Author Topic: red's Go Foil Blue Tail Hack Job  (Read 11393 times)

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: red's Go Foil Blue Tail Hack Job
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2019, 07:52:33 AM »
From above

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2019, 07:54:17 AM »
Weight is about the same. 1/2 oz more for the KAI.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2019, 08:04:36 AM »
The GL Combination (GL210 and GL Narrow Tail) lets you fly on NOTHING.

This is more realistic for . . . . PLANET EARTH than the stuff that Austin is doing.

Then again we all aspire to be Austin Kalama.  But check out how this thing flies the flats:

https://youtu.be/5EUGX9_zD5c
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 08:19:18 AM by Beasho »

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2019, 04:02:18 PM »
Thanks for the pics Beasho.

I just finished a foil sesh 2 to 3ft and the new 18W has a lot of lift and speeed compare to kai and maliko. Turning wise is about the same though the maliko and the kai especially turn a lot quicker.

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2019, 10:06:41 PM »
I will be sad if they stop selling the 18 Narrow tail.  I almost bought another one to CUT it down further.

My take is that it has slightly MORE downforce at speed than the KAI tail BUT it is faster.  The KAI tail also introduced a bizzare buffeting.  It was vibrating but NOT humming when pushed hard at speed.

Look at the lines.

My Maliko tail used to hum so loudly I thought my fillings might fall out. Did the 45 degree file on the trailing edge as per Alex's video and it's much better though I still hear it a little sometimes. No hum with the 18W. I've probably mentioned before, I get this sort of "dancing" (could also call it buffeting) sensation sometimes from the Maliko at speed through turbulent waters that I don't feel with the 18W. Doesn't do anything, just interesting. Haven't tried the Kai. I couldn't really say one turns tighter than the other though, just less lift (a good thing) with the 18W. Certainly the Maliko was the ticket for learning. I won't be cutting mine though, that's the next owners option.

805StandUp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2019, 08:38:56 AM »

My Maliko tail used to hum so loudly I thought my fillings might fall out. Did the 45 degree file on the trailing edge as per Alex's video and it's much better though I still hear it a little sometimes. No hum with the 18W. I've probably mentioned before, I get this sort of "dancing" (could also call it buffeting) sensation sometimes from the Maliko at speed through turbulent waters that I don't feel with the 18W. Doesn't do anything, just interesting. Haven't tried the Kai. I couldn't really say one turns tighter than the other though, just less lift (a good thing) with the 18W. Certainly the Maliko was the ticket for learning. I won't be cutting mine though, that's the next owners option.

Interesting... my original Maliko 160 used to hum..my 2nd Maliko tail paired with my IWA/M200 no noise at all... and my new 18N has a high pitch wail.  If it annoys me enough I will do the 45 degree file.  Picked up a Kai tail with my GL setup a couple months ago and have been playing with tails quite a bit too.  GL180/18N, GL180/Maliko, GL180/Kai, M200/18N...etc.  Maliko most lift and also most stable, 18N seems to have best pumping, Kai seems to have tighter turning.  Still need to play more.

Surfside

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2020, 11:22:36 AM »
Wow! Thanks a bunch to all those folks that have contributed to this and previous threads! I removed 1 1/4" from each tip of the Maliko tail and what I have read is pretty much my experience. But, here is what really excited me... I can now foil in offshore winds. Woohoo!!! Prior to the modification, stall and breach was the norm for offshore conditions.

A friend made this remark after he tried his cut down yesterday. Why did we wait so long to do this?

;D

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2020, 01:03:57 PM »
I have the maliko tail and don't know what to do with it because I'm liking my new GL 18W tail.
Thinking about modifying the mailko tail as either like the 18N or 18W with wing tip like I'm seeing lately in media testing the GF wing tip tails.

supunk

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2020, 01:06:46 AM »
My modded wing tip tail. Bought cheap off ebay. Running under slung to give me a little more headroom. Have only tried it with the IWA so far. It had less lift than the M200 stab but had greater speed and pump and only needed subtle input to turn. It breached more easily in turns as I am only running the 24.5 mast hence the switch to underslung to give a little more headroom. I am interested to see how it goes with the GL210 :)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 01:13:42 AM by supunk »

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2020, 12:50:08 PM »
My modded wing tip tail. Bought cheap off ebay. Running under slung to give me a little more headroom. Have only tried it with the IWA so far. It had less lift than the M200 stab but had greater speed and pump and only needed subtle input to turn. It breached more easily in turns as I am only running the 24.5 mast hence the switch to underslung to give a little more headroom. I am interested to see how it goes with the GL210 :)

supunk, is that a fanatic tail wing and which type/size/model is it and how did you modified the holes (pics)? Notice you reverse the pedestal  as well like some gofoil testers I’ve seen?

supunk

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2020, 06:19:20 AM »
Hi JEG. Stab is off a Fanatic Flow foil. Stab is a 250 (not certain what that relates to?) and is 15" wing tip to wing tip. Only bought as it was cheap on ebay and I like to fiddle. I filled the back hole with a carbon fibre plug cut from carbon fibre sheet. It was glued in with epoxy and carbon fibre dust to thicken. Just redrilled to get the correct spacing. I have it underslung as I found the wing tips had a tendency to breach in turns when it was mounted on top. I only have a 24.5 mast. I have made an epoxy spacer to allow the aero shape of the stab to fit in the aero shape of the pedestal. I may have to use some spacers to get the right angle of attack. I have still to try it with the 210. I have the narrow GoFoil stab but found it a bit skittish with the 210. At present I prefer the 210 with the M200 stab. Cheers :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal