Author Topic: Got New Gong 7M Pro Wing  (Read 7982 times)

Seattle-Wind

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Got New Gong 7M Pro Wing
« on: December 03, 2019, 07:07:54 PM »
I received my new Gong 7M Pro Wing today, the largest wind wing on the market currently. Apparently this new shape packs a lot more punch, so I'm hoping for sub 10 knot sessions. I haven't had the opportunity to ride it yet, but here are my first impressions from unboxing and holding it on land...

Pros: Build quality is outstanding, my original Gong 5M has really nice quality, but this is on a whole new level (high-end kite brand quality IMO). Surprisingly light weight for its size. I think the windows will be really nice when riding (to look out for boat traffic on the busy lake I live on).

Cons: This is the nature of the beast, but when not on the foil I'll have to be holding this thing really high up with my arms stretched in order for the tip not to drag in the water, this could get tiring. And the center strut took forever to deflate.

I will report back with impressions once I get this thing on the water!

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Got New Gong 7M Pro Wing
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2019, 09:46:36 PM »
I will look forward to your review. I have been thinking of the 5M Plus Wing from Gong when I finally get around to purchasing my first wing.

I am assuming Rastaman you are meaning the Gong Wing Plus??? Or is there also a Gong Wing Pro?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 10:10:55 PM by Quickbeam »
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

Seattle-Wind

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2019, 10:34:54 PM »
I will look forward to your review. I have been thinking of the 5M Plus Wing from Gong when I finally get around to purchasing my first wing.

I am assuming Rastaman you are meaning the Gong Wing Plus??? Or is there also a Gong Wing Pro?

You're right - it's not called "Pro" it's called "Plus", good catch.

I really like my 5M (non-plus) Gong wing. I don't think you can go wrong with it. Great wind range, light weight, and great price. I've been having a ton of fun with it. I even got thicker gloves, booties, and a hoody to extend my season. I should be able to ride pretty much year-round here in the NW.

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2019, 11:06:38 PM »
Thanks Rastaman. I also live in the Pacific Northwest (Vancouver area), but have zero wind or foiling experience. So this will all be very new to me. But I am stoked about giving it a try.

My wife and I are going to be traveling a bit in the next couple of months, and given the cold weather and the fact we’re going to be away off and on, I’m thinking I’ll probably end up getting my first wing maybe February or March next year.

I will be really curious to hear how you like the Gong Plus compared to your first Gong (non-plus) and what differences you see, other than the obvious size difference.
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2019, 12:58:02 AM »
Hi Rasta,

What is the weight on the 7?

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2019, 09:16:44 AM »
Hi Rastaman. I had one other question for you. I was wondering where you live and how long it took you to get your Gong Wing?

Thanks.
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2019, 01:10:09 PM »
nice wing Rastaman3030 and let us know your feedback.
the exchange rate at the moment here in AUS is not that much in favour of Gong wing as we can get other brands at almost the same price.

Seattle-Wind

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2019, 01:38:53 PM »
Admin: I will weigh it with my luggage scale the next time I pump it up.

Quickbeam: I'm in Seattle, Wa. This order only took a week, which is the fastest I've received a package from Gong. Normally it takes closer to 2 weeks to get a big package from them.

JEG: I'll report back as soon as I ride it, unfortunately there is very light wind forecasted for the next week. In the US we don't have to pay VAT, which is 20% (prices listed on their site include VAT). A lot of people don't know if you go to the Gong website and create an account and enter your shipping information then it will remove the VAT if applicable. This wing was nearly half that of an equivalent from the other major manufacturers, at least for me here in the US.

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2019, 04:23:33 PM »
that is great news about the no vat 20%off  ;)

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2019, 07:41:15 PM »
Seems like a good combo 7plus and 5m regular should cover a fair amount of wind conditions.

Does your plus come with the same back pack storage bag as the regular wing?

I found it easy to weight it while it's folded up in the bag then just subtract the bag weight. IIRC My regular 7m weighted about about 7 lb and 5 oz
SupSurfMachine 9'9" longboard
SupSurfMachine  8'2" funboard

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2019, 10:28:02 PM »
Quickbeam: I'm in Seattle, Wa. This order only took a week, which is the fastest I've received a package from Gong. Normally it takes closer to 2 weeks to get a big package from them.

Thanks for the information Rastaman. Much appreciated.
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

jt737

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2019, 03:09:59 AM »
Hi Rastaman3030. Does the new Gong still have batterns in the wing? 

Thatspec

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2019, 05:20:33 AM »
...And assuming no customs duty? That was my fear, that it might be applied randomly, though have not heard that surf related items would be hit by the current tarif situation. Looked into getting the XXL pro front wing shipped to Hood River and it was about 70 Euro shipping but it would be almost a 1.5 meter long package, a lot bigger than a wing.

Takes about a week to get packages from them here in Germany as well.

Seattle-Wind

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2019, 08:18:09 AM »
Fishman: the 7M+ came in the same exact bag as my 5M original. I'm going to weigh the 7M+ and 5M today using that method.

jt737: Yes, it has 2 battens, same as the regular (original) wing.

Thatspec: I haven't had any customs duty on any Gong shipments (I've had at least 4 packages from them this year). Be aware that the XXL Pro wing is so wide that they don't have a proper bag to ship it in, I just got mine but the corner is chipped so I'll have to have it repaired. Even though they packed it up with foam and bubble-wrap, it still managed to poke through (not outside the box though). It's the only item I've received damaged from them so far.

supunk

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2019, 12:16:34 PM »
Hi Rastaman. Great to hear you have got your Gong 7M wing plus and XXL pro wing. Sorry to hear the foil is chipped. My 7M arrived the other day and am still waiting to give it a go as have been out SUP foiling like crazy. Will be great to hear your thoughts.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal