Author Topic: MY BILLION$$ STARBOARD IS A POS  (Read 14961 times)

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: MY BILLION$$ STARBOARD IS A POS
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2019, 12:44:32 PM »
worked yesterday to remove the entire pad section from the front underfoot area

per TD, i pooled googone on the remaining pad and adhesive, covered with saran wrap, returned 5 hours later for the nasty process of scraping adhesive/pad goopy googone toxic mess---done

i plan to cut out the add'l cracks ive found, let the board dry a week or two, applying heat occasionally via a lamp (thk you creek), and see where the weight ends up---hope it loses all or most of the water weight

then i will repair the cutout cracks individually

then i plan to cover the whole area with sheets of glass

i have plenty of 4oz and 6oz glass--ive only used bits and pieces for repairs--any advice on laying down layers to reinforce would be welcomed--i dont plan to make it too perfect, given i am lazy and pissed to be doing this at all, some 2400$ later!!  but nbd because the laydown will be covered by pad

no choice---the board occupies an important spot in my quiver--when it's choppy/sloppy, it is my most floaty paddleable board--loved my 8'7" creek on the wave yesterday but ran outta gas early with the tippiness in the slopchop---so i am stuck slaving to repair straboard's folly........

and, much as id like to start fresh with a new board for this spot in my quiver, im deep $$ into this one--and i wouldnt feel good selling it without disclaimer that would render it pretty valueless

so ima try to fix it and ride it----grrrrr

also---shoutout to sunova that they ship with pad scraps used as add'l packingcushion--that's where the gray pad comes from---and ive plenty left to pad over the repaired underfoot area
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 12:55:10 PM by eastbound »
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

northshore_slider

• Malibu Status
  • north shore mass
    • View Profile
    • instagram
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2019, 02:06:20 PM »
I would absolutely reach out to Starboard and document as much as you can. I would also inform them that you're active on a SUP forum and if they don't make it right it would have an impact on sales. Since you bought it new this year I would hope they'd make it right. If you bought it at a shop I'd bring it to them (a) so they're aware and (b) maybe they'd rethink selling Starboards if the customer service from Starby is not good. Sorry for your troubles man. That's awful and I'd be beyond ripped to spend that much for a sponge.
Jimmy Lewis Worldwide 8'1 x 29 - 110L
Jimmy Lewis Destroyer 8'5 x 30 - 130L
Kalama E3 9'2 x 30 - 126L

previous:
Jimmy Lewis Super Frank 8'6 x 32 - 141L
Infinity RNB 8'8 x 32 - 142L
Hobie RAW 9'4 x 32 - 146L
Starboard Element 9'8 x 30 - 153L

me: 5'11, 185lbs, 42yrs old
@surfing_byrneski

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2019, 02:08:18 PM »
In my experience, Starboard presents the worst ratio of price to construction of all the main brands. My Starboard Ace Carbon was mostly held together by paint and filler. It would fall apart just sitting on the rack.

I’m glad to hear that SIC RS boards are being made in the Kinetic factory with Jimmy Lewis and Infinity etc now. JL construction is great.

The Hypr Hawaii boards are also absolutely rock solid and cost less than Starboards. They use a thick wooden stringer reinforced by a special kind of S glass I beam type arrangement, which makes both the deck and bottom super resistant to compression loads.

Put simply, you have every right to expect better. I’ll never buy another Starboard. My friend bought an All Star and within 12 weeks of normal use it leaked around the drain holes and took on 3kgs of water! It was basically a write-off. The retailer told him that he shouldn’t have raced the board and washed his hands of it. It’s a RACE BOARD!!. It wasn’t dinged, it was a leak where the cheap plastic drain pipe met the fibreglass.

SouthCounty

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2019, 03:56:40 PM »
I defiently would get hold of the the manufacture and raise some stink, totally unacceptable. We pay good money for these hi tech boards and should not have to deal with sloppy craftsmanship like what you are experiencing. Hopefully they make it right, keep us posted.
14' x 27" Infinity blackfish
10'4 Infinity wide aquatic
14 x 24.5 Infinity blackfish dugout

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2019, 04:41:53 PM »
worked yesterday to remove the entire pad section from the front underfoot area

per TD, i pooled googone on the remaining pad and adhesive, covered with saran wrap, returned 5 hours later for the nasty process of scraping adhesive/pad goopy googone toxic mess---done

i plan to cut out the add'l cracks ive found, let the board dry a week or two, applying heat occasionally via a lamp (thk you creek), and see where the weight ends up---hope it loses all or most of the water weight

then i will repair the cutout cracks individually

then i plan to cover the whole area with sheets of glass

i have plenty of 4oz and 6oz glass--ive only used bits and pieces for repairs--any advice on laying down layers to reinforce would be welcomed--i dont plan to make it too perfect, given i am lazy and pissed to be doing this at all, some 2400$ later!!  but nbd because the laydown will be covered by pad

no choice---the board occupies an important spot in my quiver--when it's choppy/sloppy, it is my most floaty paddleable board--loved my 8'7" creek on the wave yesterday but ran outta gas early with the tippiness in the slopchop---so i am stuck slaving to repair straboard's folly........

and, much as id like to start fresh with a new board for this spot in my quiver, im deep $$ into this one--and i wouldnt feel good selling it without disclaimer that would render it pretty valueless

so ima try to fix it and ride it----grrrrr

also---shoutout to sunova that they ship with pad scraps used as add'l packingcushion--that's where the gray pad comes from---and ive plenty left to pad over the repaired underfoot area

Eastie-  I'd spend a tad more and get a yard of Volan Vectornet to do the standing area.  I used it on a standing area reinforcement on and old Riviera and it really made a difference. vs regular 4x4 or 6.  Wont add anymore (noticable) weight than the water !

BrownSugah

• Malibu Status
  • Like Pahhtay wit me ?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2019, 06:24:10 PM »
ive had the same experience with starboard since 2012 .....there is always going to be someone who says "you pay for what you get" but ive had multiple starboards break and for the most part they were easily replaced after talking to a rep or shop. At one point i had what sounds like what you are dealing with happen 2 times in a row and they replaced so I would give it a shot.

def will never pay for a starboard full price upfront.
ALOHA

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2019, 11:28:16 AM »
full disclosure:

star-board spontaneously reached out to me to try to remedy my situation---seems reasonable--might be my assessment of the situation was unfair and wrong--i will post updates

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2019, 08:10:32 PM »
full disclosure:

star-board spontaneously reached out to me to try to remedy my situation---seems reasonable--might be my assessment of the situation was unfair and wrong--i will post updates

Good to know. Last I heard they asked to cut the board in two and show them proof and they would send a replacement. I guess in your case you board was already in such a bad shape they might even skip that ;D
in progress...

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2019, 07:07:32 AM »
Good to know. Last I heard they asked to cut the board in two and show them proof and they would send a replacement. I guess in your case you board was already in such a bad shape they might even skip that

GOING THROUGH A DEALER SHOULD NEGATE THIS. They will accept cutting after you receive replacement.
Trident are good people!

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2019, 12:23:23 PM »
hope you get a new board out of it?!

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2019, 04:08:55 PM »
most importantly EB- did you score today? LB looked great on the cams!

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2019, 05:59:12 AM »
cams at LB and Rock looked great--

scored huge at a rocky NE right point yesterday--enchanting

paddled out around 1030--it was snowing hard for the first hour, but nice glassy chest high sets--then the sun started to burn through, snow still sparkling---last hour was full sun--fun

4 or 5 surfers in at first---once the sun hit maybe 10 or 15 were spread around--no sups other than me--embarrassment of riches---trying to attach before and after paddleout pics

« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 06:02:16 AM by eastbound »
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2019, 10:58:32 AM »
funny:  my friend is visiting nor cal, surfing today---so i checked the pleasure point cam--all foggy, it looks similar to yesterday in RI!
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2019, 12:04:13 PM »
that looks cold eastbound  :o

justsomeguy

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2019, 07:13:35 PM »
Whoa !! … that's some serious hard-core s@#t there eastbound, brrrr !
Fanatic Allwave LTD 9'4"x33"x173L
NSP Carolina 14'x25.75"x299L
+ a few prone surfboards nobody here cares about :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal