Author Topic: Anyone familiar with QUATRO SUP?  (Read 16336 times)

BrownSugah

• Malibu Status
  • Like Pahhtay wit me ?
    • View Profile
    • Email
Anyone familiar with QUATRO SUP?
« on: October 30, 2019, 05:49:43 PM »
Saw a youtube video on them and a couple shapes at my local shop but looking for more reviews on the 8'6 to 8'8 range.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPBS-DxLDvI&t=56s
ALOHA

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone familiar with QUATRO SUP?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2019, 06:17:59 PM »
They’re a well respected brand, designed out of Maui. Their shapes tend to be definitely surf shaped, but wide with a lot of volume/width up front. They have their AST and lighter weight constructions. Ive paddled one but personally never surfed one. Hopefully someone here has, and can share. The construction quality impression was good.
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

jarvissup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2019, 04:28:50 AM »
I owned the 8'2"x29" Carve Pro for a bit, and I have a friend that has two of the glide boards in the pro construction. They are nice boards, the pro construction is very light and durable compared with other pro boards I've owned. They are a first rate, premium company if you like the shapes. Though my carve pro was a very good board, I have become picky to an extreme level, and let the board go.

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2019, 06:03:41 AM »
I'm VERY familiar with Quatro SUP's
Been super impressed with the Glide in both constructions. Great everyday board The Carve is equal or better of any high performance board on the market. The Roam in both constructions are fun in smooth and choppy water and you KNOW I had to try it in small surf and it was AMAZING! (FUN)

It is a simple line (only 4 models) construction is top notch Pad is excellent (and stays down) if they have an issue I'd say they are a bit over finned size wise. Side fins are fine but I suggest a smaller trailer fin plus Ive yet to find a quadfin setup I like for the Glide or carve

If I had to describe what sets their designs apart in one simple statement

Quatro has been making high performance boards that always seem to be right under your feet at the end of any maneuvers
It's like magic

There is alot more to say but best to PM me with specific questions

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2019, 10:20:46 AM »
I have to say, I love that they do sizing in 10L increments from 140L down to 100L.

nalu-sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2019, 05:18:08 PM »
I did swap boards with guy on the water for a few waves, and rode the Glide Pro 8'6" x 32" @ 130 liters. I am 5'11", 163 lbs, 68 years old, started surfing in 1959, and have been SUP surfing for about 5 years averaging about 100 days a year on Maui, home of Quatro.
My basic take from riding the board, which by the way lines up with Quatro's description, is that it is a very stable allrounder, with decent wave performance for beginner up to intermediate SUP surfers.
I will compare it to the boards in my own quiver:
1. That day I was riding my 8'8"X 31" @ 120 liter Blue Planet All Good. The Quatro was more stable, and floated me much higher in the water, feeling like it had a ton of volume. It reminded me of my old 8'11" Fanatic Allwave. It was easy to catch waves, but had too much volume and width for me to get any high performance from the board. It was not at all close to the All Good in terms of performance, but would be a nice stable board for an intermediate or a heavier rider. With all the width in the tail, I would not want to drop into anything overhead on this size and model Quatro.
2. No comparison to my Sunova Flow 8'7" X 30" at 121 liters. The Quatro is far more stable, and the Flow is much higher performance, probably closer to the Quatro Carve.
3. A fairer comparison might be my Tabou Supasurf 9' X 31.5" @ 145 liters. The stability and width are pretty similar, but the Tabou still surfs better. In fairness, I run a very small trailing fin on my Tabou, and the owner of the Quatro was running a huge trailing fin. However, I felt that the surfing difference was mostly related to the very wide tail on the Quatro, compared to the pulled in tail with wingers on the Tabou.
Bottom line is that the Quatro is a great board for a lighter beginner, or a heavier intermediate who wants a shorter board that still has tons of volume and stability. Neither Quatro nor myself would suggest it as a ripping high performance board for an advanced to expert surfer. Quatro build quality is excellent, so a higher level sailor wanting to go with that brand might consider the Carve model, if they can handle the narrower widths.
Hope that helps.
8'7" Sunova Flow 
8'8" Sunova SP25
9'0" Elua Makani
9'0" Tabou SupaSurf 
14' SIC Bullet 2020

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal