Author Topic: Wing Travel  (Read 1936 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Wing Travel
« on: November 21, 2019, 03:38:23 AM »
Down here in Caribbean Mexico for some pagan wing vacationing all inclusive style.  Pretty  nice how portable this gear is in comparison to windsurf travel.  We brought 3 boards, all the wings and all the foils.  Guitar always comes and is guaranteed carry on space (thanks Barack) but everything else was just padding and went in with the gear.  Not bad. 

We had never been to one of these all inclusive things before but it is hysterical.  Kind of like what I imagine a cruise to be like (we have never cruised) but on land.  Basically 9 restaurants and all day food with a little mulling around.  We have been on the Black Sheep program because we showed up to 4.2/3.5 wind and we have been exhausting ourselves with that.  This is a paradise for flat water foiling.  Trunks, steady wind, lots of friendly drunk people encouraging us (we think) in a bunch of languages. 

Note to self:  Bring all foiling hardware next time.  Turns out that you can't foil if you can't connect your fuselages to the masts.  It is difícil pero no imposible to track down M8 x 70 hardware on the road.  4 stops with Juan the singing cabbie and we (he) found them. 

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Re: Wing Travel
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2019, 05:46:45 AM »
Cool, Boss...  Talum's 'Foil Ambassador'.  The same thing happened with kites in the early '2000s - they were sure a conversation starter.   And, like you found out; "Bring a kite or foil store's inventory with you to virgin territories."  Have fun for all of us.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2019, 12:42:42 AM »
Hi Wet,

We are in Playa Del Carmen.  We have been really lucky with the wind.  I actually think it is hard not to get lucky with these wings.  Almost anything works.  I have been on the 4.2 every day but yesterday which was 5.0. The wind is mostly onshore with just enough side to get out.  Then you can cruise parallel to shore for as long as you want.  Parallel to shore is actually slightly upwind on one tack and downwind on the other so we can do little downwinders coming home.  That is great fun.  It is also  new to us how the foils react to both the incoming swell and the backwash.  The foils are definitely leaping around a lot on unseen water action which keeps it lively.  That may also have something to do with the bolt heads and washers that are sticking out of our fuselages due to my packing blunder.  Countersunk hardware was not going to happen :)

We also have monkeys, a lemur and these cool little guys called agouti (one of whom likes to nap in the shade of my board bag).  He is a little shy but we have become pretty good friends. 

« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 12:44:54 AM by Admin »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2019, 06:23:09 AM »
Love that place. We stayed right across the water from you Admin, on the windward side of Cozumel, in a hotel off the grid, no internet. Solar panels provide limited power and a generator powers the kitchen. It’s the only hotel on the windward side. Remote vacation paradise. We kited there. Tons of remote beaches for winging. Sick place. All the tourists are on the cruise ship side of Cozumel.

Just looked it up. Not as off the grid as when we stayed there.
https://ventanasalmarcozumel.com/
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 06:27:39 AM by Dwight (DW) »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal