Author Topic: The future is already here, it's just unevenly distributed  (Read 2741 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The future is already here, it's just unevenly distributed
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2019, 11:25:03 PM »
Yet another tech sufficiently advanced to where I start to lose the difference between it and magic.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2019, 02:48:31 AM »
That is crazy.  They said, instantly.  What is the thinking there?  Are they saying that this is occurring faster than the speed of light or truly simultaneously with no time gap.

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2019, 03:16:57 AM »
That is crazy.  They said, instantly.  What is the thinking there?  Are they saying that this is occurring faster than the speed of light or truly simultaneously with no time gap.

Yup. That is entanglement. The two particles could be light years apart, theoretically and if entangled will “instantly communicate” their state to each other. Einstein did not like the theory at the time and dubbed it “spooky action at a distance”. Well it seems that everyone sometimes gets it wrong.

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2019, 04:35:08 AM »
That is very cool and a little jarring.  I guess that is why Einstein chose the word action rather than reaction. The article mentions sending information from one chip to another but that is not really what is happening, is it?

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2019, 05:34:04 AM »
That is very cool and a little jarring.  I guess that is why Einstein chose the word action rather than reaction. The article mentions sending information from one chip to another but that is not really what is happening, is it?
Information is not a physical thing, so "sending" has always been about as close as we have to the right word for it. You send thoughts in a letter, but no one uses that word for phone calls. We started using it again for emails and videos, though. Some small amount of time does have to get introduced so that the state can be pulsed to generate digital information. A large array could set a large number of corresponding states simultaneously, but there is still some time to do the encoding and decoding. Not a lot and this theoretically would allow a colony on Mars to communicate in real time even when in opposition (other side of sun). Crazy stuff. I dislike the way they portray it as teleportation because that has come to imply sending a physical thing intact.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2019, 09:14:43 AM »
It sounds amazing.  All other forms or data transmission that I am aware of have latency (and latency which increases with distance).  If I understand it correctly, this is zero latency at any distance.  Both sides updating truly simultaneously. I could see where that would be problematic for Einstein.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2019, 10:00:18 AM »
Yes, it's zero latency. Important for quantum computers and computers in general. They use the word Teleportation instead of transmission since transmission infers information moving from one place to another. There is no motion associated with entanglement, the change in the quantum state occurs simultaneously.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2019, 10:10:58 AM »
Part of the problem with quantum is the language barrier.   The terms we use to describe the processes don’t accurately apply.   Past explorers navigated uncharted waters to new lands.  This wouldn’t have been possible if the world was flat as was thought (or perceived).  NASA can’t explore further galaxies using Newtonian physics although on earth apples don’t fall far from trees.  Einstein didn’t build a time machine and Galileo didn’t create time.  We seem to be right at the precipice of understanding an existence beyond time or within spacetime.   I could understand why Einstein worked so hard to disprove his own theory and why Musk is so interested in the simulation question.  If we can exist without time (t), don’t we exist without time?  Probably.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 10:12:58 AM by Chan »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2019, 10:27:00 AM »
I think so. Time is so mutable, so tied to relativity and gravity. Certainly doesn't mean much at the quantum scale.

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2019, 12:35:35 PM »
Yes, it's zero latency. Important for quantum computers and computers in general. They use the word Teleportation instead of transmission since transmission infers information moving from one place to another. There is no motion associated with entanglement, the change in the quantum state occurs simultaneously.
Interesting. Our semantics are the reverse of each others; I use the definition of teleportation that is the hypothetical instantaneous transfer of matter from one point to another and transmission as sending digital data or analog signals but not matter.  Transmitting data, I do not take the ones and zeroes out of my machine and send them to yours; some signals representing their state on my machine is interpreted by circuitry on yours that sets some of your ones and zeros to match. No point in debating semantics though; if you don't agree you will just have to let me sit here in my wrongness and be wrong.  ;)

Trying to understand time as related to physics makes my head hurt. I just watched an old Nova episode about that the other day. It was explained that the slowing and speeding up we are aware of, like the slight differences in time duration of a rocket flight measured from here versus inside the rocket, is greater when the space between the moving object and the non moving object (actually, that's another can of worms; the solar system is moving at 450,000 mph; so it is actually different relative speeds) is greater. The guy on the program talked about an alien light years away moving toward or away from the Earth being in line with our future or past by a reasonable amount. That seemed pretty irrelevant since he was light years away so anything would be from the past by the time it got to him. But not if he had the capability for instant communications. Although the meaning of "instant" is a little nebulous in that scenario.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 12:38:50 PM by RideTheGlide »
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal