Author Topic: The Slingshot High Roller Project  (Read 74051 times)

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Re: The Slingshot High Roller Project
« Reply #60 on: December 03, 2019, 06:14:06 AM »
This is some great information - I print out the solid bits.  Thanks to all who contribute.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

surlygringo

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 04, 2019, 10:17:49 AM »
Dwight,

Thanks for the heads up on the Groove Skateboard. That’s some serious nose flip! I agree that it is nice to have something that isn’t too flat for touchdowns and if I end up deciding to go that low in volume I will definitely keep that board in mind. I am still hoping that with a little practice/training I will be able to work out that water start on a bit more volume, something in the 30-40 ltr range.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: December 05, 2019, 03:57:51 AM »
Admin,

I like the looks of those pocket boards. It’s nice to see that the cool kids are able to make them work. Thanks for the great shot of the board. It is helpful to see the strap placement

I was stoked to see that as well.  I went down to NSI to see if they had some all foam straps.  They didn't but I peeled back their lightest strap and saw what I was looking for so I bought a bunch of those.  I am going to mount these like Tituan has his (but wider and looser so I can get out) and see if I can get into them in the pool.  I may hourglass them as well if they work.  PS:  He is on a 5 meter Swing in what looks to be normal wind...and boosting in flat water.  So cool!

« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 04:53:09 AM by Admin »

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 06, 2019, 03:26:51 AM »
This type pocket board is my favorite, for one reason, the nose. There is nothing more aggravating than a board with zero tolerance for a ricochet off the water. This board solves that. I made a knock-off of the board. I eventually sold it and went back to a 4’8, but this suits your need perfectly I think.

https://www.groovekiteboards.it/boards/foil-board-skate-freestyle-2/

https://youtu.be/uJ0Zqi1Gysc

This is getting too mumbly jumbly. :P So I need to take my little guy out in deep water on a windy day and work my arse off to do a sink-the-board pump-everything-furiously water start, rather than just doing it with a kite where I’m yanked up on the foil before the kite is even half way through the first downstroke.  Ok got it, a new challenge! (and my foiling life has come full circle.......)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 03:48:08 AM by obxDave »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: December 06, 2019, 03:56:04 AM »
We mounted these footstraps yesterday and brought this to the pool (no foil).  Swimming laps keeps us moving in December and January so this will be a fun and ridiculous add-on for cool down :).  We both really liked the addition of straps.  It only took a couple of tries to work out getting into them and after that it makes controlling the board underwater feel great.  You can twist it, lift the nose, and adjust if you get off balance really nicely.  It seems like this will be really helpful in guiding the board to the surface.  We swam a few laps on the board and it motors along nicely.  Belly touch point goes between the straps.  The straps are super soft, flexy and comfy so no problem there, even bare chested.  It swims like a big shortboard which is a little surprising.  I had originally mounted the front strap at and angle but I changed it to straight.  It is loose enough that I can twist my (size 13) foot to a very forward angle so this should be good.  Really easy outs as well.  We have two moths of down time and we want to have it so we can get on and in without a thought.  That should make the hard part a little easier when we get back to it.

Side note:  I am so happy to be back in the pool.  Each year I forget what a perfect exercise swimming is.  Man does it make the body feel great.  There is a Physical Therapist there who was watching us goof around on kick boards and we got to talking.  I asked for some hip stretches and he gave me some tips that I have been using.  I realize that I had prematurely written off some motions due to age and other stuff that were really just due to my not wanting to go through an uncomfortable process.  Now I am wondering if I can get really limber.  Pretty cool.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 04:29:50 AM by Admin »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: December 06, 2019, 04:19:20 AM »
Ok got it, a new challenge! (and my foiling life has come full circle.......)

This is fantastic to hear.  I am stoked to hear how it goes.

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 06, 2019, 09:49:23 AM »
Side note:  I am so happy to be back in the pool.  Each year I forget what a perfect exercise swimming is.  Man does it make the body feel great. 

Swimming is a great exercise. My only problem is I don’t really like swimming in a pool. So I wait until summer so I can swim in the lake. But pool, lake or ocean, swimming is definitely one of the better ones.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

bigmtn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 06, 2019, 12:14:17 PM »
We have two moths of down time

flights from PDX to OGG : $300 roundtrip... Why wait till Feb? haha

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: December 10, 2019, 05:58:08 AM »
When I picked up my new wing a Windance they loaned me the 4'3 F-One Pocket board.  That one is 21.1 Liters.  We brought that to the pool yesterday and that is a really good size also.  When I am squatting on it and I leg push down hard and quick the board almost completely resists me at first so I can stand a good ways out of the water before it slowly goes under.  That may be really helpful.  It looks like Tituan (pro kid) above is using the slightly smaller 3'11 Pocket which is the 18.9 liter version.  That is more similar to our smaller Dwarfcraft board (which feels great).  I am going to bring the larger 25 liter Dwarfcraft again and see how that feels now that I have a little more practice.  We still need to figure out a slightly smaller board for Chan. 

As a side bonus, this is super fun and is amazing balance practice.  We had 3 people join us yesterday and they really seemed to like it. 

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #69 on: December 14, 2019, 03:46:51 AM »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #70 on: December 14, 2019, 05:43:34 AM »
That is a great video.  That is the depth I am at with the small Dwarfcraft and the F-One 4'3.  It took me a few tries (where I was way off) to find the right volume board but I am pretty sure that these will do it.  Getting on and in the straps is feeling pretty comfortable now in the pool. I mounted some straps on the larger 25 liter Dwarfcraft and I am going to see if that one will be possible today.  It is crazy how a tiny bit of volume changes things so much.  The 19 Liter Dwarfcraft is very easy to get on and control with no drama.  It is stable and mellow underwater.  The 21 Liter F-One that I tried was still managebale but it is much more twitchy like what the guy in the video is experiencing.  The 25 liter Dwarfcraft seemed like too much work but I will see if the straps help tame it.  I can't wait to get back at it in real conditions.

The guy in the vid is on the 4'2 26 liter F-One Rocket.  I asked him his weight :).
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 06:20:15 AM by Admin »

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #71 on: December 14, 2019, 09:27:31 AM »
.... ask him also about the straps?   The only F-One Rocket I see with inserts is some fancy, Orange carbon job for $2k. (?!)

BUT... he's doing exactly what I need to do. At least it is widely achievable.

Jim

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: December 14, 2019, 09:32:36 AM »
Those would be stick-on inserts.  I saw that the F-One pro kids were using this same board earlier and they had just used stick-ons.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #73 on: December 14, 2019, 10:20:15 AM »
Thanks, Boss...   Ya, I opened it again (not a subscriber) and enlarged it as he brought the board closer —stop— you can see it was some sort of DIY.   Note: the rear strap is offset to Port.  I assume the C/L was somehow ocupado.  But, it works!
Thanks.

Jim

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: December 14, 2019, 11:15:44 AM »
This guy responded that he is 6’2” 185 lbs.  That is all making sense.  He is 15 lbs heavier than me so I imagine we are feeling pretty similar.  Good to know. 

Here is that same vid but on YouTube for better viewing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQnp8LxIiFU
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 02:07:12 AM by Admin »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal