Author Topic: Is anyone carrying their surf sup to the beach on their bike?  (Read 4577 times)

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Is anyone carrying their surf sup to the beach on their bike?
« on: November 12, 2019, 06:49:19 PM »
Is anyone carrying their surf sup to the beach on their bike? If so, are you using racks mounted on the side of the bike (like people do with regular surfboards) or a trailer?
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Is anyone carrying their surf sup to the beach on their bike?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 08:03:13 PM »
I made a little trailer out of a kayak wheel set and towed it behind my bike for several years in Newport.  It was great because parking a car is such a problem there, but there is always a spot on the bike racks.  I bought one of these below on ebay and then modified it into a great SUP trailer.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kayak-Canoe-Jon-Boat-Carrier-Transport-Trailer-Tote-Trolley-Dolly-Cart-Wheel/312842444523?hash=item48d6dcdeeb:g:F0UAAOSwqwRdyord
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 08:07:34 PM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2019, 11:18:47 AM »
I made a little trailer out of a kayak wheel set and towed it behind my bike for several years in Newport.  It was great because parking a car is such a problem there, but there is always a spot on the bike racks.  I bought one of these below on ebay and then modified it into a great SUP trailer.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kayak-Canoe-Jon-Boat-Carrier-Transport-Trailer-Tote-Trolley-Dolly-Cart-Wheel/312842444523?hash=item48d6dcdeeb:g:F0UAAOSwqwRdyord

That's a great idea. Thanks. Did you make a long tongue that connected the carrier to your bike? What was the tongue made out of and how did you connect it to your bike?

digger71

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2019, 01:33:19 PM »
I do the side of the bike thing with these

https://www.amazon.com/Moved-Bikes-MBB-Longboard-Rack/dp/B00AA87DO8/ref=pd_bxgy_201_img_3/135-8468006-5148158

Did a bit of bending and minor tweaking but they work fine.  Helps if your handlebars rise up a bit, cruiser style, for clearance but I even made it work on a mountain bike.

And I probably should mention I've only done this with somewhat small boards.   9' x 28" 112 liter longboard shape and 7'4" x 30" Hypernut
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 01:35:40 PM by digger71 »

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2019, 02:11:26 PM »
I do the side of the bike thing with these

https://www.amazon.com/Moved-Bikes-MBB-Longboard-Rack/dp/B00AA87DO8/ref=pd_bxgy_201_img_3/135-8468006-5148158

Did a bit of bending and minor tweaking but they work fine.  Helps if your handlebars rise up a bit, cruiser style, for clearance but I even made it work on a mountain bike.

And I probably should mention I've only done this with somewhat small boards.   9' x 28" 112 liter longboard shape and 7'4" x 30" Hypernut

I will be taking this with me on a cruising sailboat so I'd rather do side racks than deal with taking a trailer to shore in a dinghy and then storing it on the boat later.

Two questions...

1) What do you think about using side racks like that on a folding electric bike like this? http://tinyurl.com/twn9vbf

2) What happens if you need to put your foot down to prevent yourself from falling over on the side the rack and board is on? Do you just fall over and thrash your sup?

digger71

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2019, 02:55:14 PM »
Very nice!  That little e-bike should be perfect.  The two vertical posts are really what you are looking for.  As long as the handlebar post is sturdy enough it should be no problem.

The board is actually held a decent distance from the side of the bike so you can pedal and put your foot down on the board-side without any issue. 

Rack is cheaper on amazon but the company website has a lot more pics and video https://movedbybikes.com/pages/mbb-surfboard-racks

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2019, 06:43:01 PM »
I use a trailer behind my bike. Made it out of pvc pipe, plywood, carbon axel, and balloon tires. Works well on sand.

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2019, 06:55:12 PM »

That's a great idea. Thanks. Did you make a long tongue that connected the carrier to your bike? What was the tongue made out of and how did you connect it to your bike?

Didn't need to.  I bungeed the nose of my boards to the wheels and attached the tail of the board using an extra string in my leash plug. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2019, 09:09:23 PM »
I've been going over these goofy bikes at Amazon and deciding between a $600 folding aluminum bike with 16" wheels and skinny 2" tires with a 350 watt motor, or an $800 folding aluminum bike with 20" x 4" FAT tires and a 500 watt motor. Both types I'm looking at have lots of 4 and 5 star reviews but it might be worth it to cough up the extra $200 and get one with the bigger 20" wheels and fat tires for rough terrain and beaches. The prices for these folding electric bikes are crazy (some are $3000!!) so I'm wondering if higher prices translates into better components like it does with good quality name brand mountain bikes, or is it just because merchants are able to get whatever they can because these are the hot new thing??

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal