Author Topic: Next Level Foiling with Small Tail  (Read 28085 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Next Level Foiling with Small Tail
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2019, 07:58:09 AM »
Yeah, I agree wingers and downwinders will get to tune their stuff faster. Downwinding is super-hard and the people who do it well tweak a lot. Their gear needs to be right on, the difference between perfect and close is a long paddle or a shit-ton of pumping.

Winging is the fat, old, bad knee, less talented guys answer for downwinding--or at least it is in this case. It might not demand tuning as much as downwinding, but you get a lot more time and distance to feel everything. One run back and forth across the Columbia is two miles. The one time I actually recorded my track it appears I did 16 miles of foiling. Almost two hours going more than 6mph (that's what I used as my cutoff--I doubt I can get going that fast without being in the air).
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2019, 09:29:04 PM »
I've been finding more and more that the idea of having front foot forward on takeoff for the steep big stuff FEELS RIGHT (and feels more secure), but actually is turning out to be much worse.  What's been working really well for me is setting my feet in the right spots as i catch the wave, and then fully weighting my front foot if its steep or fast.  This way, as soon as I get to the bottom of the wave, I can have appropriate pitch control and don't slap down the nose of the board.  Since I adopted this, I've foiled out of a bunch of tricky spots that I know for sure I was blowing when I was using the front foot forward technique.

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2019, 07:42:34 AM »
I've been using my large higher aspect wing with my small stabilizer for a while and really like it.  Very little tendency to overfoil on larger fast faces and is very easy on smaller waves.  Its to the point that I really never have to decide which wing to use.  Its always this one.  That may change when I make a new fuselage and high aspect stabilizer and new high aspect front wing.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal