Author Topic: Light air fall cruising clip  (Read 2453 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Light air fall cruising clip
« on: October 10, 2019, 05:29:30 PM »
Chan took this iPhone clip of my first run before joining me for a light wind solo session.  It was just lightly capping (blowing 8-12 when we launched).  This was an East wind in Hood River.   So peaceful drifting around on this light breeze with the Fall colors.  That is my 5 Meter Swing and my 1020 foil.  Loving this sport!

« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 05:36:12 PM by Admin »

JEG

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Light air fall cruising clip
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2019, 07:42:20 PM »
smooth Admin and how I would like to do them wing someday

gzasinets

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2019, 08:22:52 PM »
Nice. Beautiful scenery too. So, Admin, what are the biggest pros and cons of f-one vs Duotone? Sorry if itís too loaded of a question.
SIC Bullet 17.4 V1
SIC F16 V1
SIC Bullet 14V2
2018 Infinity Downtown 14x25 flat deck

GoFoil Iwa, M200, M280
JL Flying V 6.5
Duotone Foil Wing 5m

JL SuperTech 8.8
JL Kwad 9.1
2016 Imagine Icon 9.6 W

Cronin LB 9.4
Bunch of QB & Kenalu Paddles

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2019, 03:18:19 AM »
Nice. Beautiful scenery too. So, Admin, what are the biggest pros and cons of f-one vs Duotone? Sorry if itís too loaded of a question.

Hah!  We have to be able to answer that here.  Forum=Gear Forum  :).  For me the biggest difference (from all of the brands that I have tried) is that I can carry a smaller wing in the same condition with the Swings.  That means a much more user friendly experience.  I personally did not like using a boom at all.  The Swing is significantly lighter, even at the same size.  It is the lightest wing out there by a good deal.  The Swing has a very deep pocket which depowers easily (Luff Strut).  The Swing is a very calm wing.  It flies gently from the leading edge handle or the leash.  That is very nice, especially when the wind gets stronger.  The Duotones have a very odd behavior there.  When the wing is right-side up (flying position) they beat from side to side.  This is a gentle sway in light wind but it gets pretty violent in strong winds.  I think that they will correct that in future iterations.  Riders are shredding on all of these wings so none of these factors will keep anyone from learning or having a blast.

gzasinets

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2019, 09:11:04 AM »
Perfect, thanks for your input. Need to find a swing to try now.
SIC Bullet 17.4 V1
SIC F16 V1
SIC Bullet 14V2
2018 Infinity Downtown 14x25 flat deck

GoFoil Iwa, M200, M280
JL Flying V 6.5
Duotone Foil Wing 5m

JL SuperTech 8.8
JL Kwad 9.1
2016 Imagine Icon 9.6 W

Cronin LB 9.4
Bunch of QB & Kenalu Paddles

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Ponohouse is for sale. Great house but it's time for new adventures
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2019, 05:57:37 PM »
I like the Duotone in smaller sizes, controllable, light, powerful for the size, and I greatly prefer the boom. At my weight though, I'm using the 5M in some fairly fierce wind, and it's a handful. It works, and it's good, but I come in after a session with my shoulders sore from controlling the wing. I've watched Ken Winner and Julie Schreyer using the 5M and even the prototype 6M in winds more suited to them, like 15-20mph, and they control beautifully. But at 25-35 with a moose hanging on the boom the center of thrust moves around a lot--I can see the shape changing and the center of thrust moving back. I think it needs a web, or whatever they call that piece of fabric that attaches between the strut and canopy on some of the other wings to keep the foil shape more consistent. I took mine to Airtime to see if they'd add a web and they didn't want to do it. They said it would be something that would need to go through a lot of interations to get it right.

The F-one 5M is a lot calmer, even in strong winds, doesn't distort as much. I hate the floppy handles though. I tried to get over it, but they really screw up control of the wing in every situation where you aren't just hanging off the strut. So I made a fake boom and handle stiffners. It's not a perfect solution, but it gives me better control.
Ponohouse is for sale: http://www.ponohouse.com
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2019, 04:46:55 AM »
This session talked me out of a rear foot strap (at least for now).  I love the feel of it but the very specific coordination required to get my right foot in (and more importantly out) of the back strap is so frustratingly bad now that I think I have to ditch it.  Bummed about that but, oh well.  I have gotten used to riding strapless so I may just run with that. 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2019, 07:37:37 AM »
I completely wussed out yesterday. Drove to swell city where the east wind was good. Had the place all to myself. Got out of the truck and stood there in the cold wind, looking at the cold water and thought about putting on my wet and cold wetsuit. Just couldn't get excited about that. So I left and did geek stuff getting multiple ESP32's and ESP8266's to simultaneously talk wirelessly using a raspberry pi to broker MQTT all afternoon.

So that was exciting. But warm.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2019, 08:42:37 AM »
It was blowing 50 to 60 at Rooster Rock.  That would have been exciting.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2019, 09:18:08 AM »
I could have used my 3M.  And a parachute. Swell was a pretty ideal 20mph. I just didn't want to do it.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2019, 10:35:14 AM »
I was at Harvest Fest with the grands.  That was awesome...but it was 10-15 at Luhr and I also really wanted to get wet.:)