Author Topic: I should never look at Facebook on Veterans Day  (Read 6886 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
I should never look at Facebook on Veterans Day
« on: November 11, 2019, 07:21:14 PM »
I should never look at Facebook on Veterans day. A whole bunch of people who never served telling veterans that they should be proud as if we all joined up for the reasons they say we did.  If people want to express some kind of bullshit patriotism that they didn't have when it was their turn to step up, well I guess they can go right ahead, because they sure do. But why would they think any veteran gives a fuck what they say about it?
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: I should never look at Facebook on Veterans Day
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 08:07:20 PM »
Pono,
Since I don't Facebook, I'll take this opportunity to thank all the Veterans that served our country. You Bill, are forever exempt from this thank you and any future thank you's that might appear to include you, but they don't. Aside from wasting your time on Facebook, I hope you recovered and had a great day.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 05:43:52 AM »
Yeah, I have to stay away from Facebook entirely. It just sparks extreme grumpiness and a desire to join some other species. It isn't being thanked for my service, though that continues to be weird. I served when anyone in the military was despised by some and ignored by most. It's using the opportunity to display a mindless level of patriotism and hanging that on veterans who joined up for as many reasons as there were people.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 06:19:12 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 06:34:45 AM »
Right on...  "I should never look at Facebook on Veterans day. A whole bunch of people who never served telling veterans that they should be proud as if we all joined up for the reasons they say we did.  If people want to express some kind of bullshit patriotism that they didn't have when it was their turn to step up, well I guess they can go right ahead, because they sure do. But why would they think any veteran gives a fuck what they say about it?"  ...all but the FB part, that's a shallow pool I do not enter.

And cut the bullshit; "Thank you for your service."*  When I enlisted, it was a decent option to loading boxcars with 12x12 boxes of floor tiles with other alkies and misfits. Not dissimilarly, not so long ago guys were baited with a sign-up bonus that got them their first car - maybe one in 10,000 even mouths being 'after Bin Ladin'.

The Army didn't mean much to me, a the time.  That is 'till assholes like Dick Cheney and scores of other posers sent more young men (not their kids) off to die for some faked "yellowcake" alarm and other excuses to boost MIL spending.  With almost no exceptions, the yahoos on radio and TV all had excuses why they 'could not serve'.  I am not famous or run the government, but I am quite proud that I am -certified- not to be one of those assholes. (I can can be one on my own.)

Jim

*it's a quick; 'You're dismissed.'  Take a minute to ask them how it was.
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2019, 09:32:42 AM »
I hear ya Bill, and as a retired fireman, I feel the same way when I see the TV commercials in CA thanking all the firefighters after wildfires eat up a thousands of acres, destroy hundreds of homes, and inevitably take several citizens' lives every year.

Most of us FFs in CA don't (or didn't) volunteer to do what we do (or did), and it's not like they don't compensate us nicely for it (even in retirement - there, I said it)...and maybe it's just me, but I get more of a feeling of guilt when we're not able to save someone's life or property, and don't feel we/I deserve "thanks" just because the "protected" the neighbor's house from going up in flames or getting him out in time.

When I see those commercials showing all of the burned out housing tracks "foundations that we saved", and then having someone thank us for that, just makes me cringe. It's not a feeling of pride that I get when seeing that, but rather that of sorrow for those folks who have to see the burned out remains of what were once their homes, memories, and dreams...and then have to hear a voiceover of someone "thanking the firefighters"...thanks for doing what exactly...our jobs?  :-[ :(

Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2019, 11:35:56 AM »
Yeah, I have to stay away from Facebook entirely. It just sparks extreme grumpiness and a desire to join some other species.
I noticed, but not that there is anything wrong with that.  ;)
It takes a quiver to do that.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2019, 03:15:54 PM »
No need to get your panties twisted bro. I posted something because i'm thankful to those that have served...pretty simple.....not all deserve it but hard to separate the wheat from the chafe. Very few people were enlisting when my time came...tail end of the Vietnam war. I also had an older brother telling me it was the worst fucking decision he ever made and how much he hated it. I had considered following him into the navy prior to that..... ;)
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2019, 07:14:47 AM »
hate social networking--no FB, no linkedin, none of it

so many aholes pose with military and first-responders---esp pres bone-spurs---has to be tiresome for those, or family of those, who took risk or were killed or damaged in war

gold-star families

and, yeah, relatively speaking, on the subject of war and protecting our country, and taking personal risks to do so?? im an ahole

but i do have deep respect for our military--like this guy (how can anyone do other than respect a guy like this?):

https://news.yahoo.com/for-bill-taylor-first-impeachment-witness-everythings-easy-after-vietnam-100020997.html

now, wettie, you come from a very different background than taylor--and you did serve--id be curious to hear your response to a guy like taylor---in many ways he was silver-spoon fed, compared to grunts etc--but he wallowed in the mud with the grunts and did his damnedest to protect them and us.........

actually, wettie, lest i get you wrong, and you can be cryptic, the military provided you a track out of a tough life---prolly not a walk in the park, but it got you out of the warehouse

my business partner's son (second generation asian immigrant, moneyed, ivy-league mat'l, prog demo) is trying to go to west point----------deep respect for this kid

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2019, 06:40:18 PM »
Hmm interesting.  I've gotten the thank you(s) and I always post Happy Veterans day tagging all my friends who are fellow vets.  I've never come across anyone  who's never served telling me I should be proud. In fact on a couple cases quite the opposite but just sort of take in with a grain of salt. 

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2019, 10:23:21 AM »
I can follow PBill’s logic. There is nothing wrong with all of this fake thanking, but it is annoying. We thank everyone for their service, but some guys don’t really need much thanking. My cousin Rob went into the Navy and got out after 4 years with a drug habit. He learned how to dab paint on pipe lagging. He never saw any action but was able to meet interesting prostitutes throughout the Pacific (I guess that is some action). My cousin Rob LOVES to be thanked for his service.  He responds to every Facebook message with things like “it was my honor.” Not surprising he got on lifetime disability (back) at the ripe age of 28 for an injury sustained while delivering pizzas!

All of that stuff is properly labeled virtue signaling. It has something to do with endorphins and narcissism. “Look at me, I took 5 seconds to publicly thank veterans, fire fighters, police , etc on my social media, just so you know I’m pure.” I agree that folks who put themselves at risk for the greater good deserve our praise and thanks, but I’m not sure the value of it on social media. I have massive respect for these folks and will gladly show it when possible, in person or donation.

I also agree with SanoSS. Thanking folks for doing their paid job is weird to me. I understand people take these jobs to service the greater good, but they get paid for the risk. I have seen Facebook posts thanking Linemen for their service, because of storms etc. The whole thing needs a reset. If you are going to thank someone for a paid job thank Child Protective Service workers (they have some of the most traumatic work for very low pay), thank volunteer youth coaches and mentors, thank drug and alcohol counselors, thank adoptive families. These jobs are criminally underpaid and have a very direct impact not only on those who they serve but who do them.

I have a friend who loves this virtue signalling stuff, every week she buys a message t-shirt and post a picture with the message. Now, by and large there is no harm in it, but I know she does not live up to the messages she posts. How could she? Social media is blatantly hypocritical and false. The good old days where forums like this one were the main social media format were much better. Likely because the folks in the forums have a commonality, which broader social media does not.

Make paddleboarding great again!

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2019, 10:47:12 AM »
EB,  I have a massive amount of respect for 'Bill Taylors' who's names could be on a partner's list, named to 'The Board', run think tanks, foundations, or in Congress.   Instead, stuck their necks out while the -again because he's easy to search and was eager for us to engage in profitable battles- Dick Cheney took five deferments to avoid sticking his neck out.

Contrast that with the much-vilified, John Kerry who got three Purple Hearts, a Bronze and a Silver Star in Viet Nam in a short period. (Compared to a Marine grunt I know who got no medals for a couple of years of jungle night-patrols Kerry's service was not comparable in its danger or duration, but his neck was well exposed.) 

Jesus  ...look how they treated John McCain both in life and death in the last few years.

...and you are correct 100% correct. The Army was a big benifit to me that was only appreciated much later. It provided an exit route from concrete gangs, warehouses and fiberglass shiftwork in the industrial midwest.

Jim

(cool post, SL. It came in while I was typing)
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2019, 12:32:55 PM »
it is amazing that kerry, who saw active duty in vietnam, got swiftboated--while we elected a guy raised silver spoon, who spent his vietnam air nat'l guard time driving daddy's fast cars and snorting coke

and then there's bone spurs insulting mccain for "getting caught"

whatever............there i go again

better stuff: had a great visit with daughter in berkeley--and icing on cake was i got 3 nice days at OB SF---the third an OH clean classic

alaska air -- board flies as a checked bag! 30$ if first, 40$ if second -- took the creek 8'7" -- served me very well -- OB is a wave machine -- and i found everyone i met friendly -- so many peaks, could be the territoriality just doesn't brew? 

my starby faces a long repair -- effing thing's proving a POS construction-wise -- it's like paper under the pad -- pathetic -- peeled the pad back further and found it all cracked and leaky where i press front foot to pump and turn -- wtf were they thinking??? effing thing has a pound of water in it -- sure didnt get what i paid for in this pricey board
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2019, 12:39:09 PM »
Speaking for myself, I always appreciate the thank you(s).  In the Navy I never experienced boots on ground combat, but I still deployed and spent long periods at a time away from Family and worked insanely long hours doing my job. Granted it was desk work but it still was an important contribution to the mission and made all the difference in the world for other people's pay and benefits.  So for that I'm proud of what I did.   

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2019, 05:45:19 PM »
No need to get your panties twisted bro. I posted something because i'm thankful to those that have served...pretty simple.....not all deserve it but hard to separate the wheat from the chafe. Very few people were enlisting when my time came...tail end of the Vietnam war. I also had an older brother telling me it was the worst fucking decision he ever made and how much he hated it. I had considered following him into the navy prior to that..... ;)

Actually I didn't see your post. You must have unfriended me. It was a random one that set me off, but really I've always felt this way. The very first time someone said "thank you for your service" I thought "What the fuck are you talking about?" Maybe I should say "thank you for going to med school?" to my doctor.

I can tell you one thing for certain--you would NOT have done well in the military.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2019, 08:57:21 AM »
No I didn't unfriend you.....:)….come to think of it I don't think I've see any of yours lately either.

I have kind of the same thoughts on it. I can see thanking combat vets and the like and even just folks that went in because they wanted to serve. A good portion of the folks that I know that were in the military in one form or the other actually don't deserve much thanks.

I'm not so sure....I think I could have used a bit of direction back then. Though I probably would have either been all in or all out.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM