Author Topic: board bags  (Read 5557 times)

northshore_slider

• Malibu Status
  • north shore mass
    • View Profile
    • instagram
    • Email
board bags
« on: October 11, 2019, 09:40:33 AM »
Hey folks. I searched around and mostly found old threads referencing board bags that were no longer available. I just bought a 8'6 Jimmy Lewis Super Frank and want to get a bag for it. Any recommendations? Brands I saw mentioned in other threads were Pro-Lite, SUP Sports, Vitamin Blue... thanks!
Jimmy Lewis Worldwide 8'1 x 29 - 110L
Jimmy Lewis Destroyer 8'5 x 30 - 130L
Kalama E3 9'2 x 30 - 126L

previous:
Jimmy Lewis Super Frank 8'6 x 32 - 141L
Infinity RNB 8'8 x 32 - 142L
Hobie RAW 9'4 x 32 - 146L
Starboard Element 9'8 x 30 - 153L

me: 5'11, 185lbs, 42yrs old
@surfing_byrneski

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: board bags
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2019, 09:58:47 AM »
GONG SUP DAYBAG SHORTBOARD
55,00€ – 78,00€ (
Price includes VAT, shipping excluded
The perfect light and protective daily transport bag to avoid daily abuse.

Fits almost all Shortboard SUP.

3 sizes : 7’6×30″, 8’6×31″, et 9’6×32″

GONG SUP BAG LUXE SHORTBOARD
88,00€ – 96,00€
Price includes VAT, shipping excludedA carrying multi task boardbag that provide the best board protection against shocks.

Fits almost all Shortboard and Compact SUP.

3 sizes : 7’6×31″, 8’6×32″, and 9’6×32″
I don't have one of their bags, but the price, and quality of the wingding wing I have is pretty nice.

Here's the link for their "day bag"...or this one for their more padded "Luxe" model.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2019, 12:12:49 PM »
Vitamin Blue make GREAT bags and custom made to fit your board perfectly.  Great product, nice people...highly recommend  Just bought one off their bags for my new L41 SUP last month
contact frank
frank@vitaminblue.com
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

northshore_slider

• Malibu Status
  • north shore mass
    • View Profile
    • instagram
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2019, 01:09:20 PM »
Vitamin Blue make GREAT bags and custom made to fit your board perfectly.  Great product, nice people...highly recommend  Just bought one off their bags for my new L41 SUP last month
contact frank
frank@vitaminblue.com
love the sound of all that... but the big question... affordable?
Jimmy Lewis Worldwide 8'1 x 29 - 110L
Jimmy Lewis Destroyer 8'5 x 30 - 130L
Kalama E3 9'2 x 30 - 126L

previous:
Jimmy Lewis Super Frank 8'6 x 32 - 141L
Infinity RNB 8'8 x 32 - 142L
Hobie RAW 9'4 x 32 - 146L
Starboard Element 9'8 x 30 - 153L

me: 5'11, 185lbs, 42yrs old
@surfing_byrneski

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2019, 01:24:14 PM »
They aren't cheap, but they are a perfect fit and they pay a lot of attention to detail with their bags. I was really impressed when I received it.

I think it was around $275 for a custom bag   Maybe they have stock sizes for less
My L41 custom SUP wasn't cheap either and I wanted great protection for it.
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2019, 05:26:41 PM »
I just ordered this:

https://ebay.us/BhwtEH

for 60 bucks its worth a shot.   I need it to hold up for one round trip.  Figure pool noodle the junk out of my board and bring a roll of duct tape for the way back.

I havent gotten it yet but will post up in a few weeks when it comes.  SUre it will be medicore. But i just need a shell.  the way you pack the board protects it not the bag itself in my opinion. (especially with SUP and the lack of options)

This will be going to the Maldives, along with a double FCS coffin with both my prone shortboards.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2019, 06:15:12 PM »
I've noticed with board bags that you need to spend a little. You can get low priced bags, but the zippers tend to tear, the handles tend to come off, and the material is fragile. FCS makes good bags, but they are pricey. I've had one for years, and it is pretty good.

I think Epic bags are a good compromise with durability and price. I have had an adjustable one for about 15 years, and it's still in pretty good shape. I replaced the zipper once, but that's not so bad. I bought a second one this year for my Bic 9'2". The quality isn't as good as my old one, but it's still okay. The picture has the old one on the left. The new model doesn't have the fin pocket or straps to adjust the length. Instead there's velcro inside which is only good for specific lengths.

http://epicgearusa.com/sup/bags
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2019, 06:56:08 AM »
I got a Searcher and a Mission from Jimmy Lewis and got board bags from him for both of those boards. The Searcher bag fits amazing while the Mission bag fits good but not near like the glove fit of the Searcher bag. I also have other boards and I have other bags for some of those. The Jimmy Lewis bags are top notch and probably my best bags. Not sure which Super Frank you have but he has an assortment of bags listed and I am sure one of those would be a good fit and that Marlon or Jimmy would recommend the right bag for your board.
I can recommend Vitamin Blue as well and am happy with the custom bag I got from them.
https://jimmylewis.com/shop/sup-boardbags/

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2019, 10:46:57 AM »
careful the width/length nojerz---with pool noodles/pipe insul, your widith and length will grow slightly

i always cover board rail/perimeter with pipe insul, and insert a tough piece of cardboard on top and bottom--then i double bag, if only bc the bags happen to fit one into the other---then i insert paddles (also with pipe insul on) between the two bags

use blue 3m masking tape--so you dont have sticky boogers all over the board

comes in at 40 lbs with the creek 8'7"

props to alaska air--boards are considered checked bags @ 30$first 40$add'l--easy peasy jfk to sfo

my outer bag had a blown zipper--so i ordered the zipper repair kit that was featured here at the zone-"fixnzip"---it worked, though the zipper is not as durable as new--so i wrapped strapping tape in a way to take stress off the repaired zipper--both flights TSA cut the tape off and opened the outer bag--luckily they managed to rezip the repaired bag and all good

my nice bags are midnight bags--unfortunately midnight closed a few years ago--they made the best, all in the usa, so got killed by labor/cost arbitrage
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 11:29:30 AM by eastbound »
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

OkiWild

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2019, 01:03:38 AM »
I have several FCS SUP bags. Excellent quality. Heavy duty. Not inexpensive...

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2019, 08:45:59 AM »
at least those curve bags per ninja get the sizes right--counts for something

nose and tail beefing looks good
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal