Author Topic: "SUPyak"  (Read 5058 times)

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
"SUPyak"
« on: November 27, 2019, 05:26:28 PM »
So the big guy is putting one of these under the tree. I fish a lot and my boards are not great for that. I decided to go with a hybrid. Not great at either, but pretty good from all my research. I am actually getting a knock off (a "how are they not being sued" copy) of this board, the Vibe Maverick.

So what do you think - flat kayak you can stand on, SUP that converts or???

2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2018 Hydro-Force fastblast 12'6"
2019 BKC 12'

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: "SUPyak"
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2019, 06:45:00 PM »
Ask Admin. For a while he and Chan had the two second-ugliest whitewater SUPyaks on the Sandy River, Rivalled only by the abortion in plastic I was riding. I sacrificed some nice high-end fly fishing gear to the gods of stupidity in whitewater. My interest faded. In the highly unlikely event they still have them I bet the price would be right.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2019, 10:08:40 PM »
I just SUPyaked in my mouth a little.

But really, with these long paddles any boat under 15’ converts to a SUP. 😅

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2019, 01:23:14 AM »
The last photo is priceless. A yard sale waiting to happen. I have done a lot of surfing  with my 17’ ocean kayak (NDK Explorer) and we would strip the boats bare as anything lashed to the deck was sure to be gone in short order. There is nothing quite like screaming down the line on an overhead wave with one of these big boats. Yes I broke a few boats, and yes all the waves were overhead when you are sitting.

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2019, 05:36:39 AM »
There are a lot more photos and videos out there of people using them purely as SUPs and they don't seem too awful. A bit slow as a SUP, but an interesting thing is that kayakers (meaning people who own plastic SOT fishing kayaks) comment on how fast they are. Primary use will be paddling/fishing with the aforementioned kayakers, standing some and sitting some. It will also be a buddy boat to get people to go paddling. The actual one I am getting comes with the low seat and a couple of rod holders I might not attach in the spot shown (they come separate). It's got 5 gear tracks. Deck shape/size, location of gear tracks and D rings are all within 1/2" or so of the popular Vibe model in my first post. The included seat is even a copy of the Vibe Hero seat seen folded behind the guy in the whitewater.

I will take it through small surf to fish near shore. I used my touring yak for that this past season and we usually limit to around 3' or less. We cam in with higher waves when the forecast was off because there really isn't another option. The big Glide didn't have trouble with the surf, but it is not a great fishing platform.

I am admittedly being more of a kayak fisherman in getting this; I just wondered what the opinion of them is in more SUP centric circles.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2019, 10:43:32 AM »
Looks like fun. I have some friends on the Oregon Coast who use their SUPs primarily to fish and run crab pots. They launch and fish at spots that powerboat users, even Dorymen, can't get to without an hour or more of bouncing around in chop. They always have lots of fish and crab in the fridge. Good folks to know.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2019, 11:25:32 AM »
There are a number of inshore spots that are near impossible to get to without scraping a few oyster bars or following a crazy narrow opening through the reeds. There are a couple of places where people get out and drag over sand bars.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2019, 01:35:58 PM »
I like it. But I am the kayak guy who sups, never surfed and I find my delicate hard board a bummer for some of the creeks and beach landings. Fast? Maybe the sit on tops are really bad. Or compared to lake boats?

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2019, 04:02:12 PM »
I like it. But I am the kayak guy who sups, never surfed and I find my delicate hard board a bummer for some of the creeks and beach landings. Fast? Maybe the sit on tops are really bad. Or compared to lake boats?

I love paddling a hard board. But they only like water, air, bare feet and padding. Anything else touching them is bad juju.

Yeah, most plastic SOTs are pretty bad performance wise, especially those made for fishing. There are some notable exceptions like Vikings but most are slow. So fast means okay, though with the caveat of it being paddled. Pedal kayaks are reasonably quick because they get more power and use it more efficiently. A typical kayak fishing day is maybe 6 miles of paddling, often way less. Our nearshore trips are to artificial reefs about 1 to 2 miles out, so 3 miles round trip and then a bunch of quarter mile up wind, toss the drift sock in, drift and jig then do it again. Inshore sometimes the whole day is spent well inside a mile from the launch. Comfort, stability and good layout for tackle/equipment are what really sell the boats. Speed? Get a Bixpy; even the tourneys are allowing them. But I like to paddle.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

oceanAddict

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2019, 08:13:49 PM »
After a couple of striper fishing sessions on SUP, I realized I don't enjoy it and at the end of year splurged on a pedal fishing kayak. I went with Predator and in a hindsight, I'should've get something lighter.
Infinity Blackfish, SIC Bullet Air Glide, Sunova Point Break #003, Sunova Soul

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2019, 06:04:31 PM »
One of the things I'll be doing this spring/summer is setting up my 12-6 cruiser for fishing. I'm going to use it for striper fishing primarily. Tie down a cooler/seat, milk crate in the rear same as this. If I was going to add an electric motor I'd have it mounted off the milk crate not out front. Just the fish finder out front. The 12-6 I'm going to use is an old tuffskin...no worries in creeks and shallows. And it's a great board to paddle and I've surfed a lot on the wood one I have.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

surfseeker

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2019, 09:53:26 AM »
I took a Kaholo that I built and attempted a conversion to a SUPyak.  It had a backband with bottom for seat and kayak foot pegs.  It was ergonomically very uncomfortable to paddle and I've since dismantled it.

surfseeker

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2019, 09:55:41 AM »
Here's a better photo.

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2019, 12:38:27 PM »
Low seats are pretty bad. So are frameless strap seats. The stock seat on mine is still pretty low, so I built a spacer that will bring it up 6" and has a big tackle drawer. Might kneel behind it to go through breakers. That means I would have to climb over and move a crate or whatever to back behind the seat out in the swells.
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

RideTheGlide

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2019, 04:49:42 AM »
First time out. Very stable though a bit sluggish as a SUP. Reasonably good performance for a fishing yak when seated.

https://youtu.be/OTWGVyieCSY
2017 GoPlus 9'9"
2019 BKC 12'

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal