Author Topic: Auto emissions in the USA  (Read 3562 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Auto emissions in the USA
« on: October 10, 2019, 07:47:19 AM »
This is a pretty interesting link, if only for how clever the web page design is. Interesting data as well though. You might miss the option to select the metro area near you-- it is right at the beginning with NYC preselected. If you click on that you can switch to a number of other areas. It's hard to believe that the Trump administration is going to roll back emissions requirements--who wants that? From what I've seen, not even the vehicle manufacturers want it.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/10/10/climate/driving-emissions-map.html
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Auto emissions in the USA
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2019, 01:04:55 PM »
I should not be surprised to see the large CO2 contribution from passenger cars since public transportation totally sucks (in the NYC metro area).

I'll be heading off to a Devils game in a couple hours at the Pru center which is a half-block walk from Newark Penn train station.  My office is 5 minutes from the Red Bank Train station.  The train ride is about an hour and costs about $12 each way.  So, that's $75 round trip for three of us.

So, we'll hop in my jeep and drive the 38 miles in much less time and at a lower overall cost.  This should not be possible...

Where's my maglev damit!

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2019, 02:40:41 PM »
but bean, the piece makes clear that nyc metro is the city in the us which produces the least emissions per person

so, whatever the quality of nyc public transport, nyc moves its people around efficiently when considering emissions--the advantage of density is clear, among many older cities, which were built for pedestrians

modern sprawls emit

if you cant link the piece, try chrome incognito, worked for me

what kills me is people who fly NY Boston DC on business--and i dont blame them--it can be cheaper and quicker, incredibly, to fly between these cities--it's a failing of our system, and i dont want to argue who is to blame about amtrak

the eastern seaboard so obviously lends itself to high speed rail--never gon happen

and actually at this point the solution may remain with individual vehicles of a mix like today, cars ttrucks buses etc--all computer driven and networked for max efficiency, with efficient battery technologies---oh but then there is the problem of our grid.....whatever....

pono, there are innumerable trumpians, incl trump himself, along with loads of other climate deniers who actually think emissions are just part of the hoax---it's a problem===and the guttimg of environmental policy astounds me--among the "reasonable" i am shocked that the environment can be a partisan issue----whatever....
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2019, 03:13:53 AM »
and if we start maufacturing vehicles that allow bad emissions, that'll insure we export nil in the way pf cars and/or car technologies---brilliant!

that's bc all the idiots who live in the rest of the world believe in science and human-caused climate change!!  dopes   morons
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2019, 06:31:05 AM »
Fortunately, I don't think anyone running a big manufacturing company is as stupid as Trump and his minions. It's going to take time, but the internal combustion engine is headed for the scrapheap. As I'm sure you know better than I, the stock market is largely uninterested in fossil fuel companies. Any company that continues to invest in what forward-looking people realize will be a stranded asset is doomed to a cycle of higher cost of capital and less access to it. If the fossil fuel companies didn't make such a stunning amount of money they'd be dying faster than strip mall clothing stores. General consumers are still buying new IC vehicles, but the trend is ugly. Leases are up and retention of older cars is up greatly in what is supposed to be a strong consumer economy. I've heard a lot of weak reasons why that's so (millennials do this..."), but I think it's simply a transition. If I were running the "Let's Keep Burning Fossil Fuel" show I'd be massaging the stories and spinning trends as long as I could. As soon as the general public understands they're buying obsolete shit the exodus will accelerate.

As a former professional bullshit artist I'm offended that the stories are so weak. Although you can get a significant part of the population to believe truly stupid stuff the truly stupid stuff like "electric cars are powered by coal" or "Lithium mining is an ecological disaster" is too clearly nonsense to have legs. I think it's fundamentally a delaying tactic. Every day of delay is worth billions of dollars.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 06:34:31 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2019, 07:50:37 AM »
wait--what's wrong with coal?--i thought there was an unfair war on coal going on?? and yes, when gov't can get right what to subsidize etc, the market ultimately prevails---where $$ are involved, shit--it's happening now

whatever the case, as soon as i can sort out powering my cars, i am going electric--no brainer--if i lived in a house with a driveway or garage, id do it now---rode in a tesla the other day--unreal--simply superior experience--shockingly so--immediate wow factor

i wonder re the future of conventional mass ground transport--electric computer driven networked cars will be so much safer, we could safely operate super-mini human transport vehicles, in addition to more typical vehicle classes--like streaming mass transort on demand
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2019, 11:05:05 AM »
Yes, exactly. It seems odd to me how many people have never ridden in a Tesla. There's nothing like a test ride to shut up all the objections.

I'm old enough to remember when gas stations were as common as superchargers and running out of gas was a pretty common thing that had nothing to do with not paying attention. For some odd reason people generally don't see that the complexity and expense of taking oil out of the ground, transporting it to massive refineries and then transporting the fuel to gas stations can't really compare to the expense of connecting a supercharger to the existing electrical grid. Add a powerwall system to the supercharger and you can combine renewables and off peak power so the grid doesn't need expansion. Tesla aims to take most of it's superchargers off grid in the next three years, and to build most new V3 superchargers as off-grid to begin with. And of course they have all the data they need to do that efficiently. It's actually surprisingly feasible. I did my own version of the math.

From the web: Tesla says its Supercharger network handles an average of 64,000 sessions per day, and doles out a total of about 2.25GWh of energy per day — meaning users take on about 35kWh of energy during an average charging session.

The dinky 40 panel system I plan to add to the south-facing shed roof at the western end of my shop will generate 128 KWH per day in the summer, 48 KWH in the winter. With the 100KWH powerwall I plan to build I'll need to charge a couple of Teslas and do a hell of a lot of welding unless I want to sell a bunch to PP&L for pennies. Either that or scale it back a bunch. The off-grid V3 supercharger stations will probably look like a Costco parking lot, with a few hundred 400 watt PV panels and a 500KWH powerwall.

Tesla is now charging .28 per KWH to owners who aren't grandfathered in to free Supercharging. Maybe that should be my profit center. $28 dollars a day. Nah.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal