Author Topic: Session 8; more foot switch, less falling  (Read 9657 times)

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Session 8; more foot switch, less falling
« on: November 09, 2019, 02:48:46 AM »
Since my last post (session 5)
Session 6: crappy location with 6-15 mph and big chop. Got nowhere
Session 7: ideal 14-21 mph at the Canadian Hole in Buxton (awesome practice spot), good progress except for donating my Gopro 7 to the briny deep. A few choice words to myself for not using a safety lanyard, and then just kept riding like it never happened
Session 8: 16-25 mph back at the Canadian Hole. More progress using my 4m duotone and my Gong XL Pro. [Won’t ever go back to a high volume low aspect (high lift) draggy foil wing again. Selling my standard Gong XL, which is probably close to a GoFoil M200]. Some added confidence gained foot switching (big sweet spot compared to kite foiling on little boards). Practicing S-turns and never riding more than 1 minute on a given tack works for me. New GoPro 7 working well......with mega safety lanyard :P ......9 minute stint of not falling :)

Back to big time flailing next session attempting to learn upwind tacks and other cool stuff, if it’s not too cold yet 🥶

https://youtu.be/gdiCg0b8m_0

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Session 8; more foot switch, less falling
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2019, 07:18:50 AM »
8 sessions and it looks like you have it!

Great Job.  Can we say that this is officially easy  8)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2019, 07:46:25 AM »
Fantastic, especially for just eight sessions. I have noticed that kite foilers get this all very quickly and tend to be a lot more comfortable going toeside/heelside. The windsurfers all want to switch feet every jibe or tack. Some folks like me that windsurfed for a long time (no foiling) and then surf foiled (with no switchfoot) are completely confused and take longer to sort it out.

The higher aspect wings are a revelation. Much more glide time to get things done and they seem to allow a bigger sweet spot for shuffling feet around.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2019, 08:28:27 AM »
Looking good OBX.  Grins for days!

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2019, 08:34:16 AM »
Good job! I am learning too, fun eh?!?  ;D
Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

AGK

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2019, 11:08:20 AM »
Looking good, Dave!!  I'm jumping in to wingies in the spring -- I'll def be trying to get you to teach me all your hard-won early-adopter lessons.

Are you getting enough depth to foil at Canadian Hole even in NE winds?

Andy

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2019, 12:16:49 PM »
Are you getting enough depth to foil at Canadian Hole even in NE winds?

Andy

Andy, the Hole is good from NNE-N-NW-W-SW-S.  Too much East will be gusty offshore in the channel zone. You could even go 80 cm on the mast once you’re familiar with the channel boundaries. The risk is getting into a shallow zone on the foil and going down. You could end up with a long walk back to deeper water. The water stays pretty flat in the channel so I just stick with the shorter mast.

61 years old here with bum knees (wear knee pads under my wetsuit), lousy back from old surgery, and a questionable left shoulder. Definitely not a fast learner and terrified of anything beyond waist high ocean side.  However, I’ve been windsurfing since 1980, kiteboarding since 2000, and kitefoiling for 2 full seasons, and the OBX offers up some ideal wing foil learning conditions if you can find the right sound side locations (not always easy). In crap conditions I can’t do didly, but built up muscle memory sure does help when conditions and gear are matched right.

Left foot forward (regular) is still my strong stance so that’s the stance I use to learn new stuff on. If I’m motivated I’ll try and relearn it goofy stance. The second I think it’s easy I get humbled quickly soon thereafter.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal