Author Topic: Hypr Nalu Hawaii 14 ft gun: Bring a gun to a knife fight  (Read 93766 times)

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Hypr Nalu Hawaii 14 ft gun: Bring a gun to a knife fight
« on: October 19, 2019, 02:10:22 PM »
I absolutely love the Hypr Nalu Hawaii gun SUPs: I have versions in 10-6, 11-6 and 12-6. They are so incredibly stable for their width, and are exceptionally fast to paddle and surf. The build quality is also second to none and they are tough (with no paint to chip), and they also look very special indeed. These boards have a fairly flat rocker (for a surf shape), are low volume with thin rails, and have a patented set of concaves on the underside that really work. It is a unique set of characteristics that you won't find in any other board on the market, and overall, these are boards for connoisseurs. Amazingly however, they are comparable for price (or maybe even less) with other premium brands - despite being made with much better materials and methods (e.g. thick tropical hardwood veneers, wood stringers, quality foam, nose and tail wood blocks etc). I don't know why everyone doesn't have one :)

So, after having tried the 12-6 for downwinding and been amazed at how well it had picked up even small bumps, and delivered a "maximum surfability" experience, it was obvious to me that something longer and narrower would be an unreal performer. So I chatted with the owner of Hypr Nalu Hawaii, Ian Foo, and the European distributor, Richard Webb, and hey presto, a few weeks later they contacted me to say that 14ft Hypr gun was born.

And a couple of days ago I got these pictures of it being made. I'm getting mine in double-carbon full PVC sandwich construction. But tropical hardwood versions that look absolutely incredible are also going to be available (see the Hypr Nalu Hawaii website for examples of the finishes/constructions they offer).

14ft x 26" x 4.5"

If you are in the market for a surf/ocean board like the Sunova Search, or a downwind 14 like the Jimmy Lewis Rail, but you want some real HYPR performance - or even just a board that can cope with any kinds of winds or chop, then take a look at these pics.

I don't think I need to say any more.

Want one...?

« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 02:14:14 PM by Area 10 »

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Hypr Nalu Hawaii 14 ft gun: Bring a gun to a knife fight
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2019, 02:19:57 PM »
Cool looking board. However, I didn't know that a set of conceives could be pattented.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2019, 02:28:22 PM »
Cool looking board. However, I didn't know that a set of conceives could be pattented.

No, I didn't either, so queried it. And apparently Ian Foo does have a patent for this design.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2019, 03:18:34 PM »
I don't think I need to say any more. Want one...?

Say no more, I want one. hmm, in fact I ordered one ;D

When are you getting yours?
in progress...

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2019, 03:24:56 PM »
I don't think I need to say any more. Want one...?

Say no more, I want one. hmm, in fact I ordered one ;D

When are you getting yours?
I'm hoping to get two, actually :)

I think the new shipment will be arriving in November. Might be a good Christmas holiday :)

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2019, 04:19:44 PM »
Yummy. My banker is smiling.....who knows maybe.....
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2019, 04:32:05 PM »

Stop hogging the pipeline, other people waiting for their holiday gifts as well ;D
in progress...

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2019, 05:12:17 PM »

Stop hogging the pipeline, other people waiting for their holiday gifts as well ;D
Yeah, I know, I do feel a bit guilty. But the second one is for family, and family comes first...

I think that Hypr are testing the water a bit with this one. So numbers worldwide are likely to be limited, at least for a while. So, if you want one, I’d suggest contacting Ian or Richard soon and letting them know. The orders that will be shipped soon were made quite some time ago. But maybe if you were quick they could slip a couple of extra boards into the order before it is shipped. I know that this board is exactly the kind of thing that many of us have been looking for for a long time.

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2019, 01:32:19 PM »
very nice Area 10 and you do realize this is a public forum and some people are thinking of ordering them, board  :D

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2019, 02:06:16 PM »
very nice Area 10 and you do realize this is a public forum and some people are thinking of ordering them, board  :D
:) Well, I know at least one other person here who has been looking into these boards... but I got my order in before anyone else, so if anyone except me gets them they'll be hell to pay :) I'm already dreaming of surfing a Hypr gun 14 on an offshore sandbank break near me... and then the next day downwinding it...or doing a beach race... maybe even just touring flat water.

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2019, 02:59:10 PM »
Very interesting. So, is the 14 x 26 a general size that you wanted or do they do custom widths upon requests? I like the idea of a lower rocker and thinner board that is versatile like this.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2019, 04:22:07 PM »
Very interesting. So, is the 14 x 26 a general size that you wanted or do they do custom widths upon requests? I like the idea of a lower rocker and thinner board that is versatile like this.
This is a new model, and 26” wide is probably the most popular width for high performance ocean 14s these days. So it’s a good place to start. The extra stability of the concaves means it will probably feel like most 14x27 boards, which is comfortable for many.

If you speak to Ian Foo, the owner, he might be able to do you other widths and sizes. I know that at least one guy here is looking into a wider, thicker, higher volume version of mine. And at least one other person on another forum is also looking into it. But based on my experiences of the 10-6x27, 11-6x28 and 12-6x29 (the new version is going to be 12-6x27 I think), 14x26 should be stable enough for a wobbly old geezer like me. These low volume boards sit low in the water and don’t get pushed around by wind and waves, which helps a lot with stability as well as surfability. You can go narrower than you normally dare to.

Ian is a very experienced paddler, is very passionate about his sport, and takes great pride in his work. He’s a very busy guy as you might imagine, but if you contact him you can have a discussion for sure and he’ll help you out. He’s very approachable like that. It’s a family business.

Hypr have kinda carved out a niche for themselves in the marketplace that is like no other. The designs are different, the constructions are different, and this is a high-quality artisan/semi-custom type operation. I guess that if the business grew much bigger then it might not be possible to run such a personalised service, but luckily for the moment you can contact the boss man directly and he will listen to you. So drop him a line and see what is possible. I’m hoping he’ll make a 16x26 next :)

The only problem you’ll face if you get one is that suddenly all your other boards look a bit cheap and uninteresting :)

rbgar

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2019, 03:54:33 PM »
26” wide  :o :-\ :o ;D :) ;) :D :)

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2019, 12:47:42 AM »
26” wide  :o :-\ :o ;D :) ;) :D :)
Yeah, well, we’ll see. It may be too skilled up for me. But the bottom contours of the Hyprs add a lot of stability so you can go narrower than you think. They feel like they are boards that are about an inch or 1.5” wider than they are, If you think about the surface area that the deep concaves add, it is after all probably about an inch or more than an equivalent width flat bottom.

But as I say, we will see. Hypr might end up offering this design in a more comfortable wider design, perhaps. But for the moment this is intended as a high-performance model, rather than another board like the Venom or Sunova Search. The Jimmy Lewis Rail comes in a 26.5” width, but you stand a lot higher above the water, the nose and tail are more pulled in, and it has a relatively flat bottom. So I’d expect this Hypr gun to feel more stable in use than the 26.5” wide Rail.

I do have a 24.5” wide 16ft low volume DW board, and I can say that that is uncomfortably narrow for me in big chop after about 45 mins. So I am very aware of my limits. The narrower boards are definitely nicer upwind and in the flats though, when wide downwind boards can feel very sluggish. This gun will probably not be much slower than an equivalent width 14ft raceboard in flat water. Maybe only e.g. 2-3% slower, which is a lot if you are racing seriously, but good enough for everyday use if you are paddling just for fun. Trialling the 11-6 gun in ocean “flat” water with a buddy I was amazed to find that we were only 5% faster on a SIC RS 14x26: these designs paddle faster than you’d expect standard surf shapes to, as long as you aren’t a heavy unit. Hypr do however have some wider all-round type shapes in generous widths that would suit the bigger paddler.

I guess that maybe this board’s niche might be more similar to the (Mark Raaphorst design? Starboard?) kenalu (?) board that Pono Bill used to paddle in races, perhaps? In other words, a narrower longer surf-type shape that derives a lot of stability from keeping you close to the water and not presenting an excess of rail above the waterline that catches wind and waves. So if you aren’t getting bounced or pushed around, you can go narrower. I seem to remember that Pony Bill was very fond of that board.

But if this one is too narrow for me, I’ll just order a 28” wide version, if I can persuade Ian to make one :) Once you’ve started buying Hyprs it is hard to stop.  They are addictive.

What width would you order?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 01:06:40 AM by Area 10 »

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2019, 05:58:21 AM »
If you are comfortable on your RS at 26", I'm convinced you'll be just as comfortable on the Hyper at 26.

After riding so many board designs in different conditions, and riding the same design on different size I'm pretty sure you're more confident than you let on. This board looks very promising, in fact, I just sent Ian at Hyper my current specs to make me one as well. Just finalizing details.

Please share your experience as soon as you get it.
in progress...

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM