Author Topic: Blue Planet Wingsurfing vid and tips  (Read 20926 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Re: Blue Planet Wingsurfing vid and tips
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2019, 04:52:08 AM »
Geez, this is outstanding.  Cruising these ground swells on the outside looks like heaven.  Did you say what size foil you were on?  I am stoked to hear about your progress on the prone board.  Please post video of you guys working through that.  It will be super helpful to the rest of us who are interested in that. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoFg5iaIk2w

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2019, 07:11:24 AM »
Nice video. You have to switch feet every once in awhile, or your legs do burn out. Same deal with kite foiling. Flkiter switches his feet so fast, you don’t even see it happen.

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2019, 09:53:38 AM »
Thank you for posting our latest video admin, I'm stoked you enjoy the videos.  I will probably try using my 4'10 prone foil board today and will let you know how it goes.
I have not tried the foothooks with the wing yet, I just went straight to using straps but I'm sure they would work great and they allow for good control without being as restrictive as straps.
https://www.blueplanetsurf.com/eva-foil-foot-hook-w-3m-adhesive-each.html
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2019, 10:37:16 AM »
Cool video, very helpful. I'm working hard on switchfoot jibes. I tried doing heel/toe but it kills my bad knee.

I've got a sleazy cheater way of doing 3/4 of a foiling jibe. I start into the jibe with good speed. turn fairly hard downwind and start the wing transition as soon as I move through the eye of the wind, then I bring my back foot forward and try to slide my front foot back. The board comes off the foil, I hop to switchfoot and try to use the remaining speed to get back up again. It almost works most times and I actually nailed a full foiling jibe yesterday but I'm not sure how the hell I did it.

I still suck at foiling on the starboard tack. I need a lot more wind to get up, and once I'm up my control is marginal but improving. For some reason, the board tends to wheelie more on the starboard tack. Port tack I'm instantly up in the same amount of wind and I can make the board go wherever I want. I'm certain this is 90 percent in my head. When I get going fast on starboard tacks I feel like I'm going out of control and often crash. On a port tack, I'm happiest when the board is ripping like stink, way faster than my nervous nellie tightness going starboard.

The process of learning this stuff is so much fun, I'm reminded of the first few years of windsurfing. I realize I should be more patient, it took me years to learn to windsurf well, I'm frustrated when this stuff doesn't just come to me instantly, as it does to the kids and the really good foilers here on Maui. Alex looks like he's been doing it all his life, but I know he's been at it less time than I have. But every day is a little progression. So much fun.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 10:39:21 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2019, 12:08:28 PM »
I have not tried the foothooks with the wing yet, I just went straight to using straps

Are both of your footstraps on the far side of the centerline?

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2019, 12:40:20 PM »
Geez, this is outstanding.  Cruising these ground swells on the outside looks like heaven.  Did you say what size foil you were on?  I am stoked to hear about your progress on the prone board.  Please post video of you guys working through that.  It will be super helpful to the rest of us who are interested in that. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoFg5iaIk2w

thanks for posting admin and great work as always from your team blueplanetsurf robert  8)

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2019, 03:21:15 PM »
I'm finding I use two techniques, a pump down, switch feet technique and a speed load the foil style. I'm coming from years of kite foiling with a 20 liter or smaller board so I'm used to having to do stuff quickly but with the sup and prone foil boards, it's like slow motion with regards to the board and foils reaction time. If you pump the board down then it'll come back slowly giving you time to switch your feet. Think of the pump down is you throwing the nose down with your toes. You don't have to be perfect because the boards have a bigger sweet spot and the wing can be over head providing lift. Don't look at the board and come off your up wind line a little so the wing doesn't pull you off the board or just keep the wing high to not get pull and just lift. If you learn to ride with your feet together it'll also help to give you the center line of balance of the foil. You can always step to that position while switching feet. Don't think too much about it. I'll also use the wing to lift me instead of the pump down method. If the wing is above me and I'm going down wind (gaining speed) the foil will provide more lift and with the wing helping with lift will let me ride with both feet near the front of the board. I think learning without straps is better, I ride with and without straps but teach without. In the beginning all this stuff will seem like it's happening really fast but once you're relaxed and get familiar with it, you'll see it happens pretty slowly.

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2019, 04:12:45 PM »
I just realized something that might help those trying to get used to switching feet. Start on your weak side foiling. Then while riding heal side, switch to toe side and then do your jibe. If you're comfortable on your weak side, the foot switching will get way easier. It can also be easier for some to do a back side turn to heal side as it's easier for others to do a heal side turn to toe side.

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2019, 09:54:25 PM »
Admin, my front strap is centered but angled,  the back strap is slightly offset to toeside.
Thanks for the stance switching tips.  I'll try it again without straps. I will try to pump down, hang weight on wing and switch stance just before jibing.
I tried using my 4'10 prone board but there was not enough wind where we launched and I could not get it going.  Then I had a great session on my 5'8 Carver SUP foilboard, I'm starting to nail tacks consistently.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 09:59:17 PM by blueplanetsurf »
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2019, 02:42:31 AM »
Thanks Robert,

I like it.  I am going to try that strap setup on the little board.  I will probably just ride that one toeside.  Thanks!

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2019, 06:54:43 AM »
Now that winter is reducing time on the water for much of us, I have a recommendation for cross-training. 

If you have access to a TRX or suspension trainer, you can easily replicate the pumping motion and build stamina and strength quickly. 

I've noticed that after winging sessions where a lot of pumping was required, my leading shoulder's deltoids and other rear muscles get quite sore (in a good way).  Mainly that is from trying to pump toe side (I'm not switching stances yet), where my left shoulder (regular footed) is put under more strain when pumping. 

I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:
   4' 27L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4’5” 34L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4'11" 60L Armstrong Wing/Sup

Foils: Armstrong HA525, HS625, HA725, HA925, HS1050, HA1125, HS1250, HA1325
Wings: BRM 2M & 3M, FreeWing Nitro 4M, OR 5M & 7M Glide

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM