Author Topic: Tips on upwind transitions?  (Read 8575 times)

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Tips on upwind transitions?
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2020, 04:31:33 PM »
 You're right with the 360, I'd be happy with getting out on the toe side of it to begin with tho. Going from heal to toe wasn't that bad. Felt weird to go into it but then I realized I should of went for it sooner. Hopefully cleaner winds for me tomorrow so I can nail these tricks.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2020, 08:19:32 PM »
Nailed my first ever tack today, speed is the answer, what was the question?? But seriously, I was overpowered, on a speedy axis 101 foil, and I could have gone a hundred yards without any added power at the stupid speed I was holding, so I decided to tack. Why not.

I drove upwind across the eye, switched my feet and got comfortable on the new tack, then brought the wing across from straight overhead to powered up. I think some ancient muscle memory from my wind weapon days kicked in, but it all seemed kind of automatic. Of course, I didn't make the next ten I tried, but the first one was brainless and worked perfectly. 
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

peterp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2020, 10:02:23 PM »
My 5 cents after beginning to get them going from toe-side to heelside.

1) Carry good speed
2) Sit as high as comfortable on foil
3) Carve into wind very gently, too aggressive and it gets complicated
4) Sheet in slightly with back hand while carving towards eye of wind
5) From here everything has to do with front hand movement, lift front hand high (higher than you think) and move it aggressively across in the direction of the turn. This turns your shoulders and the board will follow
6) Switch hands on wing and sheet in hard with back hand - this will pull nose of board around the last bit.

Single most important bit is point 5 - time this right and tack almost happens automatically.

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2020, 10:37:32 PM »
But seriously, I was overpowered, on a speedy axis 101 foil, and I could have gone a hundred yards without any added power at the stupid speed I was holding

I saw Dwight’s new 101 and that thing looks like a drag racer compared to my old-school Gong XL pro! Although I watch Patrice tack with his XL pro with lots of glide so I know it’s a technique issue (of course the guy is a guru and balance wizard on anything he rides). Then I watch people like Alan Cadiz tack with endless glide on his GoFoil GL 180 and think I just have to get one,...or a 101.  I’m at equipment envy stage....

Peterp: timing 5 right is important for me to make the tack, but doing 6 really quickly is what keeps me up on foil...........since I don’t have all that extra foil glide of those GL’s and 101’s!  ;)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 10:54:15 PM by obxDave »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2020, 02:12:22 AM »
Have any of you tried the tack at 0:43 ?  Switch hands before/right at initiation of the board turn.  That looks really slick.

https://youtu.be/yTwQrkO8WaE?t=41
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 03:06:04 AM by Admin »

peterp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2020, 05:42:28 AM »
Have any of you tried the tack at 0:43 ?  Switch hands before/right at initiation of the board turn.  That looks really slick.

That clip demonstrates perfectly my point 5. Front hand up high and bringing it across in the direction you want to turn and everything follows. Once it starts clicking this is easier than trying to turn into the wind first.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2020, 06:48:18 AM »
Hey Peter, 

Yes, that looks great.  It also looks like he is switching his hands at the beginning of your step 3.  I want to get that one in my head and learn it. 

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2020, 06:56:31 AM »

Hmmmm, I keep looking at my own video. I feel like the moment I start the upwind carve I’m releasing and swinging it overhead. The video shows he’s doing it even earlier. Interesting. One thing I know from experience is that the “regrab” backhand  pull can’t start too early otherwise the wing isn’t catching wind in the new direction (to finish pulling you around and regaining speed). My boom camera angle still kinda sucks. Anxious to see what it looks like using my Staaker drone

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2020, 07:29:26 AM »
Staaker Drone.  Wow!  That thing looks fantastic.  Does it do alright in wind?

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2020, 07:41:25 AM »
Found the FAQ.  This sounds terrific!

What wind speeds does the Staaker operate in?  We have tested that the Staaker functions in winds above 50 kmh (30 mph), however we do not advice to operate the Staaker in winds above 30 kph (20 mph) for achieving optimal tracking performance.

What happens if my Staaker loses track of me?  Your Staaker will hover in place and try to recover the signal from the tracker. As soon as signal is recovered, the tracker screen will prompt you to press the Play button to resume the current follow mode. If signal is not recovered before the battery runs low, the drone will land at its current location (or fly back to takeoff location in case of water sports). You can easily find the Staaker using the "Locate Staaker" function on the tracker.

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2020, 03:05:59 PM »
Found the FAQ.  This sounds terrific!

What wind speeds does the Staaker operate in?  We have tested that the Staaker functions in winds above 50 kmh (30 mph), however we do not advice to operate the Staaker in winds above 30 kph (20 mph) for achieving optimal tracking performance.

What happens if my Staaker loses track of me?  Your Staaker will hover in place and try to recover the signal from the tracker. As soon as signal is recovered, the tracker screen will prompt you to press the Play button to resume the current follow mode. If signal is not recovered before the battery runs low, the drone will land at its current location (or fly back to takeoff location in case of water sports). You can easily find the Staaker using the "Locate Staaker" function on the tracker.

So maybe I’ll start another thread on “gps tracking drones” for wing foiling rather than get this one too far off track, but yeah, Staaker has a top speed of almost 50 mph and cab easily follow kite surfers/windsurfers/wingers etc in winds in the 25 knot range.  When tracking close to the rider it can be challenging to keep the subject in frame during higher winds, but there isn’t much else that will even work in this category (DJI drones will always require a dedicated pilot, but the new Skydio 2 has great potential). Here is a video of Staaker in action over in Europe (not me) showing its wind/water capabilities

https://youtu.be/YMGEUZg1B18

supmmmm

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2020, 08:44:58 AM »
Anyone have any images or videos of upwind with a harness attached to wing showing the tack?

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2020, 12:46:05 PM »
Anyone have any images or videos of upwind with a harness attached to wing showing the tack?

Why would you want to try it hooked in?  Seems like it would be much more difficult, if possible at all. 
I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:
   4' 27L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4’5” 34L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4'11" 60L Armstrong Wing/Sup

Foils: Armstrong HA525, HS625, HA725, HA925, HS1050, HA1125, HS1250, HA1325
Wings: BRM 2M & 3M, FreeWing Nitro 4M, OR 5M & 7M Glide

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2020, 11:04:25 PM »
Got another tack yesterday, once again, 99% accidental. I was sort of thinking about a tack, but I got hit from the side with the goofy wave in the Portagee Triangle at Kanaha--any Maui windsurfer knows what I'm talking about. Lost my balance, leaned way too far onto the toe rail, completed the turn while I was trying to keep from falling off the board. The wing came over my head so I reverse hands and off I went. I didn't actually realize I had tacked until I had sailed some distance. "Hey, I'm going in the other direction?!?" Gratuitous interrobang.

So I'm two for two on clueless tacks and 0 for 30 on intentional. I think I'm on to something in a Charlie Chaplin/Harold Lloyd sort of way.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2020, 05:38:40 AM »
Look at JB’s toe side to heel side tack at 1:18. He just leans into it and pumps the board all the way around. Wide, and easy.

Heck, I think I can do that. Next session I will try.

https://youtu.be/yTwQrkO8WaE
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 05:40:35 AM by Dwight (DW) »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal