Author Topic: Total Anatomical Shoulder Replacement  (Read 33433 times)

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
Re: Total Anatomical Shoulder Replacement
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2019, 03:27:21 PM »
 Interesting day here yesterday right from the start. First the toilet and tub backed up and there was no way we were getting it unclogged on our own so I had to call a plumber. So while waiting for the plumber I finally had to go to the bathroom and the number two kind which had been four days since I last went due to the anesthesia and pain meds. So I called my sister and she gave me the code to one of her property's she manages right here on the ocean a block away, but the garage door opener seem to have a dead battery and it wouldn't work after 5 tries. So there's a porta-potty like two lots away at a construction site but there was a whole huge pile of lumber in front of it and I couldn't get the door open wide enough to get my super sling through it so I ended up running over to a friend's house and using her bathroom just in the nick of time.
  So the plumber finally showed up and had to remove the toilet and run a hundred foot snake through the line twice which cleared out a crap ton of roots. Then he had to retrofit a new flange on there since the old one was totally rusted out which didn't surprise me since it was 15 years old, put a new waxy o-ring on, and reinstall the toilet. So $600 later we're back in business. I did all this before a visit from a surfing buddy around noon which was definitely the nicer part of the day.

Day 5....Gnarly bruise developed.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 03:55:53 PM by surfercook »
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

supthecreek

« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2019, 03:49:21 PM »
haha... love to have a vid of that debacle, it would have made a great Laurel & Hardy high speed comedy  ;D ;D

as Mark Twain famously quipped: “Humor is tragedy plus time.”
Bruises are badges earned.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2019, 03:42:29 AM »
cookie!

youre on the home stretch--a long one, but more perseverance than anything dengerous

props to you for stepping up, and getting things fixed

my wise: "body'like a house--make repairs when they are few and little--or youll be gutting it soon enough"

of course i dont listen---limping around on this hip, ignoring minor hernia etc etc

good youre getting your house in order!

oh and the bathroom too--but wherever you took that 4 day delayed opioid dump, it had to be glorious!!!!!

get well--get me more videos!!!

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2019, 05:38:13 AM »
eastie- Not quite home yet. This is my 10th day staying at home. Been lucky to be able to take it easy. Movement is SO limited, weak, and painful. I take my arm outa "Super Sling" 3 or 4 times a day and exercise the arm a bit. Elbow, wrist, and fingers only. Monday staples out! That will be nice.
This feels like a train wreck...or maybe gunshot wound!

My cat keeps me good company.
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2019, 08:39:32 AM »
@ Cookie

Wow! You have a lot of staples. When I had the bone spur removed in my right shoulder and rotator fixed, I only had 7 staples. Looks like you will have a sore shoulder for quite awhile. A lot longer than what I had with my right shoulder. But when you get back on the water, you find what you went through is worth the wait.

I gather you haven't been to official physical therapy with a therapist yet. Just remember to take two pain pills before your first session. With your therapist, try to set a time goal when you want to be back on the water and work towards it. It is a good incentive.

Since you're basically "house bound" at this time, if you're stuck at the house during the day with no one to talk to, if you like, I can give you my land line home phone number in a private message and we can shoot the breeze which will help to pass the time for you. Your choice since I'm retired from the work force which makes me, "foot loose and fancy free" time wise.

BTW, I see you're a cat person. I'm a cat person too. I have a short haired orange colored tiger striped male cat named, "Tucker". He kept me company through my right shoulder surgery.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 08:43:34 AM by Night Wing »
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2019, 10:12:42 AM »
eastie- Not quite home yet. This is my 10th day staying at home. Been lucky to be able to take it easy. Movement is SO limited, weak, and painful. I take my arm outa "Super Sling" 3 or 4 times a day and exercise the arm a bit. Elbow, wrist, and fingers only. Monday staples out! That will be nice.
This feels like a train wreck...or maybe gunshot wound!

My cat keeps me good company.

Dude! Nice incision especially coming from an orthopod. Looks great and every day will be a step closer to the water. Having your furry friend to keep you company is good therapy for the soul.

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2019, 11:56:17 AM »
Two weeks post surgery and the surgical staples are out. 19 of em. Still feels like a bullet wound. Bit of a bleeder on one of those staple extractions, right down my chest. That was a bit unnerving! Gonna be a long road ahead before a paddle is in my grip. No prob, waiting it out patiently.

New parts-

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2019, 12:23:25 PM »
Now comes the tedious part. The physical therapy. Do you when your therapy starts?
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2019, 12:25:38 PM »
Does anyone else find this x-ray humerus? ;D ;D ;D

Keep up the good healin' Marc!

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2019, 12:29:27 PM »
Now comes the tedious part. The physical therapy. Do you when your therapy starts?
In a few weeks. Already started minimal movement exercise w/forearm, wrist, and fingers...shoulder needs more time.

Does anyone else find this x-ray humerus? ;D ;D ;D

Ha ha! My PT already used that one on me!  That really tickles my funny bone.  :P

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2019, 02:37:00 PM »
Your PT sounds like a great guy!

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2019, 07:30:22 PM »
Almost four weeks post op...feels pretty bullet wound still...like maybe 10% use of the shoulder...forearm is good w/almost complete movement of elbow, wrist, and fingers. Shoulder is very limited movement w/a fair amount of constant pain. Two more weeks in the sling still.  Looks like my PT starts after I'm out of the thing. Been walking alot. Tried playing my ukulele today, 5 mins in and had to ditch it. Too painful. Been hittin' the keys.
  Getting a bit antsy not being able to drive. Lucky I have my wife and my sister helping out.
Got a hold of a cryo-cuff from a buddy. Helps alot w/icing after my in-home PT of forearm, elbow, wrist, and fingers..

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2019, 07:48:11 PM »
Sounds like you're getting through it. The keyboards is probably a better angle and movement as long as stay within an octave. A two octave run might hurt ;D
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2019, 12:06:52 AM »
Sounds like the doc did his work alright.  Now comes the rehab slog. 
Head down and push forward.

The music will help.

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2019, 10:27:54 AM »
Almost four weeks post op...feels pretty bullet wound still...like maybe 10% use of the shoulder...forearm is good w/almost complete movement of elbow, wrist, and fingers. Shoulder is very limited movement w/a fair amount of constant pain. Two more weeks in the sling still.  Looks like my PT starts after I'm out of the thing. Been walking alot. Tried playing my ukulele today, 5 mins in and had to ditch it. Too painful. Been hittin' the keys.
  Getting a bit antsy not being able to drive. Lucky I have my wife and my sister helping out.
Got a hold of a cryo-cuff from a buddy. Helps alot w/icing after my in-home PT of forearm, elbow, wrist, and fingers..

Wait - they didn't send you home with one? When my left shoulder had a repair ( and a Mumford Procedure - Doc didn't mention that till after - holy moly, talk about "gunshot" https://medivisuals1.com/images/view.aspx?productId=3893 ) - I was attatched to that thing non-stop the first week. Bags and bags and bags of ice were melted. Same thing with my knee - but my insurance would only pay for the cheap one - next time I will suck it up and pay for the one that circulates itself. So - FYI to anyone considering joint surgery - if they don't get you one, borrow/beg/buy one and use it a lot.

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM