Author Topic: Drying out your wetsuit...  (Read 5703 times)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Drying out your wetsuit...
« on: December 05, 2019, 10:01:23 AM »
I have a number of wetsuits that go unused for a good percentage of a year. In the past if needed a wetsuit two days in a row, I would just use a different wetsuit if one was still wet from surfing the day before. I recently bought a new wetsuit that fits me better than my other/older ones. Now that winter has hit SoCAL and the water and air has dipped into the lower 60's  ;D I've been wearing and favoring my new RipCurl 3/2 full-suit. We haven't had as much sun lately, so I've been hanging it in my shop to dry. The next day it's still wet inside. I'm not going to drive around with it hanging on my car mirror either. I'm looking at buying one of these. Anyone have their own tricks for drying their suits?
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Drying out your wetsuit...
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2019, 10:11:10 AM »
ive had that very device for years, TD, and have found it excellent--suit dries in 3 hrs--no heat, just room temp air blowing thru inside of suit--always travel with it---hate a wet cold suit---and suits tear easily when trying to don when wet---i swear by mine--giving a friend one for xmas

i dry boots gloves on an old ski boot drier--much less important than a dry suit, but dry boots and gloves feel good when donning in a 30 degree parking lot (like last weekend!)

and i find that, with each swell around here, one needs to get on it pm first day, then am next to get more than one sesh--gotta dry the suit between
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2019, 10:48:33 AM »
You guys are scaring me, though I will admit that putting on a wet, cold 3/4 suit in the Gorge led me to conclude we should NOT sell our house in Maui. I need to change my tagline. We took it off the market.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

laszlo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2019, 12:57:32 PM »
Looks like a beautiful house. To what do you attribute it not selling?

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2019, 01:05:21 PM »
There's only one determinant to something selling or not in any market (stock, real estate, car, widgets, whatever)....the price that the buyer and the seller both agree is fair.

As fair as wetsuits go...don't like 'em, so drying them out is never a problem. Have two sets of sleeves when it gets "cold" in SoCal to alternate in, and call it good.  :)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 01:08:36 PM by SanoSlatchSup »
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2019, 01:14:25 PM »
I dry my wetsuit (on a hanger) and gloves (with clothespins hanging opening towards the fan) in my shower with a Lasko x-blower (like $67) It dries in a few hours. My booties I use a work boot boot warmer, which works pretty well, but it takes a bit longer. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WNYB65S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2019, 02:23:45 PM »
Funny thing is as I watched the video of the Ponohouse, I kept thinking where did Bill put all his shit? Not a single wire laying around anywhere!
That must have been painful....... ::)
It's not overhead to me!

supthecreek

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2019, 03:46:45 PM »
ummmmm, I use this device, that I found in my home

It works well. Dry every time  :)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2019, 05:12:38 PM »
Ah.... The single life. That's a no go with my better half. Sand in the dryer is a capitol offense. Sand stays outside. I have a fully adjustable carpet drying fan. I'll rig up something with that.
It's not overhead to me!

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2019, 07:17:40 PM »
Good question.  I have used a dryguy ski boot drier for years. I hang the suit on a hanger the ankles go over two prongs and my boots over two. The unit has a timer that goes for about three hours and there is a low heat setting with the drier.

Bob
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 07:20:53 PM by FRP »
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2019, 07:30:34 PM »
I think one key step is to rinse the suit really well to get the salt off before drying. A salty wetsuit takes forever to dry.

I wear my suit home and take it off in the shower. If you can't do that, rinse it off any way you can, inside and out. You could stomp on it with your feet in the bath tub or shower, or use the washing machine on rinse cycle.

After rinsing, hang it up in the shower, cellar or outside until it stops dripping which takes about an hour, then hang it someplace to finish drying. In the summer I hang it on a tree branch in the shade. (Never in the sun. UV will shorten its life.) In the colder months I hang it up indoors. Use the driest spot you can find. I hang mine in the stairway where the heat flows from downstairs to upstairs. A doorway also works. Put a towel under it if it's still dripping.

After a few hours or as soon as the suit feels dry to the touch on the outside, turn the suit inside out. You may have to do this a few times. The outside dries fastest so you want the wettest side out. Once the suit is mostly dry inside and out, leave the suit inside out until completely dry. The entire drying process usually takes about 8 hours for my 5/4 and/or 6/5. A 3/2 dries in about 6 hours.

The key is rinsing off the salt and turning the suit inside out a few times during the drying process.

Boots and gloves also need to be rinsed well. I have a milk crate with four vertical pvc pipes for drip drying. Once they stop dripping, I lay them down flat in front of a fan. They also take about 8 hours to dry completely.

I believe rinsing off your gear, drying it properly and keeping it out of the sun as much as possible makes it last longer. My Quicksilver 3/2 is seven years old and is still good as new.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 08:26:43 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2019, 08:18:38 PM »
I had two of those hanger blowers, great with a back zip suit and not so great with thick step in suit.  Also looks like an upgraded design I remember mine have pointy sharpish corners.

In winter wind is my friend for drying suits, wait until it's not raining then hang from the waist where they get some breeze.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2019, 07:45:24 AM »
+1 to CREEK He told me this years ago works perfect
Shop vac sand out but a good rinse in freshwater (SHOWER) keeps sand at bay

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2019, 10:18:31 AM »
ummmmm, I use this device, that I found in my home

It works well. Dry every time  :)

I was scared to try the clothes dryer. Any settings?

Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2019, 11:39:15 AM »
Here is my simple DIY wetsuit dryer.  Tiny 50 CFM bath fan.  Boots and gloves pivot up to drain.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 11:53:53 AM by Bean »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal