Author Topic: Some added feeble 2c on foot switching from a klutzy ole guy  (Read 1650 times)

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Some added feeble 2c on foot switching from a klutzy ole guy
« on: December 02, 2019, 04:09:07 AM »
Reading all this foot switch discussion evolving out of numerous threads, so I’ll try and add my worthless 2c.  I’m a klutzy ole guy and only have about 9 wing sessions so grain of salt always advised. This was how I learned to foot switch on a small kite foil board. I’m a baby step learner and things happen fast on a 20l board

TOUCH DOWN SWITCH: Foil at a low elevation (board close to water). Slight offset stance side to side, and your normal front to rear spread. Before you go for broke practice some foot shuffling without switching. Back foot quick forward and back to same spot; board will contact water but your already low. In fact do lots of additional small foot shuffling without switching. Wider-narrower side to side offset, wider-narrower front to rear foot spacing. You are actually figuring out your sweet spot and getting over the fear of moving your feet while on the foil. Also getting used to brief touchdowns the whole time.  Get good at this first before even thinking about a switch.

Now go for a smooth switch knowing that you’ll touch down during the process. Follow all the advice FLkiter gives (bear off downwind a bit, wing high). Don’t worry about all the foil pump down/up stuff, and despite best intentions you’ll be lookin at your feet. Just know you’re gonna touch down. If your front to rear stance is narrow it’ll be an easy touchdown. Concentrate on getting in the other stance balanced over the board without any real pull from the wing. If you’re pulling the wing to keep your balance you’re goin down!  When it starts to click you’ll know when to repower the wing. If you had decent speed going in you’ll likely pop right back up on the foil. If not who cares, just work back onto foil the other way.

Once you master the touch down switch, progressing to full airborne is not as terrifying. In the quick vid I was still doing kite foil touchdowns going strong foot forward (left leg) to weak foot forward this last summer, but could stay on the foil switching the other way. Always easier to switch to your strong foot forward. Now I’m finally staying up going both ways with the kite. Not yet with the wing, but getting there.  Of course if your 15 years old you learn all this in 30 min without any instruction!

https://youtu.be/TONR4y43oJg

« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 04:11:33 AM by obxDave »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Re: Some added feeble 2c on foot switching from a klutzy ole guy
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2019, 06:11:33 AM »
Have you tried completing the jibe to just past downwind, pumping once and switching your feet on the up (still in that just past downwind position)?  That is really nice because in that downwind position you are less crossed up than on a reach.  Great for uncooperative feet.

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Some added feeble 2c on foot switching from a klutzy ole guy
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2019, 04:23:30 AM »
Have you tried completing the jibe to just past downwind, pumping once and switching your feet on the up (still in that just past downwind position)?  That is really nice because in that downwind position you are less crossed up than on a reach.  Great for uncooperative feet.
Sure, that’s not uncommon and one solution, but requires a less aggressive jibe and always links the two. With a fairly narrow stance you legs don't feel as “crossed” and have less distance to move for the switch.  In video clip you see that my fore-aft foot spread isn’t that much larger on the 5’8” Board than it is on the 120 cm kitefoil board. You could even practice to see how narrow a spread you can ride comfortably with.  For now at least I like keeping carve transitions and foot switching mostly separate, even if linked just before or after the transition carve. I can switch any time without the “muscle memory” telling me it has to be linked to the middle of a jibe. 

Really want to work more on toe-to-heel upwind foil tacks, and try some downwind transitions to toe-side “backwinded” riding.  Both are higher speed more aggressive carves with no midway foot switching.  More terrified of the 45 deg water/air temps at this point!

« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 04:25:20 AM by obxDave »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal