Author Topic: Little help on quiver selection please  (Read 2841 times)

biggins

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Little help on quiver selection please
« on: December 19, 2019, 04:51:52 AM »
Ok, I’m finally nearing retirement and will travel to windy spots nine months of the year!

Me: 170lbs, kiting since Lou and Eliot, with two line Blades etc. not an david fouler but had no issues with foil/kite in straps.

Plan: Travel the world like Cane and wing foil my arse off! :)

1. I was given a gong allvator L 80cm 1650ish projected. Do I need a bigger foil if I’m only riding in 15 knots plus? Can I get away with one foil fine or should I add the XXL? 2200cm

2. I’m thinking of the f one inflatable for travel at 75L anyone tried ? My goal is to go full sinker as the wind is 20 ply knots every day.

3. F one swing quiver: can I get away with a 3.5 and feather it or should I go 4.2/2.8?

Thanks much folks, looking forward to finally relaxing and following the seasons.

D

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Little help on quiver selection please
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2019, 10:40:48 AM »
At 170#, you will probably soon discover the pleasure of light wind wingfoiling, so I'd say your quiver might anticipate that. Maybe 5.0/3.2. I don't see a need for an inflatable board unless you plan to travel in bush planes. Certainly, the packability is advantageous but the foils and masts are hard and fixed-size anyway. A small, light board and a good bag might make packing easier and safer since you can use one bag for foils, masts, and board and they can reinforce and protect each other. A little time and money spent on a custom board that would accommodate a nested packing approach might make everything easier and increase performance.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

biggins

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2019, 11:06:20 AM »
Thanks Bill for the reply.

I’m going to be in 20+ everyday spots so I’m thinking that the 3.5 should get me going and hold to 30s...but not sure if the 4.2/2.8 might be better. Would prefer to travel light.

American Airlines charges $200 each way for bags over 62”. I’m thinking the 5’8 75L f one might be sufficient performance and avoid the airline charges. An extra 62” bag is only 30 bucks so a couple of those is still better than one oversized bag.

Any thoughts on foil quiver? My thinking is that the underwater foil makes a much bigger difference than the wing. So maybe one wing and then change foils?

Thanks again,

D

PS I think we’ve met a few years ago in Hood River

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2019, 01:50:11 PM »
Hi Biggins,

Sounds like a great adventure.  Are you already winging or are you just about to get started?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2019, 02:53:09 PM »

Any thoughts on foil quiver? My thinking is that the underwater foil makes a much bigger difference than the wing. So maybe one wing and then change foils?

That's not really the case, at least it's not so at my size (230#). I use a 1020 Axis for about everything. I've got the 960 but it's never been wet. I also have a lot of GoFoils that are not being used much except for surf foiling--sometimes. I fiddle with stabilizer size and angle, and fuselage length more than front foil size, and even that I change much less than wing size.

I change wings according to wind strength. I generally use 5M up to 25MPH, and 4.2 from 25 up. On rare occasion when it's really nuking I get out the 3M. Even at my weight the light but consistent wind days are the best. Steady 15mph is simply so great. I want a 6M to go lower. It's hard to explain other than in surfing terms: I'd rather have glassy and medium than big and choppy. And when the wind is big, it's always choppy. You'll see. It will easier for you to choose your quiver when you have a few dozen sessions under your belt.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 02:55:26 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2019, 06:16:24 PM »
I'm with PonoBill on using one foil and just switching wings. I tell people getting into kite foiling the same thing, find a foil that you like how it rides and then build your quiver around it. As far as getting on a full sinker board to start with, I would get used to using a bigger board first, then drop down in size.

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2019, 08:44:18 PM »
Biggins, before you start your travel, check some of the credit cards out there that offer annual credits for luggage and travel fees   My Amex Platinum allows $200 annual credit toward airline travel fees ( excess luggage, ticket changes etc) .
Also as a kiter I am sure you are aware of the “golf bags “ which fly free.

Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2019, 11:19:06 PM »

1. I was given a gong allvator L 80cm 1650ish projected. Do I need a bigger foil if I’m only riding in 15 knots plus? Can I get away with one foil fine or should I add the XXL? 2200cm

So I’ve ridden a few of the Gong foil wings (I’m also 170#) and since you already have kite foil experience, I think you would definitely prefer the Gong pro foil wings. I use the pro XL (1733 sq cm projected). It’s just way better for winging than the standard slow/thick wings. It should have a better high end and low end than your Allvator L. I use mine from the low teens to the low thirties with the 4 and 5 m duotone wing dings.  The Gong foil wings are very reasonably priced even with shipping. Their Al masts are a bit flexy, but for flat water winging it won’t be a big deal. Enjoy retirement!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 11:28:57 PM by obxDave »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2019, 02:26:53 AM »
If you have never winged before you are in for a real treat.  It is amazing fun.

A few thoughts.  There really aren't any locations that are 20 + (or even windy) every day.  We have lived in the Gorge and Maui for the past 30 years and have traveled to most of the wind spots in their peak seasons.  There are still light stretches and zero stretches.  One of the best things about the wing is that it turns those light days in to yes days.  I completely agree with what has been written about the fun on those light days.  You don't want to miss that. 

You are my weight exactly.  If I were travelling with only two Swings it would be a 5 and a 3.5 (but on our recent trip I used the 4.2 the most).  I haven't used the 6 yet, but I can't wait.  The 3.5 Swing is awesome but there are a lot of incredible days where  you would be beached if that was all you had.

75 liters is going to be hard to learn on when it is windy.  I would get started on a much bigger board and then try some smaller ones.

You have a lot of time on the foil already so some of this may have already worn off but to me each foil is a little hunk of carbon magic.  All different and all brilliant in some way.  I am looking forward to trying all of the new ones that are coming out.  I don't know how the Gongs feel but on the Axis program I would not want to be without the 1020 or the 1000.  The 920 (Chan's main foil) would be my one foil setup but I wouldn't want to give up the others.  There are days when the 1000 won't do it (although the 6 meter Swing may change that). 

We just traveled internationally with gear.  5 Swings fit in a "golf" bag.  Two sinker boards fit in a second "golf" bag.  Foils go in foil bag.  Knee start board in a board bag.  We did get charged $200 each way but the kite rental operation where we were wanted $250.00 for a foilboard for 3 hours (and had only kiteboard sizes).   

« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 03:24:28 AM by Admin »

biggins

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2019, 05:46:25 AM »
GREAT advice folks! Thank you so much.

I have only wingdinged twice on a sup board and it was very cumbersome. Transitioning was easier but it just felt like I was riding a tanker. I’d like to get to a more kite sized board for that carvy feeling....and for travel.

Great advice on cards and golf bags...sometimes they actually check and then I get whacked with $200 each way. :(

You know y’all are right on the light wind option. I recall enjoying kite foiling more in 12 knots steady than in 30+. I’ll certainly try it out. I just hate the idea of needing a tanker board every time the wind is below 15 knots...hmmm. It’s just like surfing I suppose: I want it to paddle like a longboard but as soon as I pop up become a short board. Lol

Thanks for all the help, helpful bunch. ;)

D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal