BOOM.... 20 minutes later they were operating on me. (Mesh)
Because I was correct in my diagnosis, and as TD said...it can kill you very quickly. 

3 days in a private waterfront room, overlooking the harbor. VERY expensive... and very nice.  ;D

NO insurance. None.

A month later I got a bill for $14,000.... I threw it away.
Never heard from them since.

Get'er done Eastie... it's a cakewalk!
And you don't want it going bad by neglecting it.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2019, 10:16:00 AM »
My wife has mesh pain sometimes. She had her’s done ages ago. Did you see the Netflix doc about plastic mesh issues? Not good.
My surgeon went over the details about the mesh problems. He explained the different types of meshes, how and where they are installed. He said most of the problems are with female patients where they are trying to do internal supportive work (girl bummer stuff) and a specific type of mesh. They can drop down and move out of place much easier.
It's not overhead to me!

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2019, 11:28:32 AM »
thx for all---appreciate it---gotta do this

gonna find out what my surgeon plans--open vs lapa--what kind of mesh etc

ill post an update

btw--wonder how cookie's doing with his gunshot shoulder???

buncha broken old men!
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2019, 01:37:46 PM »
I lived with a hernia until I finally just took the steps necessary to get it repaired. And was so happy I did.

I had an interesting surgeon. He only does laparoscopic. He acknowledged the efficacy of open incision, but believed in the benefit of someone specializing in one method, and the expertise that brings, especially in regards to minimizing the associated risks.  If a patient elected open incision, he would refer to his colleague. It worked for me. Minimal post-op recovery issues. 

"The use of mesh during laparoscopic hernia repair is associated with a relative reduction in the risk of hernia recurrence of around 30-50%. However, there is no apparent difference in recurrence between laparoscopic and open mesh methods of hernia repair. The data suggests less persisting pain and numbness following laparoscopic repair. Return to usual activities is faster. However, operation times are longer and there appears to be a higher risk of serious complication rate in respect of visceral (especially bladder) and vascular injuries."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12535413
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2019, 02:03:43 PM »
Suggest you read up in just how common chronic post op pain is. The surgeons wont tell you by and large.
two friends spent over a year in really bad pain.

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2019, 02:44:02 PM »
I had an umbilical hernia in the mid 90's
Fully insured all my life, with a Major Medical Gold Plan.
I was paying $10,000 a year at that time, for a high deductible plan.

Hernia wasn't covered..... A frick'n Hernia wasn't covered.

I never paid another insurance bill in my LIFE.
NEVER. I was done.

I lived for 10 years with a growing mound around my navel.

Prone surfed with it.
I bounced my fat self off that hernia for a decade... and it hurt every time.

Around 2005, I felt an instant change happen.
I self diagnosed from the internet.... since I hadn't seen a doctor in those 10 years.

Walked into an insanely busy Hospital Emergency Room on a Friday night.... 3 hours just to check in.
I simply walked past everyone and said "I have a strangulated hernia"

BOOM.... 20 minutes later they were operating on me. (Mesh)
Because I was correct in my diagnosis, and as TD said...it can kill you very quickly. 

3 days in a private waterfront room, overlooking the harbor. VERY expensive... and very nice.  ;D

NO insurance. None.

A month later I got a bill for $14,000.... I threw it away.
Never heard from them since.

Get'er done Eastie... it's a cakewalk!
And you don't want it going bad by neglecting it.

Wow Rick, it seems like we've been on the same plan!

juandoe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2019, 01:31:05 PM »
I do this every day.  I would recommend a robotic repair or laparoscopic repair.  Much faster recovery.  Lower incidence of chronic nerve pain.  I see you are in the northeast. Check out Yusuf Kudsi in Boston.

loosehead

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2019, 05:57:52 AM »
you go in , they knock you out, you wake up ,you go home.no heavy lifting 6 weeks. piece of cake.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2020, 08:52:04 AM »
update: had open repair with mesh last tues--postop's been fine, but for serious back issues from lying around a lot at first--was progressing well, then on day 3, woke up with what seemed to be sciatica on the opposite side from the repair (never had this before: severe deep burning pain in upper right buttock area)unable to stand or walk to the bathroom without excruciating pain--so funny tho: back pain, not incision pain--go figure--so then started icing the incision area AND my right lower back, 30 on/30 off--woke up day 4 much better but pain lingers in same spot

biggest takeaway for me is not about the surgery, it's about my inability to lay still for long periods of time without getting awful cramping, back pain, and (seems) sciatica!---worries me ill end up some day with an ailment that renders me bedridden for a while--i wont fare well with that, given this short period of inactivity---ive learned that if i cant stretch daily and often, i tighten up painfully--no stretching allowed for now, if it complicates the abdomen at all---and you pull muscles along the way that beg to be stretched--based on the weird positions and strength moves you engage to get out of bed, stand up, climbs stairs etc---all toght and protective, but no stretching allowed--whine!!!

ive consumed no commercially available pain meds--no opioids (except the one dose given me at hospital, which i painfully vomited up on the ride home), no advil, no tylenol---green flower only--why not legal everywhere? so lame

ill have more later on choice of open surgery etc--gotta take my walk to try to loosen up---i do one early daytime long walk--then try a second, but often too tight to get far with the second---hope to get two loose walks in today

net, ima live thru this, and ima whiner--this is teensy medical torture compared to what many face

hope wardog's evolution to retirement has been a happy one--he was a decent, honest, hardworking, intelligent businessman--in theory, those are key factors to ongoing success.....................

also, got a killer session, as an 8 week goodbye to surfing, last sunday at a gorgeous new england point break--we got in at dawn for 2 or 3 hours of best waves--then it got crowded for last 90 mins or so, but a great last session

given that sesh, and the training ive done, safe to say i went into surgery in top condition--eager to get started with whatever training stretching i am allowed next week
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 09:00:15 AM by eastbound »
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2020, 10:06:52 AM »
Sounds like your surgery went well. I experienced a little lasting numbness an inch or so around the incision. It lasted for a month or so, but I don't notice it anymore. You'll be back at making drops and bottom turns soon enough. I'll get sciatica flare-up's now and then, but the stretching makes it go away quick. I don't sleep in anymore because my back starts hurting on about the 7th hour. If I sleep more than 8 hrs, I'll wake up with a very sore back. 
It's not overhead to me!

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2020, 07:23:28 AM »
same with me--any more than 7.5 hrs laying down (asleep or not) and  i get up with back pain--usually fixed with a hot shower and a stretch

this thing had me laying down for some 22 hours per day during initial recovery--the cramps and back issues were worse than the gut cut pain

i thought i was well-trained for this, but next time ima do yoga daily for 30 days prior--cant think of any other way to prevent this shit

proner budddy's sending clips from el sunzal and troncones--looks nice down there--he's ripping it up

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal