Author Topic: Retractable skeg  (Read 8609 times)

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Retractable skeg
« on: October 31, 2019, 01:27:43 AM »
Building a 14 ft sup at the moment. Been thinking about putting one of these in as a fwd fin like on the Infinity blackfish. It's plastic so could easily cut it down. It's 14 inches long.
 Has anyone paddle a sup with a fwd fin. Do they work.
 With this system you could drop it down when you need it,choppy,side wind and put it away in calm conditions or down winding. I doesn't look to heavy.
https://www.tuilik.com/product/kajak-sport-retractable-skeg-system-pro/

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Retractable skeg
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2019, 08:11:33 AM »
It's too big. All you need up front is a little fin, and often you won't need that. It needs to be in exactly the right place though. If you have any nose rocker make sure it's behind that, having the fin come in and out of the water while you're steering in chop is a great way to get tossed off the board. I found my Blackfish was a little faster with a very small, very thin ventral fin, but the compromised control wasn't worth the speed difference. The only place I found a ventral fin to be really worthwhile is going upwind, and even then, small is good. I made mine out of aluminum and they were only about three inches long and an inch high.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal