Author Topic: for all you thinking about a super short board....  (Read 8094 times)

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
for all you thinking about a super short board....
« on: November 12, 2019, 07:12:09 AM »
Just saw this on Seabreeze.com.au.

12' search and he throws it around...

https://player.vimeo.com/video/372545510?title=0&byline=0&portrait=0
Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

BrownSugah

• Malibu Status
  • Like Pahhtay wit me ?
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: for all you thinking about a super short board....
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2019, 06:33:21 PM »
Sup surfing has lost its way ...anything under 8 feet just isnt good for the sport...it looks so sloppy ..dont get me wrong some guys can shred but if the boards stay small they will always be compared to the wsl shortboarders and thats not a good match up
ALOHA

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2019, 08:08:27 PM »
I've said it once and I'll say it again. I'm a closet longboarder.

I own three sup boards. But my favorite boards amongst the three boards is a toss up between my One World 11'1" and my Duke 10'5".
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

supthecreek

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2019, 06:29:52 AM »
There is a wonderful beauty to a 12' board.... and Casso certainly is a classy example of just how much fun they can be!

I like all size boards, and find a freshness in changing sizes and styles all the time.

But.... I do agree that many do not benefit from going too small.
I know I don't.

I watch people drop from size to size, and yet, I don't see their surfing improve at all.... just more struggling.

Now I keep my boards in the "comfortable" range and gain performance by having different shapes for different conditions.
My 12' Point Break is a board I can always count on to have a great session..... super comfortable and surfs everything well.

But, I am super stoked to get delivery on my winter quiver additions!

3 GenRations, from 8'11 to 9'6
2 Sunova's at 9'0 and 9'1
I may have to go south to surf the smaller ones  ;D ;D

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2019, 08:13:02 AM »
Sup surfing has lost its way ...anything under 8 feet just isnt good for the sport...it looks so sloppy ..dont get me wrong some guys can shred but if the boards stay small they will always be compared to the wsl shortboarders and thats not a good match up
I agree. We need to develop our own style and moves that are based on riding boards that many people could actually ride. SUP competitive surfing is just a very poor copy of surf shortboarding at the moment, and hardly anyone can even stand on the boards that the top riders are on. SUP longboarding just looks better to watch too, IMO. So leave the kids’ boards to the kids, and come join the adults who know how to maximise fun, not frustration :)

https://youtu.be/UDu5WuBSTlE

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2019, 09:14:07 AM »
AREA 10

I COULD NOT AGREE MORE!!!

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2019, 02:01:34 PM »
creek

which of the genration's and sunovas's will you have? and when?
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

supthecreek

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2019, 03:20:51 PM »
creek

which of the genration's and sunovas's will you have? and when?

GenRations in XXX construction:
8'11 x 32 SP 25 at 150 L
9'5 x 33 Wedge at 180 L
9'6 x 33.5 Kanga at 167 L
before Christmas

Sunovas in TR3 construction:
9'1 x 33 Placid at  146 L
9'0 x 31 Flash at 136 L
Mid winter container

I chose a full range of boards for a 71 yr old at 235 lbs
Some at warm water size
Most at Cold weather size... for NE winters.

The Wedge, Kanga and Placid, I ordered in bigger sizes, because I think these boards will suit a LOT of SUPsters and I want to test them at "Plus Sizes"
That will cover Big Boys or Newbies.

Considering that these are the exact same shapes that the Pros are winning on, since they ride stock boards, not customs painted to look stock.
it's super cool that they size up so well for me and others.
They should be super stable and full on rip.

They were designed with high volume, so the Pros could be at ankle deep, while their competition is at their waist.
Anyone who watched the APP Pro in Barbados last week, saw Sean Poynter take SUP surfing to a new level on his SP 25.... and win going away!

I like being comfortable on my boards.... but I don't want to surf longboard style anymore, I wanna push as hard as I can before I get old  ;D ;D ;D

Hail SUPn

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2019, 05:09:14 PM »
I’m fairly new to SUP but I feel like trying to pigeonhole everyone to longboard style only isn’t good for the sport either. Don’t you think the people that compare short board SUPs to WSL are just going to compare longboard SUPS with the WSL longboard division?

Ride what you want to ride.

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2019, 05:32:14 PM »
I agree with the newby and Creek!
Ride what you like, when you like and how you like.
I love my little short board sup and I also have fun on my bigger short board. 
And on those days when its not big, I have fun on whatever 10'+ log I can jump on.
I don't really care if its a real wave at the coast or I am surfing my new custom Varial wakesurfer behind the boat.
Every board I have surfs different.  So just jump on a board and surf whatever style the board wills you.
And like Creek said, I love snapping that shortboard around on a steep wave while I still can.
8'5" Starboard Pocket Rocket, 8'0" Kazuma Fugu custom,  8'10" Kings Sidewinder, 10' Starboard Noserider, 14' BARK Carbon Dominator, SIC F16 V3, KeNalu and Quickblade paddles, 19' Eaton Prone, 67" Goode 9700

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2019, 07:01:08 PM »
I’m fairly new to SUP but I feel like trying to pigeonhole everyone to longboard style only isn’t good for the sport either. Don’t you think the people that compare short board SUPs to WSL are just going to compare longboard SUPS with the WSL longboard division?

Very valid point but I think the issue people have with the shorter is better direction is it excludes about 99.9 percent of the SUP community.  About the only riders who use them are the pros.  But yes I agree that ultimately it is up to the individual user what he/she likes and type of riding.  The Vaz brothers, Daniel Hughes, Sean Poynter etc all do some amazing things, but somehow I equate shortboard SUP surfing to "progressive" longboarding. 
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 07:15:15 PM by surf4food »

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2019, 07:14:10 PM »
In this early 00's interview of Rick Thomas you'll see a guy SUP surfing on a 12 foot Munoz Superglide which was not intended to be a SUP board.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nMpSumOO4k
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 07:16:15 PM by surf4food »

Hail SUPn

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2019, 10:10:32 PM »

Very valid point but I think the issue people have with the shorter is better direction is it excludes about 99.9 percent of the SUP community.  About the only riders who use them are the pros.

But that’s why they are Pros. I would say about 99.9 percent of people are excluded from most sports at a pro level. How many people can dunk a 10ft basketball goal while a 7ft center is standing in the lane? How many people can drive a Indy car 200+ through a street course? How many people can read a defense, make adjustments or audible, get the play off on time, and still make a throw to a covered receiver? But I can still enjoy a game of horse, throwing the football around, and driving 200+ through the streets lol

I’m always open to new and old board ideas, styles, and just different ways of trying to surf. I would really like to see a bonzer style sup one day.

OkiWild

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2019, 12:42:14 AM »
And then there's this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx3NB_VxId0

Some of the best days I've had were surfing a 12'6" race board.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal