Author Topic: Foil lessons - Cable park - Florida Keys  (Read 2919 times)

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Foil lessons - Cable park - Florida Keys
« on: December 10, 2019, 11:59:23 AM »
Those words hit my brain like a warm cinnamon bun.  Wow, what a winter option.

And, I always thought 'cable parks' were like what they still use to train trotter horses - simply a merry-go-round ...round and round and round.  I called for some more into and their system is linear—out and back—with the ability to back the handle up to you when you inevitably fall. They provide all the kit, using that Slingshot multi-height mast process of training. 

https://keyscable.com/info/

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Foil lessons - Cable park - Florida Keys
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2019, 07:24:00 PM »
Yeah man, I had a thread about this. My work trip fell through or I would have done it. Seems like the best way to learn for sure. It pulls up and away from the foil if you just hang on a bit during a fall.

Do it!

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2019, 12:07:03 AM »
I've learnt foiling exclusively on a wake board cable like that. My first session was in early August and I'm now riding a prone surf foil board.

I didn't have any instruction as there wasn't anyone there who could teach me, so was all trial and error, but I think it's an excellent way to learn, as there is very little down time, and you're forced to turn every 25 seconds so the sessions are really focused. Also I had to deal with the wake board ramp furniture and anchor lines which forces you to get control of the foil.

Go for it!
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Swift Foil Boards custom 4'10 x 19.5" 35L
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Axis ART 799, 899, 1099, HPS 880 US & CS Adv fuse, 85cm mast
Gong Fluid L-S, XXL-S on 85cm and 65cm mast
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2019, 11:42:45 AM »
Cool, SF...  Ya, you see that 'furniture' (love it) in their pictures. These folks need a foiling Ken Burns to go down there to make some vids.  My grandson doesn't break from UC Riverside 'till Spring... Argggg.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2019, 06:28:54 AM »
I wish I would have gone this route. I just didn't think a wake park would allow a foiler.

I ended up buying a boat to learn behind. But trying to coordinate time and schedules. A wake park would have been a much better option.
SupSurfMachine 9'9" longboard
SupSurfMachine  8'2" funboard

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2019, 09:51:44 AM »
I was really lucky, I think, as I did get turned down from a couple of places, but that was before I got the kit.

As I have a young family, time is in short supply and if I was going to learn, I was going to commit, but it had to be on my terms, when I had the time, and not having to coordinate with tide and weather. Finding a cable was a requirement before I bought the kit - there isn't a school, so was always going to have to do it on my own.

They took a chance on me for sure - they could have easily said they didn't want the risk, but the owner was really enthusiastic about it. Think he's foil curious too!

Been going every week and happy with the progress. I found leaning to foil alone was an experiment exploring the ways one can fall into water, with any glimmers of progress needing real analysis to understand how that progress was made. Definitely felt like progress was stalled at points and then suddenly you'd realise what the issue or technique was. Sometimes I think the progress was just the time invested allowing you coordination to develop.

One thing I did do, which I'm still not sure if it was a mistake, was to learn on my smaller foil - 1250 Naish Thrust. I guess it's kinda like learning to windsurf on a short board, and I probably did fall off more but now it's all I know.

Switching from my SUP to the prone board the first was amazing - got up on my second attempt and been having a total blast! Still using the SUP to learn stuff on though - getting comfortable riding, pumping and cornering switch and swapping feet around.

Looking forward to putting all the new foil skills together with the wings, which haven't been inflated yet! Waiting some decent weather, but until then it's time on the cable, working on the skills...
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2019, 07:09:45 PM »
Solent where are you? I’ve been looking in So cal. Seems more east coast or FL.

Solent Foiler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2019, 11:17:15 PM »
Solent where are you? I’ve been looking in So cal. Seems more east coast or FL.

I'm based on the south coast of the UK. What I would give for your weather!
I'm 5'10", 66kg riding:
Gong Lethal 4'6 65L
Takuma RS 5.1, 4.3, 3.5

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2019, 01:40:12 AM »
I’ll give you that. ;)

I’m going to see if the Texas guys are allowing this yet too.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal