Author Topic: Hypr Nalu Hawaii 14 ft gun: Bring a gun to a knife fight  (Read 93881 times)

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Hypr Nalu Hawaii 14 ft gun: Bring a gun to a knife fight
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2019, 09:19:56 AM »
If you are comfortable on your RS at 26", I'm convinced you'll be just as comfortable on the Hyper at 26.

After riding so many board designs in different conditions, and riding the same design on different size I'm pretty sure you're more confident than you let on. This board looks very promising, in fact, I just sent Ian at Hyper my current specs to make me one as well. Just finalizing details.

Please share your experience as soon as you get it.
Yeah, that’s my guess. I do have the 10-6 gun which is I think 27 7/8ths wide, and the 11-6 which is 28.5” wide. Both are FAR more stable than you’d expect. The 11-6 really is extraordinary stable for its width, and could even be used by a beginner if they are under about 75kgs. I tend to think that for a given design, every additional 1ft in length adds about the same in stability as an additional 3/4” in width. So that would mean that a 14ft version of the 11-6 Gun (which is pretty much what the 14 gun is) would feel approximately as stable as the 11-6 I have. Which would be fine. I’m around 80kg. If you are heavier and do long paddles in crazy messed-up conditions you might want an extra inch or two I guess. But it’s so much easier to get a technically good stroke with a 26” wide board than a 28” wide one, for most average-sized people.

But I’ll give you an honest assessment when it arrives. I’ve got mo connection to Hypr Nalu Hawaii, I’m just an ordinary customer like anyone else. And although I’m not a complete idiot on an ocean board, I’m nothing special at all in my abilities. I would classify myself as entirely average for a middle-aged amateur enthusiast who has a sedentary job.

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2019, 01:53:30 PM »
Old tandem windsurfer a friend gave me to do some work on. 4.8mX50cm.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2019, 01:19:58 AM »
Interesting. But although there might seem a resemblance from that shot, I’d bet that from other angles the two boards look very different.

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2019, 02:36:29 AM »
Yes it's nearly 16ft long and just under 20 inches wide. Must have had some epic wipeouts.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2019, 06:34:21 AM »
Holy crap, that’s something special for sure...

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2019, 06:55:14 AM »
I think it was made by Fanatic.

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2020, 02:17:49 PM »
Look around 0.55
Hope Dragons are optional even during Chinese New Year....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDWzB7zduOE
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2020, 12:29:10 AM »
There are no dragons on my double-carbon 14 or 11-6 guns. Just ask for them without. Some people love the dragons, but I prefer just to see the beautiful  materials and craftsmanship.

I’ll post a full review of the Hypr 14 gun when I’ve finished testing it: I’ve been ill for a while which has restricted time on water. But here is one of the wood versions being surfed recently at a local spot here is the UK.

https://fbwat.ch/1OxG1UFws3nUUg01

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2020, 07:26:45 AM »
Did I miss the usual full testing report on the Hypr Gun 14' ???;) :)
Blackfish Paddles

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2020, 08:59:17 AM »
Did I miss the usual full testing report on the Hypr Gun 14' ???;) :)
:) It will come when CV19 is over. I tried to take it to the beach a few days ago and a big Police van immediately drew up and told me that SUP was not "essential exercise". You could ride a bike, or run, or walk, but not paddle a SUP, according to them. The government restreictions in the UK do not actually say you can't SUP, so this is the police interpretation of the guidelines. But I was with my son so although I argued with them a bit, I didn't want to cause a big scene: I was already drawing a crowd as it was. The police sort of admitted that the only argument that they had was that "if people see you enjoying yourself then everyone else will want to do it" - which is not about me but about the actions of others - so maybe if I do it away from other people in inaccesiible places, and do it safely, then they might leave me alone.

And before you all get on my case: the UK government restrictions currently allow you to go outside and execise (with a guide of one hour a day), as long as you (a) are only with members of your household; (b) stay at least 6 feet away from anyone else, and (c) are doing it locally. There is NO law against any particular form of exercise, no matter what the police might argue. When the police stopped me, I was with my son, who I live with, I was far more than 6ft from anyone else, in a deserted area, and was just going to paddle about a bit to get my heart rate up, not engage in any dangerous actibity: cycling would probbaly be significantly more dangerous!

Anyhow, you'll get your review when I can paddle some more and hopefully get some footage. We had very high winds and driving rain for weeks here in the UK over the winter - it was crazy - and it wasn't good for filming.

But I can tell you that I just keep enjoying the board more and more (when I am allowed to).

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2020, 09:54:42 AM »
AT least you did not get arrested like in California.....
Blackfish Paddles

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2020, 04:18:16 AM »
True. There are two valid arguments here for stopping people going in the water (I am dismissing the danger one as nonsense since the statistics clearly show that surfing, swimming etc are not more dangerous than cycling, yet cycling is actively being encouraged). The first argument is that allowing people to go in the water attracts people to the local area and brings CV19 into these - often small - local communities. This is a good argument. Second, the coastguard and lifeboat crews argue that they are put at risk from catching covid in a rescue situation.

Well, the first problem could be solved by having a “locals-only” rule for water use. People not currently resident within a fairly small local circumference found using the water could be subject to stiff prosecution. The second problem could be dealt with by treating the population like adults and saying that there is no lifeboat/lifeguard cover, so you enter the water at your own risk. Let people decide for themselves what level of risk they will tolerate.

This covid situation might go on for a year or two. In fact it probably will. So unless the UK government wants to completely paralyse local coastal communities which often depend heavily upon sea use for their fitness as well as their livelihoods, I think there is going to have to be a more sophisticated discussion than merely describing all water activities by any person as “not essential” and thereby liable to fine. That solution smacks of having been made by a government official living in a metropolitan area who cycles to work but only visits the sea once a year.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2021, 03:13:15 AM »
So.....

Found a place where you were allowed to sneak onto the water yet? Burchas, got yours yet?

Looks sweet. I'm curious how it glides for flat water paddling.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2021, 10:59:40 AM »
So.....

Found a place where you were allowed to sneak onto the water yet? Burchas, got yours yet?

Looks sweet. I'm curious how it glides for flat water paddling.

Since shipping was an issue I could not get mine :'( I am working with HYPR on a more downwind specific 15 footer.
In the meantime I designed my self one with similar bottom the fits specific conditions I get from time to time:

https://youtu.be/p7ccFCArVUQ

« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 11:01:48 AM by burchas »
in progress...

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2021, 12:53:14 PM »
Turned out really clean. Nice job.  8)  A lot of work too.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal