Author Topic: Wing surfing in the cold  (Read 8640 times)

GL

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Wing surfing in the cold
« on: November 04, 2019, 08:54:24 AM »
I had an interesting session yesterday. It was 41F or 5C and marginal to start with for my setup. I would not kite or windsurf in that temperature as my hands would get cold quickly windfoiling and I spend to much time in the water kiting foiling. I spent almost no time in the water and my hands did not get cold for about an hour (wearing gloves). I suspect I could have gone longer but a squall blew in and and with it snow and high winds. Windfoiling in the squall would have been difficult and kite foiling I would have had to drop the kite to safety. With the wing I just sheeted out and pointed just off the wind a bit and continued to foil in complete control. Had a really fun session in what should have been awful conditions. I would not want to go out in any colder, not because I could not but rather it is not much fun colder than that. The wing has allowed me numerous sessions that I would have not enjoyed with other equipment.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Re: Wing surfing in the cold
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2019, 09:16:02 AM »
I am with you GL.  This is a lot of fun in colder weather.  Mellow wind is really nice because it doesn't have quite as much bite.  Air temps near 40 and strong wind are still really fun but those have been shorter sessions for me.  What suit and gloves do you have?

GL

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2019, 04:26:05 PM »
I have a Neil Pryde older semi dry 5/4 that I use when it is cold. I wear a Jet Pilot impact vest over that that really keeps my core warm. For gloves I just use a pair of loose neoprene gloves. That is the one area I could do better but have not yet found anything I like better. I believe they were sold as fishing gloves for cold weather. My fingers do not get cold until I have to grip with more force like when the squall blew through. I also wear a hood with long neck with fleece lining and wind proof outer. For downwind paddling I am good down to the mid 30's as I do not have to grip the paddle very tightly. Water is in the high 40's right now.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2019, 12:09:31 AM »
Yes!  Hands are the hard part.  I picked up a pair of these O'neill Psycho goves https://us.oneill.com/collections/mens-boots-hoods-gloves/products/psycho-tech-dl-1-5mm-glove and they are pretty good.  They are really comfortable and I don't mind wearing them but like you said, after gripping hard for a while with wet hands, I get sent in.  I only have the 1.5 mm version.  The thicker ones were not for me.  Those were too small in XL and I couldn't close my hand without the glove wanting to spring it back open.  We are at 52 degree water still so that is not bad at all.  Basically, the same as our normal ocean temps.  The hands are a bit of a bummer because outside of that I am toasty and could stay out much longer. 

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2019, 02:30:59 AM »
You want precurved fingers. A few brands have them now, but a long time ago, Glacier Glove was the windsurfer standard, because they were the first to have precurved fingers, that we were aware off.

https://glacierglove.com/

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2019, 05:29:54 AM »
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2019, 05:59:03 AM »
Not to HiJack this thread but the best Gloves I've found Are Hyperflex 3mm curved great grip,warm and $16.00

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2019, 01:52:50 AM »
This wing thing has remotivated me back into some limited mid Atlantic wintertime sessions. Ocean Rodeo Heat on order along with some O’Neill Physco 3mm gloves and 6mm booties. Still don’t think I’d do anything below 45 deg water and 50ish sunny air temp. Maybe wishful thinking :o

Actually made 3 of my first 6 toeside to heel side upwind tack attempts, though all of them finished off the foil as you might expect, and I had to pump back up going the other way. Still, it was a cool feeling. Determined to get this move mastered before next spring, cold hands be damned!

Not to HiJack this thread but the best Gloves I've found Are Hyperflex 3mm curved great grip,warm and $16.00

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

(Hey Jimk! I bought my first 4 line kiteboard kites from Extreme windsurfing in 2001. Many long sessions at Lakes Bay in the early days. Small world......)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 02:00:39 AM by obxDave »

river

• Peahi Status
  • @danyak101
    • View Profile
    • Wing Foil and SUP Instruction
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2019, 12:35:32 PM »
I have many many hardcore class 5 PNW Kayaker friends that swear these Kokatat Mittens
are the warmest option for wintertime watersports. 

www.outdoorplay.com/Kokatat-Inferno-Mitt-Kayak-Gloves?custcol_size=3&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIz9Sk36-u5gIVBRitBh3C5AC3EAQYASABEgLizfD_BwE
Wing, Foil & SUP Instruction,Aerial Cinema.
#dreamitsupit rider looking for the magic carpet feeling...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal