Author Topic: Foil Wing Repair - Damaged in Shipping  (Read 3120 times)

Seattle-Wind

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Foil Wing Repair - Damaged in Shipping
« on: December 05, 2019, 12:03:07 PM »
I received my new Gong XXL Pro foil wing this week and unfortunately one side of the wing poked through the protective foam and was chipped. I'm going to have this repaired professionally or do it myself. What is the best material and process for repairing these wings?

Piros

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • www.vonpiros.com
    • Email
Re: Foil Wing Repair - Damaged in Shipping
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2019, 03:17:38 PM »
Should be solid on the end , you could just sand back to smooth , not ideal I know but fast & easy , or just build it up a little with some epoxy and loose carbon strands and sand smooth and give a light spray of semi gloss acrylic which you buy from your local hardware store for under 10 bucks. If you want it to look like new again you'll have to spend the money and get it done professionally.
Von Piros Productions
Land Behind, Fish Below, Stories Ahead

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2019, 03:41:39 PM »
Good advice from Prios, I would not spend too much on fixing it, chances are you will scratch the wingtips on the bottom soon enough.
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2019, 04:16:27 AM »
If it were me, I would not sand it to smooth.  It would, to some extent, make each side asymmetric.  I would mix a little epoxy with a high strength filler like aluminum powder, wood flour, milled fibers or whatever, put some black pigment or graphite powder to color.  Before applying to wing, sand area and apply and work in a small amount of plain resin(with hardener) to sanded and broken surface. Apply filler , enough to overfill area.  Sand/file to shape after curing.  Coat with layer of resin and wet sand to finish.  It is really not very difficult and a buddy or shop may give you the small amount of materials needed.  Or you could just sand it to shape now and forever wonder if it makes any difference.

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2019, 10:54:10 AM »
One other thought.  I can remember a day, on the beach, when I took a hacksaw to my wings and very crudely cut off the downturned winglets with no regard for symmetry.  Wing worked just fine and overall I liked it much better without the winglets.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal