Author Topic: Duotone Wing Thread  (Read 32257 times)

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Duotone Wing Thread
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2019, 12:22:44 AM »
Yep, now we’re talking! Just make that new boom extra light; maybe non adjustable Carbon with fixed extension pieces for different wing sizes (?)...... I just love the infinite grab/slide positions and solid feel of a boom.

Had a warm, slightly gusty 18-28 N-NE Christmas Eve day in Hatteras and got to keep working on upwind tacks. I kept tweaking my hand positions on the boom by “feel” and pulled off 5 of 8 toe to heelside tack attempts for the session. Even made two of them without coming off the foil. Totally awesome feeling ;D. A quick hand switch=>overhead swing=>quick backhand regrab (a little farther back on the boom per River’s adivce)....all by feel, and not having to make a quick regrab on one particular spongy web handle at a fixed position.  Guess I’m just a boom kinda guy......
« Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 12:28:38 AM by obxDave »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2019, 03:12:28 AM »
It looks like they have done a lot of smart things to advance this model. 

It looks like they have gone with a Swing-like leading edge and outline (higher aspect, leading edge doesn't carry around into a deep D).
Went to a inflatable strut design.
It looks like the battens are gone.
It looks like the windows are gone.

That should bring them into Swing territory weight wise.

Questions are:

Is there a luff strut?  I hope so!
Did they do away with the heavy boom and move to rigid strut mounted handles, bar or bars (or better yet a user configurable strut mounted setup)?

« Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 03:42:19 AM by Admin »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2019, 04:45:51 AM »
Is there a luff strut?  I hope so!

The way Fone apples it, I don’t consider it a luff strut. It’s a tensioned web that doesn’t luff.

Duotone could just make the inflated strut follow the same deep canopy curve of an Fone. Then they would have all the free space needed to place a carbon handle below it, unobstructed.

Now give it a normal kite bag and they win. Oh...and stop sewing kites so we can buy the dam things.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 04:48:04 AM by Dwight (DW) »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2019, 05:00:29 AM »
Yes, Slingshot and others have their struts significantly curved to force in shape.  I don't think that gets you to the Swing luff strut magic though.  The luff strut allows you to put the wing in neutral.  The Gaastra (below) has a pretty cool shape to their new luff strut.  They also did a really flat cylindrical strut which would be perfect for attaching rigid handles, bar or bars to but they have not yet taken that step.  In any event I don't see either on this Duotone prototype (but it is hard to make out).

« Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 05:18:49 AM by Admin »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2019, 07:22:28 AM »
I don’t see it the same. A luff strut collapses the leading edge camber when sheeted out. Kites did this to gain a level of instant depower. It also created some drag. Dragging you down the beach when the kite was at neutral.

The Fone (unless I’m not paying attention to when it happens) doesn’t collapse when sheeting out. The cut of the canopy, combined with the leading edge arc, is so unique, it’s the only version with a web above the strut that keeps the wing profile tight and shaped at all times.

So the magic is coming from all features combined. That web doesn’t collapse (luff).

So if the Duotone has no web, don’t rule it out.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 07:59:08 AM by Dwight (DW) »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: December 25, 2019, 08:43:13 AM »
I don’t see it the same. A luff strut collapses the leading edge camber when sheeted out. Kites did this to gain a level of instant depower. It also created some drag. Dragging you down the beach when the kite was at neutral.

The Fone (unless I’m not paying attention to when it happens) doesn’t collapse when sheeting out. The cut of the canopy, combined with the leading edge arc, is so unique, it’s the only version with a web above the strut that keeps the wing profile tight and shaped at all times.

So the magic is coming from all features combined. That web doesn’t collapse (luff).

I agree with that DW.  It doesn't collapse.  To me it just gets a softer more elastic feel (more neutral).

I am definitely looking forward to everyone's second year designs. 

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2019, 01:10:58 PM »
I watched the web while winging today. Pinching very high upwind, there is some distortion. A slight backwind collapse/dip near the leading edge. So a rigid strut following the canopy, would change behavior a little. Good or bad, no idea. 80 degrees today. So fun.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal