Author Topic: Drying out your wetsuit...  (Read 5702 times)

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Drying out your wetsuit...
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2019, 11:43:04 AM »
that's the boot drier i use, frp--but for gloves/boots (and ski gear also) -- "hanger-blower" is much faster for the suit

and clay, all my suits are chest-zip -- no problem getting on/off the hanger -- and you put the suit on the device plug it in and it's dry in 2 or 3 hours -- no flipping inside out over and over etc

and i rinse nothing in my quiver -- except my rubber -- rinse it all thoroughly and dry after ea use

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

supthecreek

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2019, 11:54:25 AM »
ummmmm, I use this device, that I found in my home

It works well. Dry every time  :)

I was scared to try the clothes dryer. Any settings?

I use a low heat setting.... they dry very quickly.
Sand is not an issue, I walk straight from the water to my van..... and brush the sand off my booties before I take my suit off.

Folks always say using a dryer ruins wetsuits, but I have a VERY different view on that.
Rubber seems to get geometrically better every year - super stretchy, gas filled, Fire Fleece lined....

New suits are far better than a suit made 3 years ago....
so why would I want a suit to last forever???

I paid $149 for my 5mm full suit,  fully Fire Fleece lined, super stretchy.... (Henderson TherMaxx dive suit)
On my 3rd season... still feels/looks new

BUT.... next year, I'll spring for a new one.
Even I can handle $50 a year for maximum comfort.

Every couple of sessions, I throw everything in the washer.
Boots, gloves, suit, rashguard..... full wash on large load, with detergent, in warm water.

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2019, 05:52:03 PM »

Sand is not an issue, I walk straight from the water to my van..... and brush the sand off my booties before I take my suit off.

Folks always say using a dryer ruins wetsuits, but I have a VERY different view on that.
Rubber seems to get geometrically better every year - super stretchy, gas filled, Fire Fleece lined....

I paid $149 for my 5mm full suit,  fully Fire Fleece lined, super stretchy.... (Henderson TherMaxx dive suit)

Boots, gloves, suit, rashguard..... full wash on large load, with detergent, in warm water.

Agree with Creek.  if, Like us in the northeast, you spend Nov-April in Boots, gloves and a 5/4 or even more- Its worth a few extra bucks to be ready to surf when the waves are good.

the new fleece lined suits dry so fast its scary.  the real issue is the boots and gloves.  I have tried both the boot dryer 9with heat) fan etc etc.

The best by far is putting the boots and gloves on my heating duct pipe.  not too much heat, just enough and way better than forced air.  Not to mention- my basement dehumidifier is in that room.

I also subscribe to the ' a winter wetsuit is always worth saving' mentality.  Because gloves rip, zippers break etc.  Save everything and bring 2x to the break.  Ive had mismatched gloves bots and taken off suits after zippers broke or toes punctured etc more times than i car to swear about (And I did at the time)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2019, 08:57:50 PM »
I used to only wear a wetsuit went it really got cold here in the winter. Water low 60's. Once it dipped into the 50's (which is rare), I'd give a a few weeks and we'd be back into the 60's. Those South swells usually bring warmer water. Even then, spring suit or vest only. Lately (in my later 50's) I've found my extremities getting a bit colder. The 3/2 full-suit is hot but generally more comfortable as long as I float a little. Now I find myself using this full-suit just about every time I surf. Might try hosing my suit down and sticking it in the dryer?
I have a 4/3 that I've worn once. I lasted about 20 minutes in it, then changed into my 3/2 spring suit. Mo betta. 
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

MaartenAir

• Waikiki Status
  • If in doubt, paddle out
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2019, 01:31:21 PM »

New suits are indeed a lot better . Went out yesterday in 5 degrees Celcius and 20knt wind. Windchill facor minus 6. I was toasty warm in my new Ion suit. Bought for 149 €.  For that money I can buy a new one every few years.
BTW  I put my suits in the washer too.
Regards, Maarten
Starboard Whopper 10
Sunova The One 9'5"
Fanatic Allwave LTD 9'1"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal