Author Topic: Reminder UPS shipping to Canada  (Read 14749 times)

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
Reminder UPS shipping to Canada
« on: October 20, 2019, 11:05:51 AM »
Just a reminder for my fellow Canadians. I recently ordered a classic Curtis fin from Fins Unlimited and they offer only UPS shipping to Canada.
I had forgotten how bad is UPS for us. Not only did I pay $25 of shipping but also a surprise $35 of UPS brokerage fees.
In the past I always stayed away from UPS but had forgotten about it.
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Reminder UPS shipping to Canada
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2019, 12:16:42 PM »
I sort of feel the pain. Not as bad since no border fees - but often UPS is 4 times the cost or more - and we have standard United States Postal Service here - if the vendor would just choose USPS I'd be happy to pay shipping but often they only offer UPS 2nd Day( despite we have a UPS Ground Option to Alaska - Anchorage is a huge air freight hub - I think UPS just does "as space is available" on the planes and calls it UPS Ground).  It sucks.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Re: Reminder UPS shipping to Canada
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2019, 06:58:49 AM »
Luc,  I have been a shipper for ~40yrs. and crossing borders is really painful. (I used to carry my parts to DeHavilland in my car to save shipping)  I had a 6oz. plane part to send to France a couple of years ago: U$36. via airmail. I only used UPS in the early years, once cleaned up, FedEx Ground has been both cheaper and faster.  (I believe it was called a 'rubber rate card' in advertising - the big guys get all the discounts - we little guys make up for it.) 

I imported a 12' from OZ via ship that took over a month.  And, expected one invoice...  Naaaa!  That did not cover the last 200mi nor 'clearing customs'.  That last bit was nearly $200.  Shipping is a bitch.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal