Author Topic: I should have taken French  (Read 54850 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
I should have taken French
« on: October 28, 2019, 02:40:00 AM »
Instead I can get directions to a bathroom in Barcelona (and sometimes order a beer).  Someone please help me out and tell me what he is saying about my next board :).

https://youtu.be/x31v6R289Pw?t=421

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: I should have taken French
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2019, 03:11:09 AM »
Quickly and roughly.
 Boards made specifically for wings. Slightly different volume distribution etc. Handle in the bottom.
Sizes
5'10x27 100L
5'4x27 82L
5'4x23 70L
5'0x22 57L
 The last one is a prototype 4'2x19 25-30L. He didn't sound too sure. Expert board and you need to water start. Very light and manouverable once you do get up.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2019, 03:18:00 AM »
The last one is a prototype 4'2x19 25-30L. He didn't sound too sure. Expert board and you need to water start. Very light and manouverable once you do get up.

Thanks a lot!  That is looking like the one. 

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2019, 03:36:39 AM »
That one is just a proto and not in production yet. Dont think he says when it will be in production.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2019, 04:01:07 AM »
How about the video that auto plays after it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgxdokEjdOg

Does he say anything about design changes to the 2020 version of the Swing?

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2019, 04:11:14 AM »
That one is just a proto and not in production yet. Dont think he says when it will be in production.

That is OK. As long as they get it going by Feb we should be fine :).  I have a few months of work to do before travel starts.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2019, 04:20:10 AM »
I’m designing my wing board now. I’m imagining the smallest windsurf wave board I’m OK schlooging. 82 liters at my weight. Drop the rig weight and 75 liters should be OK for getting home if the wind shuts off.

So looking at what F-one offers, that 70 liter model should be easy for you Admin. I also think knee starts should be possible with my volume guesses.

Give me two weeks and I’ll know if my guess is right.

5'10x27 100L
5'4x27 82L
5'4x23 70L
5'0x22 57L

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2019, 04:31:39 AM »
Let me bust your bubble a bit on the 4’2 x 19

19 wide won’t turn a big front wing. Big wings track and fight you. All natural instincts flowing into turns go to crap. So it’s a small front wing only size. Big wings feel completely different on a wider board. You’d never know!

I personally don’t like super short. They do weird shit. They yaw at high speed. You even feel a weird twisting delay sometimes in turns. Once you’ve experienced this, you begin to see it in Instagram videos of guys on super short boards. You have to know it, to see it. It’s so subtle. My guess is two things are happening. Mast twist is felt more on a super short board. Then at high speed, an amplifying oscillation is happening that you feel. So 4’8-4’9 is my sweet spot for short, but not weird, just easy, and nice tracking too.

Sometimes, guys with less skill pickup on things pros don’t feel.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2019, 04:41:05 AM »
I am stoked to hear what you find out DW.  I see it as two different boards.  A surface kneestart board for ultra light and inconsistent days and a really minimal submerged waterstart setup for good conditions.  There are a lot of locations here where the fun water is all within a quarter mile of shore.  On reasonably steady days it seems like minimal board will be awesome for that.  Same for relatively close in wave breaks.  Being able to use a super light, zero excess board would be the icing on this already tasty cake.  PS:  I am not tied in to 4'2 or a specific volume but it does seem like once you are into the 50's you are going to be talking about a surface or near surface knee start.  I actually think that is going to be harder long term than a submerged waterstart.  I know that the waterstart will be painful to learn but once we have it I think it will be great. 
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 04:46:56 AM by Admin »

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2019, 05:16:17 AM »
How about the video that auto plays after it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgxdokEjdOg

Does he say anything about design changes to the 2020 version of the Swing?

He doesn't mention anything in particular that is new. A lot of development normal sales bla bla.
 They really wanted a light wing that flies easily. Big front bladder that is stiff,bonus was easier water starts. Very deep shape. You can see the material joining the central strut with the wing. Not too many handles or extra stuff that would have made it heavier. Points to attatch harness if you want. It's a 5m he has and you can see how easily it flies. They are bringing out a 6.
 What you say about the water start being difficult to learn but ok once you get it he says as well. Like anything really!

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2019, 06:56:47 AM »
Admin, You’re going to have lots of fun burning through money to find your perfect length  ;D :D

I built for a GoFoil team member. He used to ride 3’11 all the time. Today he rides 4’5.

I wonder if the super short boards allow us to snap turns tighter than the foil can handle, so mast twist kicks in. Getting that weird delay. The new chopped tail craze may be the solution.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2019, 08:59:09 AM »
Admin, You’re going to have lots of fun burning through money to find your perfect length  ;D :D

I wonder what that will be like :).  I have conditioned Chan for years.  After the pump track fiasco it all seems reasonable.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2019, 02:09:25 AM »
I’m designing my wing board now. I’m imagining the smallest windsurf wave board I’m OK schlooging. 82 liters at my weight. Drop the rig weight and 75 liters should be OK for getting home if the wind shuts off.  Give me two weeks and I’ll know if my guess is right.

What dimensions are you going to try?

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2019, 03:19:54 AM »
What dimensions are you going to try?

5’2 x 25

It should feel like a 4’11 prone board. That’s based on the NOSE to mast dimension being the same as a 5’2 wing board.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 03:27:09 AM by Dwight (DW) »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2019, 03:27:01 AM »
Nice.  Stoked to hear how that works out.  Any idea on thickness?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal