Author Topic: Wing pump alternative  (Read 75720 times)

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Wing pump alternative
« on: October 16, 2019, 01:53:16 PM »
in progress...

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Wing pump alternative
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 02:02:00 PM »
great idea Burchas, packs away perfectly...hey did your F-one Wing also come with an adapter?  I read somewhere it does.

Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2019, 02:22:33 PM »
Great idea..  8)

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2019, 04:02:24 PM »
Perfect. I've already got that pump. Now I just need to get a Wing!
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2019, 09:10:22 PM »
great idea Burchas, packs away perfectly...hey did your F-one Wing also come with an adapter?  I read somewhere it does.

You are correct. F-One owners can save on the adapter as the one that comes with the wing fits this pump with slight modification.
in progress...

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2019, 02:03:37 PM »
Thanks, Burch...  I've added this as a second to my conventional 'butt-in-the-air', back buster, also from Amazon ~$14.  One of the local kiters had a very tall pump, but it was like $70.  At that, my little PITA pump pumps my WASP in ~2min.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2019, 02:23:37 PM »
Nice, but no pressure gauge. Do you just guess or did you do a gauge on the connector? I find my guess is not good enough, especially for the F-one.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2019, 05:04:26 PM »
Nice, but no pressure gauge. Do you just guess or did you do a gauge on the connector? I find my guess is not good enough, especially for the F-one.

Guesstimate. I never really looked even with my sup pump with the pressure gauge nor did I bother to find out what's the recommended pressure for the wing? Had no issue with not enough power up until now.
in progress...

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2019, 02:10:49 PM »
Credit - Burchas...   I got a foot pump ..and I had to do a test.  The standard vertical kite pump took a little over a minute and 70 duplex strokes to inflate to a 'tink' vs. a 'tunk'.  I did my best to evacuate the center strut and repeated with the foot pump. The time was similar but I only needed about 50 stomps to get the same result.* Each of these was about $14 on Amazon.  I had plenty of pumps in 13yrs of kites, but never a foot pump. (air mattress prejudice? ..me too-ism?) Some people used electric pumps for kites but that seemed really slack for such an intense sport...

The vertical pump will be the reserve.  The foot pump is so much more 'back-friendly' - that alone is worth having one.  Thanks for the prompt, Burchas.

Jim

*I should take another shot at it; the main tube seemed a little softer with the footie. (the strut may have been filling..) But, they are so close in time and price - what's a coupla extra stomps. 

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2019, 04:26:01 PM »
...The foot pump is so much more 'back-friendly' - that alone is worth having one.  Thanks for the prompt, Burchas.

I think you nailed it Jim. 'back-friendly' is probably the killer feature to state before all my convenience oriented reasons.

in progress...

MLB

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2019, 06:43:39 PM »
Nice, but to be fair it take about 30 seconds with my Red Paddle Co isup pump. Barely worth complaining about.
 If you don't check psi you probably aren't airing it up enough.  it's tighter than you think at 6psi.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2019, 07:02:54 PM »
Nice, but to be fair it take about 30 seconds with my Red Paddle Co isup pump. Barely worth complaining about.
 If you don't check psi you probably aren't airing it up enough.  it's tighter than you think at 6psi.

It does take me about 30 seconds with the Red Titan But this pump is a bitch to handle and takes so much space among other things. I can get the wing just as tight with foot pump. And really, who wants to spend $130 for a pump.
in progress...

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2019, 07:36:31 PM »
Six pounds is about the minimum, I do about 6.5. Makes a big difference in handling. There are adapters with a guage in them, it doesn't have to be on the pump.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2019, 08:19:54 PM »
Six pounds is about the minimum, I do about 6.5. Makes a big difference in handling. There are adapters with a guage in them, it doesn't have to be on the pump.

Could you elaborate on the difference you experienced between 6 to 6.5? If that sounds like I'm missing something it may encourage my lazy ass to go and try it for my self.
in progress...

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2019, 10:41:35 AM »
Here's another opinion...   Ole' Barton Decker in HAT made him give me a lesson.  If you think he speaks 'a little direct here', you shudda been there! I topped it off walking thru a large area of sandspurs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KKY0ZRyqDg

Jim

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal