Author Topic: Gong wing order gone wrong  (Read 34791 times)

toejammer2

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Gong wing order gone wrong
« on: October 19, 2019, 08:21:32 AM »
Ordered a 7m Wing from Gong Sup on August 8. Had a bank transfer done through my credit union to a French bank called Societe Generale that Gong’s purchase order directed me to do. Gong says they never got the money. My credit union traced it twice and said it arrived on the 13th of August. They say the “swift code” proves it got to where it was supposed to.

I’ve pretty much kissed the money goodbye but someone should be held accountable. Anyone know who I can appeal to? At this point neither my credit union nor Gong has completely washed their hands of the matter but I’m sure the next time I contact them the hand wringing will begin.

Anyone know who I can contact to get some justice? Basically this is theft of $675.00 by someone.
Cheers

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Gong wing order gone wrong
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2019, 08:25:44 AM »
That sucks. Sorry I can't help with what your next steps should be, but please do keep us informed on how this turns out. Gong was one of the Wings I might be interested in, and I had heard somewhere they have good customer service. I'll watch this with interest.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2019, 08:44:42 AM »
ill bet this is just a misunderstanding and youll have remedy shortly--a wire from a us bank to gong's acct at socgen shd be fine--if it went to the wrong acct theyll reverse that, and if in fact the money went into gong's acct, and gong misunderstood, that can easily be clarified--socgen is a global money center bank---money cant just disappear there---and gong cant be in the business of stealing money

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

toejammer2

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2019, 08:55:10 AM »
Thanks for the response all. Jaime at Gong has been really good at getting back to me. He says every time they look into what happened they can’t find my money in their books. I went ahead and payed for another 7m wing with my credit card and got it pretty quickly without any problems. I don’t want to flame Gong at this point. I just don’t know where to turn when the banks tell me nothing more can be done.

Cheers

devon_sup_surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2019, 09:16:58 AM »
I have found Jamie at Gong pretty good too tbh.

I'm not sure I would let the wing money just disappear though.

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2019, 12:34:25 PM »
Why would anyone pay by money transfer  :o  CC or no deal. Hopefully you'll recover your money.
Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

toejammer2

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2019, 01:06:59 PM »
Embarrassing to confess but I was trying to keep things off of the credit card so the wife wouldn’t notice! I already talked her into a preorder for a Duotone 5m last March from Big Winds. I was going to pay cash and ask for forgiveness later—Karma got me I guess!

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2019, 04:39:39 PM »
Embarrassing to confess but I was trying to keep things off of the credit card so the wife wouldn’t notice! I already talked her into a preorder for a Duotone 5m last March from Big Winds. I was going to pay cash and ask for forgiveness later—Karma got me I guess!

Give up the toys or give up the wife :-\ That's a subject for a thread by it self
in progress...

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2019, 05:23:45 PM »
Are you sure this is anything to do with Gong? Couldn’t it just be a bank error?

Having said that, Gong in the past have tended to be a bit stereotypically “French” in their service. But those days have seemed to be behind them lately, and Jaime is indeed very helpful.

Shouldn’t it be up to your bank to trace where this money went?  You aren’t dealing with fly-by-night banking operations here: these are highly regulated and professional services. France isn’t the Wild West: in fact I’d personally probably trust French banking services over US ones.

toejammer2

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2019, 06:14:45 PM »
I have no idea what happened with my hard earned money but Gong Sup is not who I would first suspect. My brother Bill Caster was a well known surfboard shaper in San Diego. I worked for him for a year. What I saw was guys working their arses off. people involved in bringing our gear to market are just trying to live the dream and support their families in some cases. I suspect a wrong number was entered. From what I can see it went from my tiny credit union to a bigger credit union to Bank of America and then......?

toejammer2

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2019, 06:05:59 PM »
Update :

Money found. Was put in a dollar account Gong doesn’t use. Now wish I hadn’t gone for the refund - I’d use the money to get a 5m from them. Even with all that happened Gong Sup is the only company that has come through with an actual wing.

Duotone 5m -ordered March -never happened- cancelled order three weeks ago

F One 5m swing -called around a month ago and found a shop in Florida that said 5m F One wings would be coming at beginning of October-Didn’t happen.

I seem to remember DW saying something about not ordering unless they actually have a wing in stock. Should have listened but after a horrible summer of pure walled out crap muck waves (but plenty of wind) I got real desperate!
Cheers

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2019, 06:32:27 PM »
Big shipment of Fone wings went to dealers as I write this. Windance just shipped my 4.2m. NOW is the time to check shops everywhere. Or stick with Gong.

toejammer2

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2019, 06:43:42 PM »
Thanks D.W.
Windance emailed me today and offered the 4.2 but I’m sticking with the 5m-theynsaid third week of November for the 5m.

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM