Author Topic: Perhaps a new way to ship boards within the U.S.  (Read 13593 times)

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Perhaps a new way to ship boards within the U.S.
« on: October 12, 2019, 12:54:41 PM »
I read something this morning and found the link so you can read for yourself.  I see potential in give-and-take.  I have bribed people I didn't know to carry stuff to me - luckily I live on a beeline between Boston and HAT, so it was easy to find someone passing thru.  I also had to use folks like KAS transport to send rowing shells to various places as they could never be 'truck freight'.  I just skimmed Roadie ..see what you think.  Shells are likely too long, but NOT boards!

https://www.economist.com/business/2019/10/03/crowdshipping-is-the-next-stop-for-the-sharing-economy

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Perhaps a new way to ship boards within the U.S.
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2019, 04:43:00 PM »
The first time I saw the commercial on TV for "Ship Sticks", which is for golf clubs only, a big light went off in my head.  But is the demand for shipping real sticks as large as it is for golf clubs?  That is the question.
It takes a quiver to do that.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2019, 11:35:24 PM »
Deepmud is planning on shipping some boards using uShip. It looks pretty good. www.uship.com  Have to see how that works out....

It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2019, 09:37:21 AM »
yes. At least for now, I feel pretty positive :D Keep in mind I managed to tack on shipping a 2nd Unlimited for about 1/2 the cost of the first one. If all goes well, I will have gotten 2 18' carbon fiber boards from California to Bainbridge Island/WA for $650 (I have a friend with barn - then I think about how to get it to Alaska - it's easier from WA to find someone coming north with a trailer or just use a forwarder). It helps to not be in a hurry, and you need the pickup to be flexible on time too - it started out with a 2 or 3 day window - now he's saying Tuesday (evening for you, Talldude) . You can pick from different bids with different shipping options. My first offer had a $400 flatbed and a $650 enclosed trailer. Oh - and I sprung $50 insurance on the first board. 2nd board....is "under the table" and I am taking a risk. But - you can see how many positive reviews and know a bit about the shipper. Unlike a giant faceless corporation, you are negotiating with a person or maybe a small crew. If the boards are dinged or damaged, it will be Nelson's fault :D not "an employee". I didn't spend a lot of time hunting Fed Ex and UPS - the costs seemed to be higher but I didn't call and try to nail down a quote. I think I would look at Uship for about anything that I can't just send via the USPS. 25 years ago I bought a set of home-made wheel-tracks (like Mattracks)  - he had to wrap it up in pieces the Post Office would accept but I got several hundred pounds of snowmobile tracks and steel and bogies shipped from Maine to Alaska for $450. Today  - I'd look at Uship to at least get it to Washington. And heck - I should see if I can get a Uship bid on my boards from Washington to Alaska between now and spring - there are a lot of people hauling stuff who would like to defray fuel costs at least - if they bought an RV trailer for instance, a could of carbon fiber boards on top would be an easy money maker for them - tho' that sounds more like the "crowdshipping" option while Uship is more "independent shippers".

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2019, 10:18:26 AM »
It's expensive to live in AK, eh Mud?*   I looked at Uship years ago, but it felt like buying weed from a guy in a bar 'who has a friend' that can meet me in the parking lot. The randomness of the whole thing was spooky.  Maybe it is better now.

I bought a car in Cleveland in April, new from the dealer, so I was not concerned about the car and they use a 'message board' system.  I am sure you have seen these diesel pickups pulling a longish trailer with 3-4 cars... These guys, while roaming around, watch postings to see if one might match their current heading.  My guy was in Green Bay WI when he pulled the ticket.  Day next he was out front.  'Our last four cars, I either flew or took Amtrak to bring back. This drop off was $400.

Jim

*Mud, you might cruise some of the RV forums...  There are people 'planning' trips all the time.  Perhaps you could PM one and say; "You be pulling a trailer, bra?  You like Salmon?"

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f295/
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2019, 11:15:07 AM »
now he's saying Tuesday (evening for you, Talldude) .

That works. Doing the repair on the tail ding today. I'll pack it up with bubble wrap and heavy cardboard or Masonite. I have a few sheets laying around. Then I'll shove it into the big board bag tomorrow. It sticks out of the board bag about a foot. Maybe the bag will fit the Bark? 
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal