Author Topic: Hot Sails wing with Carbon Microbars  (Read 4473 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Hot Sails wing with Carbon Microbars
« on: October 30, 2019, 04:46:55 AM »
Jeff Henderson is in the game with a new wing with carbon microbars.  I love to see innovation in the handles!

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
Re: Hot Sails wing with Carbon Microbars
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2019, 05:20:30 AM »
If it's any help we have TONS of fiberglas and carbon tube batten stock
If we can be of any help
JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2019, 06:41:44 AM »
I was talking to Mark Raaphorst on the phone last night and he told me about this. Jeff is a great designer, I'm thrilled that he's entered the Wing market. His SuperFreak sails are the only sails I'll use. Definitely an outside the box kind of guy. I'm going to have to swing by his shop as soon as I get back to Maui.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2019, 05:28:36 AM »
This video shows the Hot Microbars really nicely.  It still looks like they may have used non-rigid fabric attachments and it is hard to tell if the handles are too close to the boom but all in all it is a step closer.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B5veh6znhkl/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2019, 08:03:03 PM »
I went by Kanaha Kai and talked with Jeff about his wings. The idea behind the micro booms is to be able to stuff the wing into a small pack. He's got visions of an eBike with a foil in a rack like I did with my el Cheapo Fatbike. I didn't tell him about the kidney shot I took from mine when I muffed getting off the bike.

The wings look good but I expect he's going to be tuning and fiddling a while to try to get to version 2.0 instead of launching with yet another wing. I told him my theory about bigass wings being the future. I'm reasonably certain he didn't buy it. Jeff looked at me in a manner that said "I'd say you're full of shit, but I'm too polite to say that out loud".
« Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 08:06:08 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2019, 08:06:31 AM »
What'ya bet there is already a letter from Mattel's, bespoke-suited lawyers in his POB.   

Bill, isn't the issue with big wings - wingspan and the too likely contact with water?  Eyeballing it, they all seem to have about the same span/cord ratio. (maybe that 9 from GONG is different...?)

Jim

Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2019, 11:04:30 AM »
Big wings are generally lower aspect ratio, so lots of chord. The Gong wings are super low aspect.

I think that bigger wings need something to hold their shape and remain efficient as wings. The lifting element of holding the wing over my head is very useful to me. My biggest wing is a 5M and of course, I have a 6M on order. But I'd like a 7 even better. But the designers and manufacturers need to get control of the canopy nailed down a little better before those sizes are really practical. I think that was clear to Gong early on because they attempted larger sizes before everyone else did. I doubt they really have a practical 9M yet, but the new design probably moves them closer.

I also notice in the video that Jeff's windows are in a much better location--windows near the middle are nearly useless for anything other than going downwind--at least that how it seems to me. Those windows not only seem useful, but they're also in an area of the wing that's subject to less force and therefore less stretch. Most windsurfers probably remember the old mylar sails that didn't have kevlar thread laminated into them. Besides banging all over the place they also stretched and bagged like crazy. I remember an early 5.5M I had that weighed about as much as a mattress and after a few sessions sailed  as well as one.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 11:12:21 AM by PonoBill »

supkailua

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2019, 12:15:45 PM »
I am using the Swing 6 now and don't think I will be looking for something larger. I can't imagine being able to go in less wind on a larger size wing, and the larger wing at that point will just add weight and issues touching the water in my opinion. It will also be harder to control if the wind comes up.

Jim, I had no problems with the 6 hitting the water. It is very stable so it is not bouncing around as much as smaller wings in higher wind might do, so it is easy to keep out of the water.

I expect the 6 will be my most used Wing. I have not determined what my top wind speed is with it yet, but in the lower winds it is fantastic and so easy to control.

I look forward to the Hot Wing coming out. I really liked the Hot Sails and it is nice to see a sail manufacturer jumping into the wing market too.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2019, 08:58:37 AM »
Cool, thanks SK.  I figured a 5 would be too close to the 4 WASP.  There are so many brands being released now, it's hard not to get distracted.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal