Author Topic: Help with which Wing to buy  (Read 44022 times)

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Help with which Wing to buy
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2019, 08:59:06 AM »

I was wondering if someone would mention Gong. Has anyone used both Gong and F-One?

I have. The Gong is well balanced. It doesn’t do the side to side wobble. The handles are comfortable. So it’s better than a lot of wings, from the big brands.

F-one is by far the best, if you don’t mind that it also comes with the highest price tag in the industry.

Thanks Dwight
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

Adolfo

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2019, 06:38:04 AM »
I’m just writing to say thank you.
Following your advice, I bought the F-One 5.0. It arrived a couple of weeks ago, but only this weekend we had some decent wind to give it a try.
24 knots gusting to 30 on Thursday, 25 to 27 on Friday, 15 to 20 on Saturday and 12 to 15 on Sunday, so I was able to use the wing in every condition.
It worked exactly as I expected from what you told me:
-   The F-One is very stable, compared to the Duotone. I had a knee surgery this year and so I can’t do the kneeling start yet. I have to stand on the board and then rise the wing, and it is way easier to do it with a stable wing than with one that swings like crazy  from one side to the other.
-   It’s has a weightless feel that is very nice.
-   Wind range is huge, but the fluttering gets a bit uncomfortable when riding above 22 / 23 knots.
-   Packing size is great and the backpack is big enough to hold the wing + pump. Much more comfortable than the long bag with no space for the pump of the Duotone. It’s nice to walk to the beach holding the board assembled with the foil with both hands, with the backpack on your shoulders.
-   Didn’t like the handles. I like better the control that the solid boom gives, mostly when jibbing. When jibbing with the Duotone boom you can move your front hand a little backwards, and go into the turn with power holding the wing with one hand. Then just twist your forearm and the wing is facing the other way and you are out of the turn with speed. With the handles you can’t (or I can’t) do that. As soon as you let the back hand go, the wing loses all its power and you depend on your initial speed or a bump or pumping to keep the board foiling through the turn while you change hands and can sheet in again.
As usually happens decisions, this was a compromise, but I’m very happy with your advice and my choice.
Thanks a lot!!
Starboard 12'2 x 26
Naish Javelin 14 x 26
Naish Nalu 9'6 x 28
Starboard Hypernut 7'4 x 30 + foil
Starboard All Star 12'6 x 26

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2019, 07:04:59 AM »
Don’t put the pump inside the bag! It will wear a hole in the fragile canopy. Use the bungee loops on the outside of the bag.

Same with the Duotone. Never put the boom inside the bag.

Adolfo

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2019, 08:39:16 AM »
Hi Dwight.
Thanks for the advice.
But I’m curious: do you think the material of the canopy of the wing is different from the one we have on kites? It looks very similar to me.
I’ve being putting pumps and bars inside kite bags for 19 years, and never had any problem (starting with the little hand pump on the mesh bag of a Naish AR 5!). I keep my kites for several seasons and never saw any damage or even wear on them.
I assumed the holds on the outside of the bags were for when you don’t have space on the inside if the kite was poorly packed, or for wet bars.
But now I don’t know. I rather have my pump sand free and tangle free on the inside of the bag, but not at the expense of any damage to the canopy.
Starboard 12'2 x 26
Naish Javelin 14 x 26
Naish Nalu 9'6 x 28
Starboard Hypernut 7'4 x 30 + foil
Starboard All Star 12'6 x 26

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2019, 01:21:05 PM »
Yes, its the same as our kites. I’ve seen lots of mystery pin holes in kite canopies. So I just avoid anything hard coming in contract. They do put neoprene over one pump connections to avoid canopy holes.....

If they wanted the pump inside the bags, they would not have the provisions for hanging it outside away from the paper thin canopy.

I made the comment because we’ve got so many new people who have never owned a kite.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 01:24:22 PM by Dwight (DW) »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal