Author Topic: Red Bull Heavy Water SUP Race - Ocean Beach San Francisco GREEN  (Read 93756 times)

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Red Bull Heavy Water SUP Race - Ocean Beach San Francisco GREEN
« on: October 15, 2019, 06:08:39 AM »
The race is supposed to be on this Friday.  Should be a good one:

https://www.appworldtour.com/post/red-bull-heavy-water-2019
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 06:11:48 AM by Beasho »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Red Bull Heavy Water SUP Race - Ocean Beach San Francisco GREEN
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 06:12:51 AM »
The 24 Men stepping up to do battle at the 2019 Red Bull Heavy Water include some of Ocean Sport's most celebrated legends and both current and rising stars, as the event will challenge every single skillset these incredible athletes possess and then some. The environment is like no other, as XXL surf will be thundering through the race course to provide the most spectacular racing the sport has ever seen. Here are the 24 athletes set to take part in the 2019 edition:

1) Michael Booth (AUS)

2) Arthur Arutkin (FRA)

3) Casper Steinfath (DK)

4) Connor Baxter (HI)

5) Mo Freitas (HI)

6) Lincoln Dews (AUS)

7) Zane Schweitzer (HI)

8) Travis Grant (AUS)

9) Danny Ching (USA)

10) Itzel Delgado (PER)

11) Slater Trout (USA)

12) Tyler Bashor (USA)

13) Christian Anderson (DK)

14) Kai Lenny (HI)

15) Martin Vitry (FRA)

16) James Casey (AUS)

17) Bernd Roediger (HI)

18) Ryan Funk (HI)

19) Kody Kerbox (HI)

20) Fernando Stalla (MEX)

21) Kenny Kaneko (JP)

22) Riggs Napoleon (HI)

23) Chuck Glynn (USA)

24) Mark Alfaro (USA)

PS: Mark Alfaro is the lone mortal of the bunch.  He is a Half Moon Bay, California legend.  Rips on the short board.  A Jedi of the SUP art.  Charges Mavericks and most recently has been terrorizing us on his prone foil board at Goons.  Go Mark!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 06:18:39 AM by Beasho »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 06:14:12 AM »
It will be exciting to see the Women step up in 2019 to take on what is without doubt the most challenging race course in the World for the sport of Stand Up Paddling. With an incredible cast of characters set to take part, we are anticipating a specatcular show at this year's Red Bull Heavy Water, as some of Ocean Sport's most well rounded talents step up to be counted.

Here are the Women slated for the 2019 edition of Red Bull Heavy Water:

1) Yuka Sato (JP)

2) Annie Reickert (HI)

3) April Zilg (USA)

4) Terrene Black (AUS)

5) Fiona Wylde (USA)

6) Izzi Gomez (USA)

7) Annabel Anderson (NZ)

8) Jordan Mercer (NZ)

9) Andrea Moller (BRA)

10) Shakira Westdorp (AUS)

Red Bull Heavy Water will feature a full broadcast of the Race: stay tuned for timings of the broadcast once race day is called

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2019, 07:46:06 AM »
That is an awesome lineup ,  both men's and womens

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2019, 08:20:21 AM »
Giant Ocean Beach on a race board?

Sounds like fun.

SUPJorge

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2019, 08:39:36 AM »
Where/how do we catch the broadcast?
14' SIC Bullet V2 - 9'1" Naish Hokua X32 LE

805StandUp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2019, 09:21:25 AM »
Awesome!  And awesome that they are going to do a full broadcast this year as opposed to us having to rely on our friends on StandupZone to live stream... hopefully they will have on the boat and on the shore perspectives.  Looking forward to watching.

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2019, 12:19:14 PM »

Not sure of the details, but the following was in the article:

"Stay tuned for exact timings of this race and watch it all go down at www.appworldtour.com and @appworldtour"

RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2019, 01:23:32 PM »
what line up and soo many legends on that list and good luck to your local boy Beasho - Mark Alfaro. Bring on the big kahuna sets  ;D :o

can't wait to see Annabel Anderson (NZ) in action come back and see what she's got!

805StandUp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2019, 02:51:53 PM »

Not sure of the details, but the following was in the article:

"Stay tuned for exact timings of this race and watch it all go down at www.appworldtour.com and @appworldtour"

This article (https://www.totalsup.com/news/participants-red-bull-heavy-water-2019/?fbclid=IwAR3E6b3_9aNt6RDXycZys0V_NAXwe603az3VcLmTckZWTToDMqS_X-NbPL4) says: "

Red Bull Heavy Water will feature a full broadcast of the Race on TotalSUP’s Facebook Page (https://www.facebook.com/totalsupofficial) – stay tuned for timings of the broadcast once race day is called

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2019, 09:22:28 PM »
I was talking to Fiona about this a few days ago. I wanted to try my new fatboy foil wing, so even though the wind sucked and it was nasty cold and grey I rigged and suited up to go out at Jensen. There was no one else around. While I was dragging all my windfoil crap down to the water Fiona showed up with the board she's using (sheesh, it's skinny) all suited up with an impact vest under her wetsuit. She wanted to make sure it wasn't going to shift around, so while I was dragging my butt slowly across the river I saw her paddle out and then climb up on the pylons near the event center and jump off to see how it held up. It's about a 15 foot drop. She seemed satisfied.

She seemed excited, but also a bit more serious than she usually is. Tough race. Tough kid.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2019, 09:22:10 AM »

This year they have turned the race around...it will be absolutely epic!!! They will start at Crissy and finish at OB.

Forecast right now looks like 3x overhead and wind. So they will paddle against the wind and the tide surge (can be up to 5 knots of current) from Crissy around the point to OB, then zigzag in and out of the waves at OB. Wave forecast is looking like 16ft surf, which can provide some real monster waves at OB even if the wind is blowing 30knots side  /onshore. Right now it will come up in the afternoon, but you never really know at OB.

Last competition some of the competitors did not even make it past the first paddle out...it was that hard. Lenny lost because he misjudged the paddle out. Even competitors that are 30 minutes after the lead have a chance in this competition because of the current and waves.

I'm amped. I think I might test it out this afternoon.   

805StandUp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2019, 09:39:32 AM »

This year they have turned the race around...it will be absolutely epic!!! They will start at Crissy and finish at OB.

Forecast right now looks like 3x overhead and wind. So they will paddle against the wind and the tide surge (can be up to 5 knots of current) from Crissy around the point to OB, then zigzag in and out of the waves at OB. Wave forecast is looking like 16ft surf, which can provide some real monster waves at OB even if the wind is blowing 30knots side  /onshore. Right now it will come up in the afternoon, but you never really know at OB.

Last competition some of the competitors did not even make it past the first paddle out...it was that hard. Lenny lost because he misjudged the paddle out. Even competitors that are 30 minutes after the lead have a chance in this competition because of the current and waves.

I'm amped. I think I might test it out this afternoon.   

So cool!  And reverse direction should actually make for a more exciting on the water portion with the athletes not tired out from the waves until later.  If I recall a few years back, you were the one that livestreamed the event for us... still appreciate that!  Saw on Red Bull's site that they are delaying the "live broadcast" to start at 2pm whereas the race will start at 10am.  They will have Boat, Air and Land views, though.  Hopefully it will still be a full broadcast and not over-edited.

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2019, 09:55:40 AM »

So cool!  And reverse direction should actually make for a more exciting on the water portion with the athletes not tired out from the waves until later.  If I recall a few years back, you were the one that livestreamed the event for us... still appreciate that!  Saw on Red Bull's site that they are delaying the "live broadcast" to start at 2pm whereas the race will start at 10am.  They will have Boat, Air and Land views, though.  Hopefully it will still be a full broadcast and not over-edited.

haha no worries. It was hard keeping the phone steady. I bet the "delayed live" ie. recording will have way better production value.

Last time the race was pretty much over once they got out of the last zag. This time anything can happen now so definitely a good call of them to turn it around. I still have to move a few meetings around, but will try to be there at the end.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal