Author Topic: New Airline Policy.  (Read 41946 times)

ilmsup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
New Airline Policy.
« on: October 12, 2019, 10:38:01 AM »
So both Delta and American now allow surfboards to be checked at the check bag rate and not the $150 it use to be.  The both mention Paddleboards under that category .   Has anyone tried checking a paddle board?  There is one caveat that bothers me.  They have weight and "linear inches" limitation.  My board has not problems with the weight and it is only 8 feet long.  But linear inches is defined as width + length + height and it must be under 126 inches.  That doesn't even work for my 9 foot longboard which is 22 inches wide.   I heard that they are more concerned about the weight than taking out a tape measure.  Why would they list paddleboards when I don't think there exist a paddleboard the has a width+height+length under 126?
Here's what the site says:

Allowance and requirements
Water sports boards include:

Surfboards
Wakeboards
Wave skis
Boogie boards
Skim boards
Paddle boards
Speed boards
Kiteboard / kitesurf
1 bag or case can contain multiple boards and will count as 1 checked item. Keels, kedges, and/or fins must be removed or properly protected to prevent damage to other bags.

Cost
Standard checked bag fees of your destination apply up to 50lbs/23kgs and 126in/320cm (length + width + height) or a $150 fee applies from 51lbs/23kgs to 70lbs/32kgs.

For travel to, through or from Brazil, for tickets issued on or before May 20, 2019, the fee will be:

$42.50 (1st board bag/case)
$85 (2+ board bags/cases)
For tickets issued on or after May 21, 2019, there is no exception for Brazil.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Re: New Airline Policy.
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2019, 11:10:59 AM »
Over the years, ilm, I've noted you need to check an airline 'Contract of Carriage'.  They vary somewhat between carriers... yet, I am positive there are people here who went to the airport and these rules were ignored (or unknown) by the curbside or counter check-in crew.  My fear would be the return! (I got a little grief in Cabarete ~2004...)  Here's a clip from American's.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/baggage/specialty-and-sports.jsp

I gather Scotty of SMIK from WA landed in NY with 10 boards not long ago...  There has to be a story there!  It needs to be in a podcast format so we get the properly accended version.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2019, 12:22:08 PM »
Go to the airlines website and try to find 'sports equipment'. They should use those rather than inches. For example, Alaska Air says two SUPs per bag less than 9'7" is treated as regular baggage.  If you think you might have a problem checking in, print the page with the policy and bring it with you.
Also, if you fly to or from California on United, surfboards and SUPs are regular baggage.

gone_foiling

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2019, 01:12:16 PM »
I flew to Maui from Fort Myers last year with my two sups on AA. Sups were 9.6 Imagine and 8.11 Fanatic. My board bag was 118” long and about 69lbs. I paid $150. And the only thing they measured was the length, it could not exceed 126”. No problems at all. I like AA actually because of their generous length allowance.
Addicted to foiling at the moment.
My shenanigans on insta @gone_foiling

supthecreek

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2019, 04:00:09 PM »
I flew from Thailand to Boston, on Qatar Airlines
8 hour flight - 10 hour layover in Doha -  13 hour flight

9' SUP in a 10' bag, filled with paddles and stuff.

NO charge  ;D ;D ;D

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2019, 04:30:33 PM »
Hey Creek, Thailand 2 years ago,  Portugal last year,  where are you spending next winter?  How about Southern California?

OkiWild

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2019, 08:05:01 PM »
126" seems to be the universal standard for maximum length. Even standard air freight is only up to that length. I was told it's a "cargo door" thing, but whatever... There are air freight ways to ship big items, but not for mere mortals. It costs me about $500 for a board for air freight out of HI, $600 for two boards, etc., but a 14' board is $700 by ocean freight.

ilmsup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2019, 09:34:45 AM »
Thanks for the feedback and it is good to hear that people have gotten the SUP boards on a plane.  The linear limitation is 126 for American and 115 for Delta.  What is troubling is they both define thi limitation as length+width+height.  For example from Delta’s page:  If the outside linear dimensions (length + width + height) exceed 115 linear inches (292 cm), the item will not be accepted.

My Standup is only 8 feet long, and it only weighs 15 pounds but if I have to add the width to the length it won’t make it on the plane.  I’ve thought about going to the airport very early to check the bag and if they don’t accept it driving back home with it but then I thought about them not letting me check it on the ride home.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2019, 10:24:38 AM »
ilm,  Nobody has mentioned it, but I also gather 'curbside' check-in is much less officious than 'counter' check-in.   Maybe a 'tip-in-hand' helps.  My concern would be trying to get back from Tamarindo, MEX, etc.

Jim

ilmsup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2019, 11:12:45 AM »
ilm,  Nobody has mentioned it, but I also gather 'curbside' check-in is much less officious than 'counter' check-in.   Maybe a 'tip-in-hand' helps.  My concern would be trying to get back from Tamarindo, MEX, etc.

Jim

Exactly. It is the return that worries me. 

Good tip to know about curbside. 

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2019, 03:22:59 PM »
For what it's worth I've never had a problem with Alaska Airlines when my board is approximately 9'6, meaning, I've taken a 9'8, a 9'9 and a 10' without problem.  True of both ticket counter and curbside, but I tend to use curbside now almost exclusively, on my way to park the car. Get that board out of my hair. 

As for the return trip risk. Related -  I took a three piece travel paddle to Santa Cruz last Friday, as carry on, no problem, but on the return leg I was DENIED at Xray .... after some powwowing amongst the TSA I was told I had to exit security and check it... because it was "a stick".... I asked nicely if there are crteria for prohibited 'sticks', and was told, "you know like a baseball bat..."     

« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 03:31:46 PM by Dusk Patrol »
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2019, 11:43:44 AM »
DP,  I'm surprised they didn't accuse you of carrying a 'blowgun'.  The guys who manage TSA sectors I gather rake in big bucks, but the grunts are treated like window tellers at the bank. 

Jim

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2019, 12:27:29 PM »
Now I guess back to my search for a travel paddle that fits inside luggage. 78" / 3 pieces = three 26" sections.   
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2019, 05:24:08 AM »
Thanks for the feedback and it is good to hear that people have gotten the SUP boards on a plane.  The linear limitation is 126 for American and 115 for Delta.  What is troubling is they both define thi limitation as length+width+height.  For example from Delta’s page:  If the outside linear dimensions (length + width + height) exceed 115 linear inches (292 cm), the item will not be accepted.

My Standup is only 8 feet long, and it only weighs 15 pounds but if I have to add the width to the length it won’t make it on the plane.  I’ve thought about going to the airport very early to check the bag and if they don’t accept it driving back home with it but then I thought about them not letting me check it on the ride home.

I debated the same thing, and I fly with Delta a lot (probably 10 trips with a 8'2" SUP), never had a problem with checking. The linear dimensions are there, but for the most part as long as it's under 50 lbs you are good to go. Counter check helps, but frankly, I wouldn't sweat it with any of the big airlines.

Also - flew to California a month ago, no issues with Delta, no charge.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

supthecreek

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2019, 06:13:18 AM »
Hey Creek, Thailand 2 years ago,  Portugal last year,  where are you spending next winter?  How about Southern California?

Hi Tom, sorry, I just saw this!
No plan just yet, but I am avoiding a wetsuit so far, and thinking how much I don't want to wear one.
SoCal is interesting, and I spent 3 winters there in early 70's.....

I'm just going to see what opportunities present themselves.  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal