Author Topic: WingFoiling downwind bumps is easier than I thought- super stoked!  (Read 36954 times)

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
After a week of weak up and down wind I scored a couple hours of near 20 mph wind.  Did a short solo downwind run, parking the wing in neutral for much of the run and was able to ride bumps most of the way. Total blast and way easier than I guessed it would be. 

The whole ocean is a surf spot now, the wingding gives everyone enough power to get up on the foil and ride.

I biked up to the jump point with my 7m, i didn't trust that the wind would hold and was surprised to see it had increased.  As soon as my back hand grabbed the handle I knew I was overpowered and barely pulled down to get up on the foil and be flying.

For some reason I thought riding the bumps heelside would be easier.  Turns out I had an easier time toe side holding the wing above and across my body, pulling down to catch a bit of wind if I went to far on the shoulder or in the flats.

I've been failing to downwind bump foil for almost 3 years, and now all the pieces of the puzzle have finally fallen into place.  I'm beyond stoked!   ;D
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: WingFoiling downwind bumps is easier than I thought- super stoked!
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2019, 11:45:07 AM »
Keep us posted man.

I'm sure a lot of us are curious to see how low of a windspeed you can do this in.

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2019, 12:05:59 PM »
Will do.

At 200 pounds with a gong 7m 15mph is the low end limit for me.  Less than that and no matter how hard I try I can't get flying.   That wing is a beast, feels noticeably heavy and powerful.  I would love to try a bare bones lightly built 9m in 10-15mph wind and some long period rollers...

After the dw run I went back out with the 5m swing, night and day difference in power and light weight, had enough power and wind to go out and back a couple times.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2019, 07:59:36 PM »
F-one needs to build some big wings. Their design is very efficient. I hate their wobbly handles but that can be overcome. If they come out with an 8 or 9 I'll buy one in a heartbeat. I don't give a shit what they charge for it. 6m is kind of interesting, but really, I don't need to fill gaps, I need a big fucking wing.

Oh, and congratulations. I did kind of the same thing today and was shocked at how easy it is with a wing. I've been so fricken' chicken' it makes me want to puke. Turn downwind and go. How hard is that?
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2019, 08:47:27 PM »
F-one needs to build some big wings. Their design is very efficient. I hate their wobbly handles but that can be overcome. If they come out with an 8 or 9 I'll buy one in a heartbeat. I don't give a shit what they charge for it. 6m is kind of interesting, but really, I don't need to fill gaps, I need a big fucking wing.

Oh, and congratulations. I did kind of the same thing today and was shocked at how easy it is with a wing. I've been so fricken' chicken' it makes me want to puke. Turn downwind and go. How hard is that?

I agree, if f-one made a big wing I'd be camped out on their doorstep waiting to get one.  Oh, and your posts are killing me lately, too funny!

beached

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2019, 03:55:30 AM »
clay, as i'm your size, curious as to what size is your board and foil wing? i've only been out once on my 5m wing with a 1600 sq cm foil wing and 6'2" board and wasn't close to getting up on foil...downwind or otherwise. but winds were < 15 mph.

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2019, 02:21:42 PM »
clay, as i'm your size, curious as to what size is your board and foil wing? i've only been out once on my 5m wing with a 1600 sq cm foil wing and 6'2" board and wasn't close to getting up on foil...downwind or otherwise. but winds were < 15 mph.
I wouldn't be anywhere close to flying with that setup in sub 15mph wind.  I can't fly period in less than 15 (hello 9m?).  I tried a 1700 wing yesterday in wind that was barely 15 and couldn't fly, swapped for a 2400 and even though it took a bit of work to get it up I could fly.  I  also tried my smaller 7'10"x30x135L board, heels into the wind I was okay, toes into the wind was a real struggle on the lower volume  board and light wind.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2019, 03:05:51 PM »
Great report Clay.  I had heard through the grapevine (aka Jeff Clark) that you had a downwinding breakthrough.

I haven't pulled the trigger yet.  Likely to be a 5M F-One.  Unless a bigger one pops up.

When I read about people struggling with small Foils (e.g. hydrofoil wings) I get frustrated.  I have been trying to convince people to ride bigger and bigger hydro wings.  It solves all the problems until you get really good.  I think it applies to trying to WindWing as well. 

My objective is to fly the biggest, most efficient front wing on the smallest possible board with a tiny tail.  If / when I get the GL210 flying in 10+ foot surf no one can say that is TOO big a wing ...... unless maybe you are a 120 lbs wet.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2019, 07:39:49 PM »
I probably could have used my 3M wing and 1020 wing today. East wind at Stevenson was blowing solid 30 with some gusts that nearly blew me off my feet. I looked at it for a long while and said "nope". It wasn't that the wind was so strong, it's that East wind in the Gorge is so flukey. The lulls were nutty. I would have gone on the 4M and probably would have had a blast, but my shoulder has been behaving really well lately. I know when that happens I have a tendency to do stupid stuff. Tomorrow is supposed to be strong, clean westerlies. I don't want to miss that. I'm violating one of my sacred rules. Take the wind you've got. But that's OK.

For what it's worth, I'm finding I can get up and stay up with either the F-One or Duotone 5M in about the same wind with my 1020 Axis. I need 15 with gusts above 20. Once I'm up I can stay up unless there are big lulls. When I hit a lull I drab the wing by the handle, turn downwind and pump like hell. If I catch a swell I can stay up until the wind comes back, if not, then I'm doomed. If I come back down and the wind catches me with the wing behind me it takes me right off the board.

The 4M is good from 20 up, depending on how gusty it is. When it gets much above 30 I'm on the 3M, which is super fun but prone to spectacular crashes.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2019, 05:08:30 AM »
I was sharing your stoke yesterday, Clay.  Downwind is starting to come together for me and, what a treat!  Crazy the minor bumps that you can pick up on the foil. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal