Author Topic: Removing stuck go foil adapter  (Read 26607 times)

sea_mode

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Removing stuck go foil adapter
« on: October 27, 2019, 10:48:44 AM »
Just wanted to hear methodologies for removing go foil adapters. I got a new carbon one and want to switch out. I’ve seen the wood method

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hLzVibT8P_A

But checking to hear about anything else. I put the water based wd-40 on it, but it’s been a few months so I’m expecting a fight.

fatfish

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Removing stuck go foil adapter
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2019, 12:04:52 PM »
I remove my adapter after each use with a whack from a mallet I carry around.  One whack and it comes off easy.

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2019, 04:36:39 PM »
That wood method is a solid technique, my experience is that banging like that will eventually get it off, longer wood bigger "hammer" it will come off.  I got my adapter off just by banging with a mallet after soaking in oil (Kroll or PB blaster).

Here's a video and write up I did on removing a stuck wing:
https://clayisland.com/separate-stuck-foil-wing-electrolysis/
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2019, 04:40:31 PM »
Also this grease helps as a preventative measure:
https://www.green-oil.net/Ecogrease.html
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2019, 05:06:02 PM »
The best grease I've found for lubricating the pegs on a goFoil is high viscosity silicone lube made for lubricating the rubber of electric windows. You can get it at any auto parts store. It has the added benefit of saving the electric motor of your windows when they start to get a little sluggish. The rubber starts getting sticky long before the motor actually dies. Since it's silicone it's not water-soluble--at all. Put it on once, wipe it all off so it won't attract dirt and grit, and you're done. For keeps as far as I can tell. My wings went from multiple whacks to one firm whack with a soft rubber mallet. Some of my older GoFoil wings are extremely tight since they weren't part of a set.

I have taken off some goFoil wings that were decidedly not going to come off with beating on them. I made a screw jack with one end that hooks onto the wing on both sides of the fuselage with an inch wide, hard rubber surface. The other end wraps around the fuselage, bearing against the top of the fuselage with the wrap using the mast as a stop. The screw is just a foot or so of threaded ready rod with nuts and washers. You crank out the nuts until the wing pops off. I'd include a picture but I can't find the damned thing. I've only used it twice. I should have painted it fluorescent orange. There are larger tools lost in my shop that I haven't found in years of looking.  If you really need a serious tool for getting a wing off I can do a drawing, it's not that hard to make. Mine is plasma cut and welded, but it could be done more simply. I've got the toys, might as well use them.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 05:49:42 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2019, 05:57:43 PM »
I didn't watch the video at first so I didn't realize they were talking about getting adapters off. That would obviously work though starting the leverage so far out on the fuselage might break it off. I use a hydraulic press. I made a tool to get the axis adapters off, but the goFoils I put in the press with the mast going down between the girder legs, block the adapter in place. Put hardwood legs tight on either side of the mast pressing against the fuselage with a bridge across them and just press them out. It would take ten minutes to make a tool to do this--screw the bridge to the hardwood legs--but I thought it was a one time deal. So far I've done three.

I haven't had that many problems myself, but a lot of folks in Hood River know that I have the proper toys for silly stuff like this.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 06:02:38 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal