Author Topic: VERY Big Guy Foil Board suggestions  (Read 8901 times)

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
VERY Big Guy Foil Board suggestions
« on: November 11, 2019, 11:29:20 AM »
OK,
I post a good bit but I'm having trouble finding a foil board that will work for me (I'm guessing it will probably have to custom)
I'm 300+ pounds 6'2 My SUP surfboards are 32/33/36" wide 200 liters I'm comfortable in all conditions
I have a Fanatic Aero 2500 w/long fuselage

I need a board that is stable enough to attach it to

All ideas appreciated
Thanks
JimK

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: VERY Big Guy Foil Board suggestions
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 12:03:43 PM »
If you were in a reasonable range I'd give you Mr. Fugly, but it would be silly to ship and I think it's getting heavy. 7'2" X 33" X thick-as-fuck. I'm sure it would handle 300#, it deals with my 235 with lots to spare. I actually stood with toes on the rail once just to see if I could do it. You could hit up Dave K for a custom that would suit.

Otherwise, take the shortest sup you can stand on that has a relatively flat bottom. Have a tuttle installed and have at it. You'll outgrow it in weeks, but it's a start.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

frenchfoiler

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 12:38:18 PM »
OK,
I post a good bit but I'm having trouble finding a foil board that will work for me (I'm guessing it will probably have to custom)
I'm 300+ pounds 6'2 My SUP surfboards are 32/33/36" wide 200 liters I'm comfortable in all conditions
I have a Fanatic Aero 2500 w/long fuselage

I need a board that is stable enough to attach it to

All ideas appreciated
Thanks
JimK

Go custom, it is cheaper than china board anyway. You need a compact shape that fit you (ability to paddle straight on one side with powerfull stroke).

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2019, 02:10:51 PM »
Jimmy Lewis has a 180 liter board. 31” wide. It should be equal to a 33” wide regular SUP in stability.

The foils are where the big guys get screwed over the most. Big Mike (285 lbs) is always testing and asking Alex to make him bigger foils. I make Big Mike’s prone boards. I can’t make a SUP big enough for you. My EPS billet isn’t wide enough or long enough.

It’s absolutely critical you source the stiffest mast possible, for good stability first and foremost, then predictable handling secondary. I wonder how that new Slingshot carbon is going to measure up. They claim it is the stiffest mast in the industry. Mated with the Infinity 99 maybe? I don’t know anything about how the Fanatic mast stiffness stacks up. Most of the new bigger wings are being thinned out to make them work better for average weight riders. Also bad for big guys. Maliko 200 might be ideal, but then the mast isn’t the stiffest. Maybe grab a used cheap Maliko 200 and wrap more carbon near the head.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 02:16:58 PM by Dwight (DW) »

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2019, 04:44:17 PM »
We have the 8'6 x 32.5 x 195L Easy Foiler in stock for $1399, includes board bag and free air cargo shipping to nearest major airport:
https://www.blueplanetsurf.com/sups/foil-sups/

Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2019, 07:14:28 PM »
Dwight- Can you share Big Mike's prone foilboard dimensions? How about dimensions for a 240+ lb, guy? Shorter, wider and way thicker? Thx

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2019, 07:26:00 PM »
Actually, a monster foil like the M280 is really fairly comfy. Slower than shit, and draggy, but easy to control because it's not responsive. the mast twists like a pretzel, but who cares,  the foil just keeps doing its thing. I found them pretty easy to ride as long as you can keep them wet. They have a marked tendency to porpoise if you push the speed. Once you get to that point the M200 is your friend.

I'm serious about giving you Mr. Fugly. The more I thought about it the more sense it makes. It's a great board, but I've outgrown it, so to speak. It's not so pretty anymore, but it works.  If you want it, let me know Pronto. I'm headed to Maui early Wednesday. I can drop it off at Big Winds and they can ship it for you.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 07:30:04 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2019, 02:58:28 AM »
Dwight- Can you share Big Mike's prone foilboard dimensions? How about dimensions for a 240+ lb, guy? Shorter, wider and way thicker? Thx

He has 5 of them, all different.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal