Author Topic: Total Anatomical Shoulder Replacement  (Read 33455 times)

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
Re: Total Anatomical Shoulder Replacement
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2019, 05:45:41 PM »
Well tomorrow this time I'll be a new man! Today felt like my last day as a free man. Kinda like Ed Norton in one of my favorite movies.

25th Hour
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0307901/

I was reading up a bit on the shoulder too, which put my mind at ease...somewhat.
https://orthoinfo.aaos.org/en/treatment/shoulder-joint-replacement/
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

supthecreek

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2019, 07:02:28 PM »
See you on the other side cookieman.... be well!

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2019, 08:37:00 PM »
Just relax, and take what life brings at you. You just got to duck dive that big set. You'll pop up on the other side a new man. All positive brother.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2019, 08:59:29 PM »
@ Cookie

Hope your surgeon finds no unexpected surprises. Wishing you a text book recovery.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2019, 11:24:13 PM »
All the best. And when you are recovered maybe a trip to Europe.

beached

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2019, 03:05:36 AM »
had the same procedure done about 4 years ago. went pretty well but that first month is a bit of a drag...hard to sleep sitting up, constant icing, and stuff like that. but it goes by relatively fast. the physical therapy afterwards isn't too bad either. did that for 2 months. after 3 months was back SUP surfing and kiting. SUP surfing still annoys my shoulder, but at least i can move it above my waist now. don't expect your shoulder to ever feel 100%, it won't. much weaker overall (relative to when i was healthy), but most days i don't even remember it was done. i still do shoulder stretching/exercises daily. just get used to setting off metal detectors at airports. good luck!

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2019, 03:51:07 AM »
Thanx, Zoners.
Seeya on the other side, Creek.
This set's gonna be a doozy, TD.
Thanx for the info regarding the post[op experience, NW. Been quite curious about that.
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2019, 08:24:53 AM »
@ Cookie

My orthopedic surgeon operates on Wednesday at the sports medicine complex where he has his office on the 3rd floor. The operating rooms are on the 1st floor and the PT rooms are on the 2nd floor. Two days after I had my left shoulder procedure done in 2002 to remove a large bone spur, I was in PT on the second floor two days later, on Friday. This was the worst PT session I had since I was really sore. All black and blue.

My surgeon requested a man named Brian to work with me. Since I love the outdoors and my surgeon does too, he knew Brian and I would be a perfect match because Brian was going to work me harder than usual. I was also instructed to take 2 vicoden tablets one hour before my scheduled arrival time of 10:00 am and I was "not" supposed to come to PT wearing my sling.

When I finally met Brian on that Friday morning, we exchanged pleasantries and then he had me sit down on a chair with the chair facing sideways to the table. He then told me to PUT my arm up on the table. I told him I couldn't LIFT my arm that high just two days after surgery. He told me, PUT your left arm up on the table. I told him, "did you hear what I said about me not being able to LIFT my left arm that high?". Brian looked at me and said he heard me the first time. Then he said, "PUT your arm up on the table."

It then dawned on me Brian wanted to see how well I could think on the fly and solve a problem. So I told Brian, "if you want me to PUT my arm up on the table parallel to my shoulder, this is how I'm going to do it". With my right hand, I grabbed my left wrist and then LIFTED and PUT my left arm on the table shoulder high.

Brain then told me, "you and I are going to get along just fine". Brian knew I couldn't LIFT my arm up on the table, but he wanted me to figure out on my own how to PUT (what he wanted) my left arm up on the table, which when done was shoulder high. He told me that there will be some exercisedsI might have trouble with, but there was a way to do them.

After 12 sessions with Brian (3 session a week on Monday, Wednesday, Friday) for 1 month, when I was released from "official" PT, Brian told I did 3 months of PT work that most people do in 1 month's time. Then he told me I would keep the same time sessions at my home for 6 months and don't slack off during the times I was doing PT on my own at my house. Result, no problems with my left shoulder.

Fast forward to 2017 when I found out, via an MRI, a large bone spur in my right shoulder had cut 90% through my rotator cuff. Again I had the same surgeon who performed the procedure on my right shoulder on a Wednesday morning and two days later, on a Friday morning, I was back on the 2nd floor for my one month of official PT with the same work sessions like I had with my left shoulder.

Since Brian was still there 15 years later, I tried to get him, but he was booked solid. Bummer! But my surgeon had the perfect replacement for me. A woman by the name of Vanessa who was trained by Brian.

When I walked into PT that Friday morning, I was greeted by Brian and we exchanged some small talk. Then he introduced me to Vanessa. Both Vanessa and I exchanged small talk with Brian still in the room. Then Vanessa had me put a chair sideways to a table, had me sit in the chair and then she told me to PUT my right arm up on the table at shoulder height.

I shifted my eyes towards Brain and saw he had a slight grin on his fade because he knew what I was about to do. So with my left hand, I grabbed my right wrist and lifted my right arm up on the table to shoulder height. Then Vanessa gave a small laugh and said to me, "You and I will get along just fine". And I worked those exercises like a demon from hell for that one month for the official sessions of PT.

So I did my one month's of PT with Vanessa, 3 times a week in 1 hour sessions for 4 weeks on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays. At the end of that one month, Vanessa told me I had done the amount of 3 months of PT work in one months time. Then when I was released; I was told to do some of the same exercises I had done in PT at the sports medicine place, at my home in the same time sessions but for 11 (eleven) months.

Both my surgeon and my therapists told me the home PT sessions were very crucial and if I didn't want any pain in either of my right or left shoulders as long as I didn't "slack off". BTW, with both my left and then my right shoulder, I had full range of motion in both of them 7 days after my first PT official sessions.

But even when I was doing my official PT sessions at the complex on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays; I was doing those sessions PT wise at my house on Saturdays, Tuesdays and Thursdays.

So in conclusion; when you are in official PT, work your shoulder. I will tell you this. Your first official PT session, it will hurt like a "mother". But everyone's first PT session; whether for a knee, arm, shoulder, hip, those individuals with those procedures, they were in lots of pain in their first PT session.

There were some with me who, when they first encountered some pain when doing their exercises, they whined and wanted to skip some of those exercises. But the therapist for these people, they told them if they don't do their exercises "properly" and push through the pain, they would have pain in whatever arms, shoulders, hips, etc; for the rest of their lives. And if they balked at that, they it was suggested to just stay home and don't waste their time and the therapists time.

So be diligent when doing your exercises and give it 110% effort for every exercise when in official PT or at your home when you're doing you home PT exercises.

Stay the course and when your shoulder is pain free and you're "allowed" to be back on the water on your sup, per your surgeon's approval, your first ride back on your sup will be one of the most enjoyable sup session you will experience whether it is a flat water session or sup surfing some knee high waves, waist high waves or head high waves. I know because I've been there "twice" with my left shoulder first and then with my right shoulder second.

Take care, Cookie.

CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2019, 11:10:35 AM »
I wish you a speedy recovery Marc!  Looking forward to paddling with you when you are all healed up for sure.

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2019, 03:20:42 PM »
72 hours post-op and the pain is still pretty brutal. At first I was 10 mg of oxy every 4 hours but now I've reduced it to every 7 hours. I'm hoping that I'll be able to cut it out altogether in a day or two because this stuff makes you Looney. It feels like a cross between a bullet and a knife in my shoulder at present. I do manage to get some okay rest after taking an oxy though
I appreciate the lengthy detailed description of your rehab Nightwing. You are truly a rehab hero and I will try to draw inspiration from your experience.
Bean, we still have to do that Inlet Crossing.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 03:44:43 PM by surfercook »

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2019, 08:28:42 PM »
@ Cookie

When I had both of my shoulders operated on, in pre-op first in 2002 and then 2017, my surgeon suggested a nerve block because without one, the pain is quite severe after the procedure.

The nerve block I was given lasts between 20-24 hours. In both instances, the nerve block started to wear off at the 20 hour mark. At 22 hours after  my surgery, I started taking 2 hydrocodone tablets every 4 hours.

The first 3 days after my procedures, my surgeon told told me those will be the most painful days. Starting on the 4th day, the pain starts to lessen and I suspect you will experience that too.

Hydrocodone can be addictive for some people. My surgeon told me when the pain was manageable, quit taking the hydrocodone.

My surgeon wrote a prescription for 30 hydrocodone tablets for each procedure, but I only took 16 tablets. One hour before my first PT session at the sports medicine complex, I took 2 hydrocodone tablets because my surgeon told me the first day of PT is quite painful. My second PT session, I didn't need the hydrocodone so I didn't take any.

In total, I only needed 18 hydrocodone tablets and the last 12 of those tablets, I eventually threw them in the garbage. By the time you read this post, your shoulder pain should start to lessen. You'll still be quite sore, but it should start to be manageable.

supthecreek

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2019, 10:27:57 PM »
Cookieman, good to see you come up for air!
Day by day, my friend! Soon, a memory!

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2019, 12:16:00 AM »
All the strength with the pain. Hope find an alternative to the oxy.
And NWing is an inspirational lead for the rehab.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2019, 05:16:22 PM »
If there's no post-op fever at this point, you're looking good.  8)
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2019, 06:36:52 PM »
You’re on your way Marc, very exited for you!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal