Author Topic: Prototyping and ideas for wing harness  (Read 31537 times)

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Prototyping and ideas for wing harness
« on: October 28, 2019, 07:15:03 AM »
I picked up a dakine maniac harness hook and put it on my waist belt. I have some wind coming in tonight so going to give it a try. I know it's not going to be much support but first stage of development. I figure minimalist design needed since we're not needing the harness other than long reaches up wind. Ideas now than welcomed, I think it'll take the big brands some time to catch up to what is needed. I couldn't post a pic but the hook slides onto the waist leash and I hope there Velcro will hold.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Prototyping and ideas for wing harness
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2019, 08:27:43 AM »
Great idea

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2019, 10:38:55 AM »
Harnesses are pretty sturdy devices. I doubt your velcro will hold so don't rely on it for both the harness and the leash or you might be kind of lonely out in the water.

On the other hand, I just sewed the major components of a DaKine harness onto my impact vest and turned it into a 25-pound foiling prevention device, so what the fuck do I know?
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2019, 02:10:23 PM »
Describe your waistbelt, FK... 

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2019, 02:15:57 PM »
I did some tests and not a budge from the Velcro, just need some water time

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2019, 02:24:39 PM »
It's just the standard Axis waist belt. Velcro is designed to come apart when pulled away from it's base but when tensioned with a pull vertical to the base, a really small piece will stay connected. Back in testing release systems for kite gear, all the Velcro stuff that had a tab, had to have the tab pulled to undo the Velcro and even at that, it still wouldn't release if the backing had some Velcro. Notice no more oh shit handles on bars held with Velcro?

I slid the hook so it's opposite of the leash cord. There's actually a little different think material there so the hook fits tight. Just a preliminary design tho. If this works and no discomfort then great but I might need to sew a little back support to keep from digging into me but then again the leash belt has pretty good padding. Wind hopefully will kick in at sun set so otherwise tomorrow wind is on for sure.

flkiter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2019, 04:44:57 PM »
Initial tests went well. No slippage of the hook and wind was about 8 mph at most so was able to go up wind not on foil. Hopefully 15 knots tomorrow for some real testing

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2019, 06:18:56 AM »
Cool, Fl...   Velcro is pretty secure.  I cannot think of a leash that does not use the ole' 'Fish in Aligator Jaw' design.  You just need to make an adjustable section to accommodate last night's dinner.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal