Author Topic: The Slingshot High Roller Project  (Read 74053 times)

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: The Slingshot High Roller Project
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2019, 04:05:02 AM »
I played with my little board for the first time yesterday. It came out 5’1 x 25 80 liters. A pro could SUP with it.

I installed a handle, but removed it. I can wrap my arm around it.

Played in the river with it, waiting on a storm to make enough wind to give it a go. Storm didn’t cooperate.

First challenge was how to mount it. Could not throw my leg over the back with my leash attached to the back of my harness. Had to throw my leg over the front. That was weird and challenging.

Board sinks a few inches. Once I got to the knee start position and wing in my hand, the forward speed was so good, it came up high and dry and felt like it would be easy to stand and ride with real wind. It was blowing 8. This is small enough for me. I know I can get home on it. I can surface ride a short bit, should a big wind hole hit. Friday looks good to ride it.

GL

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2019, 05:58:44 AM »
Admin, I have 51 litre Slingshot Skywalker foilboard that use for light wind kiting. I installed an NSI glue on pad that lets you attach a foam foothook. I did this because it allows me to keep the board attached to my feet sideways while starting. Once up, I am strapless and not using the hook. I wonder if you did this, you could have the board attached to your feet sideways while flying the wing and then slowly tip the board down until you are standing on it submerged. The front hook should keep the board from wandering out from under you. I have not tried it with the wing yet. I was planning to after I saw this post but it is to cold here now. Just a thought I had not sure if it would work winging but worked great starting the large board kiting.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2019, 07:41:37 AM »
Yes!  I want to learn that way as well once I get front footstraps on these boards.  I plan to do that as soon as I know where they might go.  I love front footstraps.  I spent a couple of minutes trying that (conventional waterstart) without footstraps yesterday and unsurprisingly it was a no go.  Nothing to hold the board in place.  It seemed like it would work with straps though.  I think that the sink start will be more reliable once mastered and will be possible in lighter winds as well.  That will take some time :)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 08:03:48 AM by Admin »

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2019, 09:49:19 AM »
I played with my little board for the first time yesterday. It came out 5’1 x 25 80 liters. A pro could SUP with it.

Dwight,
How much does it weigh in at? How does weight compare to your 5’6” , 102 liter board? Thanks!

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2019, 10:11:22 AM »
Dwight,
How much does it weigh in at? How does weight compare to your 5’6” , 102 liter board? Thanks!

The 5’1 was 10.5 lbs before pad.  Never weighed the 5’6

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2019, 03:24:48 PM »

The 5’1 was 10.5 lbs before pad.  Never weighed the 5’6

Thanks. No idea how small I want to go on the next board. I’ll be very interested to see how the 80L board works out for you

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2019, 03:31:28 PM »
Dibs on any of DW’s experimenting boards he decides to sell!  ;D
I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:
   4' 27L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4’5” 34L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4'11" 60L Armstrong Wing/Sup

Foils: Armstrong HA525, HS625, HA725, HA925, HS1050, HA1125, HS1250, HA1325
Wings: BRM 2M & 3M, FreeWing Nitro 4M, OR 5M & 7M Glide

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2019, 05:04:45 PM »
I have not tried it with the wing yet. I was planning to after I saw this post but it is to cold here now. Just a thought I had not sure if it would work winging but worked great starting the large board kiting.

It's too cold here too, but that didn't stop Admin from going out and flopping around in nasty east wind. I stood on the beach and watched for a while. Said "Maui" and bailed for a beer and some Buffalo wings in a nice warm restaurant on the river--The Lunch Of Weenies.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2019, 02:46:13 AM »
It's too cold here too, but that didn't stop Admin from going out and flopping around in nasty east wind. I stood on the beach and watched for a while. Said "Maui" and bailed for a beer and some Buffalo wings in a nice warm restaurant on the river--The Lunch Of Weenies.

The calendar is not on my side here and I am not ready to put this down yet.  I am still hoping for a few more days (or at least a second day) of flailing before the weather says "your done".  I don't mind cruising on the big board when it is colder because that is a mostly dry affair but this water start means submerged water time and even if the mind is willing I need a little higher temps for the parts to cooperate :)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2019, 04:15:42 AM »
Here is great example of the classic style.  The rider wrote:

Same day and setup as the other day. This is similar to the normal Water start you know from Windsurf and Kitesurf, I only manage to do it when there is a lot of wind. I only make the water start like this when I just crashed and I'm still in the foot straps with plenty of power in the Wing. Here you really need to push in the Foil-Rail to have enough resistance and power up the wing.

Setup:

5,3 Catch 34L

Gong Wing 5M

Allvator 65cm M

18-25Knots

https://www.facebook.com/moritzmauchg103/videos/10218655281360606/

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2019, 04:18:59 AM »
Here is the same setup with the sink style.  He wrote:  Basically I sit on the board with the Wing in one hand. I push the board under the water and squad on it. I put pressure on the board and stand up (underwater), ounce I'm stable, I bring the Wing over my head and power it up. Slowly the board pops out of the water, I put the front foot into the straps and off I go;) .   I put a bit of back pressure on the back leg, so the nose can find its way to the surface, it definitely help in strong wind and good balance you can probably go quite low on volume, but I felt like 33L is a good balance for me.

https://www.facebook.com/moritzmauchg103/videos/10218632393028412/
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 04:23:18 AM by Admin »

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2019, 04:31:57 AM »
One question I have about all this rush to smaller board volume/length/weight. Are you all consistent now with harder moves/transitions like upwind tacks heelside-to-toeside and toeside-to-heelside, fully luffed downwind/surf riding, backwinded riding, small jumps, extended one hand riding, jibe with clew side hold, riding significantly under or over powered, etc?

I see guys like Patrice Guénolé at Gong or Philippe Caner at Horue, or Alan Cadiz, doing some amazing freestyle stuff on pretty decent size floaty boards. Seems like you’d want to get pretty competent before jumping to a full blown sinker or even a “knee start semi sinker”.  I started with a  5’8” 114 L board (78ish kg).  I think I’d like to go a little smaller but I’m definitely not in a rush to do so before getting a lot better first, and even then I don’t think I would be in rush to get rid of the larger board.

(Not to sound harsh but it sort of reminds me of the  “ole guys” with money chasing every latest technology upgrade they see being ridden by sponsored kids, or seriously talented middle age guys, who could probably ride crappy junk at a higher skill level than said average “ole guys” [myself included] might ever achieve. Of course, far better to be an ole guy pining for a tiny wing board than sitting at home staring at the tube, or as Billy Joel would say, polishing the fender!)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 04:35:48 AM by obxDave »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2019, 05:20:43 AM »
Hi OBX,

Good points but I look at it very differently. 

We started talking about waterstarts here before we had seen anyone doing them or before we had seen anyone riding any boards other than large sup foilboards.  This is a natural and in my mind it will definitely be a part of the sport for most riders.  To me this seems like it will viewed as a basic beginner-moving-to-intermediate move at a later date just like it is with windsurfing and kiting.

The knee start with a large board is great for light wind or flat water but in Gorge swell and higher wind it is not as fun.  Knee starting on a small board is certainly doable, but at that point it seems like going all the way to a waterstart will be more functional in a wider variety of conditions. 

I also don't question that all of us here given a little time will work out tacks, jibes, transitions, one hand luffing, downwind carving, chop hops, etc.  Those are basic intermediate moves in all watersports.  I can't say with certainty that we will get there but I would be disappointed if we don't.  We are brand new foilers and obviously brand new wing foilers.  There is a ton still to learn.  We know that all of this will take time.  That is what the second season will be for :)  The waterstart seems like a really cool part of that to me. 

I have been talking to a few of the guys who have the waterstart down and they have all said that it took a while to learn.  They have all said that getting the volume right is critical.  I am sure there will be some weight to volume suggestions in the future but right now there are none and that means experimenting. 

« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 09:34:35 AM by Admin »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2019, 12:46:20 PM »
So I rode the 5’1 today with the 5m. Wind was a sketchy 10-17 for trying the little board.

The only real challenge with the board, is the balance climbing on it, then dealing with the balance of something so short and sunk 4 to 5 inches underwater. The nose can go down and you fall off the front, or the side rolls, and you fall off the side. You need about 2 seconds of balance on it to grab the wing and get to the handles. Once you’ve got the handles, everything becomes easy. Getting to my feet is only slightly harder due to the short length.

Once standing, you’re set. It pops onto to foil with one flick of the wrist. Just amazing how quick and drag free it feels. I can even switch feet skimming the water without fear of falling.

It’s probably best for 4.2m conditions or steady 5m wind. It’s likely to be the board Jacky uses everyday in any wind. I guess I need to hurry and make her one.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2019, 01:31:05 PM »
Butt Cruising does NOT sound okay.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal