Author Topic: Hip Arthrosis...there is hope!  (Read 5887 times)

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hip Arthrosis...there is hope!
« on: September 06, 2023, 04:06:09 AM »
I started getting pains in March.Left groin radiating over top thigh muscle to top/inside knee.Reduced mobility really hurting my surf popup, making it impossible really.

Gave it rest,stretch,massages..nothing helped.
XRays and doctors said it was left hip athrosis,and that the right hip would start hurting soon too.

Options were the usual, painkiller/anti inflammatory pills, hialuronic acid infiltration or surgery .

None were very attractive to me.

So searching for alternatives i found this:
https://youtu.be/Thz4tPRFs2Y?si=Qhbld2U6LWifI2W5

It is a commercial site but i have only used the free exercises shown from minute 04:00

Improvement was obvious in a week, one month into it  my popup is at 90% of what it was and surfoiling is fun again :) ,the pains in the morning or when getting out of the car are almost gone.I can live with this happily now.

So give it a try if you are in the same boat.
No infommercial, like i said i am only using the freebie exercises.

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Hip Arthrosis...there is hope!
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2023, 06:16:28 AM »
Thanks for sharing.
Hip pain (which would lead to lower back pain, which would lead to knee pain) was something I struggled with when I had a long commute, too much time sitting.  Now I try to minimize sitting to keep the glutes from going to sleep.  Things like defaulting to stairs and standing desks have helped.  I use the kettle bell to fire up the glutes when I feel it starting to flare up.  I will try these exercises too thanks.
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2023, 08:46:47 AM »
Welcome to the geezer party. I've had painful hips and one bad knee for years (like maybe 20). My knee doctor won't do a knee for me, He says I'll hate it give the stuff I like to do and my knee is too good to cut, though he just did both for my wife. My hips have been "pre-arthritic" for 20+ years--the muscles pull the joint too tight. For me, the answer is stretching, and I don't do enough of it. My pop-up pooped out long, long ago--SUP came along in the nick of time.

I'll try the exercises, they look a bit like what I already do. So with a little effort, I can add this to my regimen and do it religiously: I'm thinking easter, Good Friday, and Christmas.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2023, 08:48:53 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2023, 06:46:22 AM »
lost my popup years ago -- sup also a blessing -- hip replaced two years ago -- aok result -- can still do a stumble up on an LB -- now effing around a bit with foil and efoil -- same issue -- seems i need a quick solid popup, where a stumble up wont work -- too acute

the few times ive gotten to my feet on efoil, ive easily gotten up on foil and set back down ok -- but the effing popup with my dumb left hip (im reg footed, so it gotzta go forward) doesnt work -- the foot drags -- with WS watrstarts i flailed and then figured out a hip work around -- still flailing on my efoil

how do you pop up on foil? with a wing the stumble may work, but on efoil or prone nah
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2023, 10:17:31 AM »
I kneel on the board, get one foot forward, ready to stand as if I could. Get the wing flying and use it to help me lurch to my feet. I've been doing it long enough (three years) to be fairly good at getting my feet in the right position. I'm also fairly good at switching feet.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2023, 11:49:39 AM »
Using a dropknee stance works pretty good. You can leave your back shin on the board and get your front foot in place. Then when the front foot is in place give it a little more trigger and stand up on your back foot too.

Using a wing will probably be the easiest. If the wind is proper wind you can just hang onto that thing like it's a pull up bar.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2023, 08:28:53 AM »
Great news and yes, it's wild what a little effort can do. I think a lot of doctors sort of assume we won't bother. Most don't.

I've been reading "Built To Move" linked below. These folks launched a lot of the programs we see on social media. This is one of the sources of the 10,000 gurus.

It's simple and doesn't assume you'll do an hour a day in the gym. A lot of it is "sit like this while you watch TV."

I got it from a buddy who is a triathlete who told me he'd changed his training to back off a bit based on this book and felt better. If you're over 40 (we ALL are here it seems lol) read this. It's pretty short and 100% zero hype. Made to help you age gracefully and live long.

https://www.amazon.com/Built-Move-Essential-Habits-Freely/dp/0593534808

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2023, 10:19:22 AM »
When you see a doc, or a PT for help with your beat-up geezer body the first thing you need to tell them is that you're going to double down on everything. That you will actually DO the exercises and push through the pain. They need to know that because 99% of the people they work with won't. It's not just the fat folks, though that's a big part of why they soft-pedal everything. The US population is almost at 50% obese. For the people docs and PTs see, it's probably 90%. Most folks go to a PT expecting them to do all the work. Make sure they know that you'll do what they tell you, that you want them to push hard, and the experience changes dramatically. You probably won't find a PT like Shantelle Pierce on Maui, who pushes to the point where I want to start screaming (Dave Kalama told me he had to really bear down not to cry), but you might get close. Shantelle corrected my ankles, which were angled so much my big toe barely touched the ground and my knees were supinated (bowlegged). It wasn't fun, but it worked. I've been single-stepping on stairs for at least ten years. Now I don't.

Foil_Dreamer

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2023, 09:16:37 PM »
Chiming in as someone who had a hip replacement 9 years ago, got the Birmingham Resurface implant. Took me five years from osteoarthritis diagnosis until getting it done. Did the whole excercise bit, chiropracters, egoscue etc etc. Not knocking any of that stuff, even got some relief at certain points and who knows, maybe got a little more mileage in before I went bionic. But in the end, the articular cartilage wasn't coming back, was using a cane to walk the year before (but still kiteboarding - lifeguards loved seeing a guy cane it to the launch and then go out), and it eventually became obvious surgery was the only move.

But I need to note that some of the relief I felt at certain points was probably due to callus formation or a softening of the bone on the femur and was only temporary relief, not healing, and I was chewing up good bone. Luckily I became aware of the effect and was able to do the resurface before it would have not been viable and a total hip replacement would have been the only option. Both are fine I just felt the resurface implant was a much better fit for me.

As for the new hip, I beat the crap out of it for seven years, had more than a few impacts with waves and wipeouts where I would say if that didn't knock it out nothings going to. I'm moving towards lower energy conditions cause I'm getting old and lazy and dont need as much stoke but as far as I can tell the implant could still take some more abuse at 9+ years.

So my message is do all the excercise stuff, just be aware of the callus formation issue, and if an implant becomes necessary, don't sweat it too bad. It's a big deal surgery but it will solve the pain and, personal situation dependent, it can get you back out in the water going full blast.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2023, 06:09:54 AM »
love my stryker -- anterior approach
advice: pre-hab--go in for surgery in the best shape possible
post-surgical rehab--get a good PT -- watch out for private-equity-bought PT practices -- youre better off at home with minimal equipment, youtubes and insta, than trying to get care in these ruined businesses --- and "hab" is proactive 5% instruction, 95% your exertion ---exert a lot or dont expect optimal result
amazing surgery -- i could still surf when i went in but hiking skiing climbing etc were history -- ive got all that back -- tho im an old POS so........
tennis on clay even -- pickle? on hard court? no interest......lol
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal