Author Topic: Medium to Higher End Inflatable Performance on Flatwater  (Read 9204 times)

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Medium to Higher End Inflatable Performance on Flatwater
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2019, 11:35:31 AM »
I agree about a hardboard performing much better, and if this is an option, then go for it. However, there has been a marked improvement in inflatables over the last few years. I have the Hala Hoss carbon 11 X 34, and it is definitely stiffer than your standard 11 foot inflatable, but the Red offerings in 12'6" and 13'2, definitely glide better than my 11 footer, and are stiffer than most brands on the market. The newer starboards in the deluxe construction with the additional air chamber have improved stiffness overall on the water.

I have not had the chance to paddle the newest offerings from Naish, Hala, Starboard, so can't comment on stiffness for the Airline, Maliko, etc, but a 140 pound female is going to notice much less flex than a 200 or even a 170 pound individual.

I believe the Maliko scored the highest grade for stiffness out of any inflatable supboarder has ever tested, so that would interesting to try in the wider version.

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
  • https://greenwatersports.com
    • View Profile
    • Green Water Sports - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2019, 01:51:21 PM »
Inflatables may not suit everybody, but are suitable more often than not. 140# and 5'7" won't stress premium inflatable SUPs. I'm 195# and 6' and find my 14' All Star Airline and 10'6" Ride to be great boards for their designed purpose. Much the same way I enjoy my 8' carbon surf SUP in the waves.
Julian
https://greenwatersports.com
Green Water Sports LLC - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more. Call us on 1-888-252-4983
Red Paddle Co, Starboard, SIC Maui, Tahe, Naish, Fanatic, Accent Paddles, Onyx, FCS, Vamo

MLB

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2020, 11:38:32 PM »
I think you’ve had some good advice here. It is particularly important to match the dimensions of the board to the dimensions of the paddler. Short narrow lightweight people need short narrow lightweight boards.

But I’ll add to this discussion by being brutally frank: all inflatables are pretty horrible to paddle compared with nearly all hard boards. So if you sister is hoping to replicate the feeling she had paddling your hardboards then that is just not realistic, unfortunately.

It is also true, as above, that longer doesn’t always mean faster with inflatables, because they tend to flex more as they get longer. In fact, I’ve been amazed at how close in speed it is to paddle my Red Paddle Compact 9-6 board compared with my 16ft Starboard Tandem inflatable (or indeed, my 10ft or 11-2 inflatables). With even the best iSUPs, once you really start putting the power down, most of the extra effort is just lost in bounce and flex.  Indeed, in many ways, actually, the 9-6 Compacts are nicest of all to paddle, since they don’t get blown around as much as the longer boards and are incredibly light to carry, and you notice that light weight when paddling too.

So, if I were you, I might get her something Like a Starboard All Star inflatable 12-6x28. Or even perhaps a super light smaller all-round board that matches her dimensions better than the barge she currently has. But I’d make sure that she realises that the improvement won’t be very substantial: if you want a board that paddles like a hard board then you have to buy a hard board. I’m sure she’d love a 2020 SIC RS 12-6 hard board :) There are sales on the 2019 models in many countries now, as well... The 2020 RS boards are made in the Kinetic factory in Vietnam (where Jimmy Lewis boards are made) and are full PVC sandwich, so will be better made IMO than the previous Cobra-made (Thailand) boards: much more durable.

I'm really interested in their new Marlin foil/sup board but i can't find any information on their 2020 line other than a catalog with many tempting boards but no release date on ordering or any info really.  I really like my 13'2" redpaddleco board. The battens stiffen it noticeably compared to the our Costco cheapies (Bodyglove Performers, just sold), and with an actual straight fin you can paddle on one side more than 4 times.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 11:40:37 PM by MLB »

supnorte

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • SUP Norte
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2020, 08:13:01 AM »

I'm really interested in their new Marlin foil/sup board but i can't find any information on their 2020 line other than a catalog with many tempting boards but no release date on ordering or any info really.  I really like my 13'2" redpaddleco board. The battens stiffen it noticeably compared to the our Costco cheapies (Bodyglove Performers, just sold), and with an actual straight fin you can paddle on one side more than 4 times.  ;)

You can fin more info about the Marlin on this link with several photos of the board. I already have one in stock, but full foil range should be available in February: https://supnorte.com/produto/sic-maui-marlin-foil-convertable-78/

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal