Author Topic: Surfboard rental in Newport Beach  (Read 6972 times)

oakfish

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Surfboard rental in Newport Beach
« on: November 10, 2019, 09:16:21 AM »
Hey, guys.  I'm headed to Newport Beach for Thanksgiving to visit family.  We'll be near 52nd St.
My brother and I would like to rent a couple surfboards.  He doesn't paddlesurf, so I think I'm going to prone surf with him.  Any suggestions on where to rent boards?  Both of us are looking for a ~7.5' funboard shape to cover all conditions, though, it would be nice to have some options if the conditions allow.
Also, any suggestions on friendly breaks?
Thanks guys!  Excited to surf California.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Surfboard rental in Newport Beach
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2019, 05:00:11 PM »
Frog House.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SouthCounty

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 07:08:54 AM »
yup  go to the Frog House
14' x 27" Infinity blackfish
10'4 Infinity wide aquatic
14 x 24.5 Infinity blackfish dugout

oakfish

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2019, 07:22:58 AM »
excellent!  thanks, guys.

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2019, 09:30:01 AM »
I'm not from CA, but have been a tourist in Newport Beach, I rented from Frog House and surfed prone at Blackies (beginner break with a big parking lot north of the NB pier). Its really crowded but a great intro to crowded CA surf. There are a lot of newbs so even if you get vibed it will only be by a grumpy longboarder who wakes up every day to surf one of the most crowded breaks in the state and is pissed off that it is crowded. I also surfed in front of the basketball courts south of there, not sure the street number. That was definitely not a beginner break, it was less crowded but I caught less waves because nearly every surfer there was better and more local than me and I was scratchin up the scraps.

Along those lines, can anyone recommend a surf charter/guide for south OCounty? I have a trip in the spring but it is really limited on time and I won't have time to gather boards/suits, go to the beach, set up, figure out the lineup, surf, return equipment, etc. I have 3 daughters and they are all advanced beginners who will be surfing with me. Would like it if I could find someone who can just meet at the beach with the equipment, give us a run down of the line up and get out there.
Make paddleboarding great again!

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2019, 11:10:04 AM »
I'm not from CA, but have been a tourist in Newport Beach, I rented from Frog House and surfed prone at Blackies (beginner break with a big parking lot north of the NB pier). Its really crowded but a great intro to crowded CA surf. There are a lot of newbs so even if you get vibed it will only be by a grumpy longboarder who wakes up every day to surf one of the most crowded breaks in the state and is pissed off that it is crowded. I also surfed in front of the basketball courts south of there, not sure the street number. That was definitely not a beginner break, it was less crowded but I caught less waves because nearly every surfer there was better and more local than me and I was scratchin up the scraps.

Along those lines, can anyone recommend a surf charter/guide for south OCounty? I have a trip in the spring but it is really limited on time and I won't have time to gather boards/suits, go to the beach, set up, figure out the lineup, surf, return equipment, etc. I have 3 daughters and they are all advanced beginners who will be surfing with me. Would like it if I could find someone who can just meet at the beach with the equipment, give us a run down of the line up and get out there.
Girls? Here's your link http://www.girlinthecurl.com/ Really good surf people. Been there for years.
It's not overhead to me!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2019, 11:22:26 AM »
If you're traveling light and surfing prone, never underestimate the power of Costco. A set of wavestorms can set you back about the same amount as a few days of rental, and in the end, you give them to kids on the beach. I've done it three times. I doubt I'll be doing it again, the last time I had to sleep sitting in a chair for two days because of the strain of popping up before I reached the sand.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2019, 04:29:47 PM »

Girls? Here's your link http://www.girlinthecurl.com/ Really good surf people. Been there for years.

Cool, thank you. I will get ahold of them. I have 3 daughters 11, 13 and 16. All of them paddle out, catch green waves, and trim down the line well enough. The 11 and 16 are starting to make turns but the 13 is getting more into boogie boarding (because the middle child always has to be different). She still hangs in the lineup with us, but on a different ride.
Make paddleboarding great again!

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2019, 05:14:31 PM »

Cool, thank you. I will get ahold of them. I have 3 daughters 11, 13 and 16. All of them paddle out, catch green waves, and trim down the line well enough. The 11 and 16 are starting to make turns but the 13 is getting more into boogie boarding (because the middle child always has to be different). She still hangs in the lineup with us, but on a different ride.
Doheny is a good spot because you can SUP and prone surf in the same spot. SUP's have to stay south of the Hammer which is in line with the tall lifeguard headquarters building. Everyone is pretty cool with SUPs there and there are a lot of beginners. It's the same area that is shown in the Girl in the Curl website's intro video.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 05:16:13 PM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!

Shawn

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2019, 04:27:23 PM »
TK FROG HOUSE.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal