Author Topic: Show us your GoPro mounts for wingfoiling (Hero 8 etc.)  (Read 67315 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Show us your GoPro mounts for wingfoiling (Hero 8 etc.)
« on: October 25, 2019, 02:32:50 AM »
I have a new GoPro Hero 8 and I took it out for a little test run yesterday clipped to a baseball cap.  The image quality is great and so far I am loving the camera but I am not digging the head mount.  Certainly far from ideal for winging.  I know that a lot of you have gotten creative with various mounts for SUP, Foil and Wing.  Please post up some images of your setups.  Thanks!

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Re: Show us your GoPro mounts for wingfoiling (Hero 8 etc.)
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2019, 05:54:34 AM »
I have been trying to figure out a view from the wing's perspective (on the wing)...  Any thoughts?

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2019, 06:00:30 AM »
I am lazy so I use mouth mount most of the time. But interesting to see what others use for wing foiling. I am afraid I am personally not a fan of any options that distract from the sport part itself.
Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2019, 06:32:29 AM »
Gzas,  You must have good lungs and clear nasal passages. ' Pretty sure, I could not keep my mouth closed.

Here's perhaps the easiest, passive view ...courtesy, with standard internet permission, of the 'Breeze'.

https://www.seabreeze.com.au/img/photos/stand_up_paddle/15742738.jpg

Jim

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2019, 06:45:03 AM »
Duotones would be easy--there's a boom. The F-0ne or any handle/strut type would also be easy with my fake boom. Get a piece of paddle shaft and zip tie it to the first two handles with as much extension past the handles as you like. Clamp on, done.

Yes, the headmount didn't look viable. Not just dorky, unstable. The other alternative is Creek's hat mount but you'd need to wear a kook hat for that to really work unless you're prepared to sacrifice your camera frequently to the style gods. 
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2019, 08:20:46 AM »
Stability won't be a problem.  Hypersmooth 2 is now available on all formats.  On high (not even with the Boost enabled) it is like a great gimbal.  The stuff I shot yesterday was silky smooth.  The problem with head and wing mounts is that the footage is dreadfully boring.  You get no sense of flight.  I think a board mount is what I am after.  Anyone worked something out there (other than the stock GoPro board mount)?  Something that gets a little distance?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 10:06:48 AM by Admin »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2019, 10:33:21 AM »
You want good video, give a real camera to Chan and go do jibes around her sitting in the water.

Haha

I hate the way GoPro wide angle lenses ruin every shot.

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2019, 11:15:55 AM »
I agree with Dwight, trading off filming each other is the simplest way to get usable footage, although it might bring up an issue of one of you having more video skills than the other.

For me all the onboard, soloshot, drone stuff takes a lot of time and practice, weeding through tons of useless footage to find some watchable stuff.

This is my mount, takes me a lot of effort, when I score something good it's all worth it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peXkaxYl6mI
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

supkailua

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2019, 12:28:08 PM »
It would be good in this thread if we can see some video footage from different mounts to see what we like best.

I just purchased the helmet strap mount and clip mount from Amazon. I am going to try it on my helmet and perhaps clipped to my harness or something else.

I guess another advantage to having a boom is being about to mount the GoPro on it for some decent shots.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2019, 01:19:34 PM »
Sk,  There's a lot of testing ahead...  Then the big letdown: post-production.  You have to be dedicated.

Clay - that was good ...but, a lotta work.  That offset position gives a good view.  I believe Piros had used a 'rearview' rig also.
Is one of your cams a Panasonic bullet? 

There's a Naish rider, JB, that attaches a cam to near the head of his SUP paddle.  He posts a bunch.  There's also some sort of tracking display program he is able to enter.  (the first few seconds may make you seasick)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Hd8Are0TFw

Jim

obxDave

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2019, 05:24:57 PM »
This is Horst Sergio wing foiling with a wizmount

https://youtu.be/hN5v7c6QpOk

This is a hard core sports “follow drone” that I plan on trying out for kite and wing foiling. I’ve tested it with a boat but not foiling yet

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2019, 07:22:58 PM »
Wing foiling is prime for a mount that won’t work for other foil sports. Rear pole mount. Put a 3’ pole mounted at a 30° - 45° angle up off the tail and be done.

Please no head or wing mounts. I’m tired of seeing 5 seconds of a good angle before it’s back to your calf or feet and then the sky again lol.

The wing mount would be too hard to stabilize as far as rotation. (The GoPro does great on bounce but won’t auto correct the level of the horizon.)

The only other way i could see is is a front mount like Clay used to do. While I applaud the Gilligan’s Island approach, read on for my more modern take if you care.

My best idea? Insta360x or GoPro360 in a housing on a pole in front of the board. Shoot you flying and them pan around to anything you want to see. A serious spring mount would keep you from killing your self. Clay, when are you getting a welder buddy to do that and get Jeff to glass a socket into the front of your boards for it? A section of paddle shaft would make a great holder for a piece of pipe with a spring welded to it and then a metal socket for the selfie pole. I’m counting on you my man! You’ve had the best video on here other than solo shots when they work.

But for ease of use, the rear angle will be best and safest I’ll bet.

What y’all think? I’m learning to weld this winter I think or Pono, get busy. ;)

Hope this didn’t come off as too salty, I’m coming in hot from work and running fast lol.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 07:24:34 PM by surfcowboy »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2019, 07:57:47 PM »
I just gave away all my gopro stuff, including a bunch of mounts that would have worked perfectly. I made several rear or front angled mounts with RAM connectors, carbon tubes, and the appropriate shock cord bracing to keep it where it's wanted. Not hard to do.

I also did a waist plate RAM mount that enabled a high over the shoulder angle. Good stuff, but all gone--I think I gave it all to Joel Yang, or maybe it was Rod Parmenter. I came to realize that shooting video means editing, and I hate editing. Unmanaged ADHD. I have a big bottle of Concerta in my desk drawer that hasn't been opened since 2014 when I picked it up from the pharmacy. The only things I can sit still for are reading, writing code, and building stuff. For some reason, I can weld aluminum all day--just fascinating. I get bored with steel.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 07:59:42 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2019, 02:57:15 AM »
I never liked that ultra wide fisheye GoPro look either.  It is disorienting and a little irritating.  You kind of sense that something cool is going on but you can't quite  attach to it.  The Hero 8 has a linear and a narrow view.  Both remove all of the fisheye distortion but they are too narrow for self-filming (which was not my real goal).  That is fine.  I agree with you guys that this may be limited to doing pass by's and follow stuff.  My hope was that with a head mount I could follow Chan, Bill (etc) and get some great footage.  They are both killing it now and it would be fun to  get some footage of them putting the icing on the cake as they foil away from these early flying transitions.  The problem is that the wing becomes the only star with a head mount and every wing and leash motion is super distracting because they dominate so much of the frame when head mounted. 

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2019, 08:49:39 AM »
Piros shows how it's done. 360 is the future. Frame it after you shoot.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4HqpwvA2Y8/?igshid=bipvfee2rk0l

Quality is still coming up but the new ones are pretty great.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal